Suggestions for purchase if you had a budget of $500-800......

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a budget of about $500 to $800.  I would love suggestions for make up and skin care items to purchase.  I would love your suggestions on all things makeup and creams, lotions etc.  Thanks!

Are you looking to create a routine for yourself from scratch? If you'd like to go with all one high end brand (ie Chanel, Dior) you could go to their counter for a consultation. If you're planning on spending that much money they'd definitely spend a lot of time with you and help you create the perfect kit to use on yourself.

Of course you could also go to Sephora or Ulta and ask for assistance in much the same manner. If you just tell them you're looking to basically purchase an entire makeup/skincare wardrobe they would have someone in most locations who could help you do exactly that.

Very briefly, here are some of my must-have products with varying price points:

Embryolisse Lait-Creme (I usually buy online, very few B&M stores in the US have it yet)

Benefit "They're Real" mascara

Urban Decay Naked Skin Foundation

Tarte Smooth Operator powder

Hard Candy primer (both the white tube and the pink tube, available at US and Canadian WalMarts)

Illamasqua Naked Rose blush

Physicians Formula Happy Boost powder and blush

Essence gel liner in black

Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar

La Roche Posay sunscreen

Urban Decay 24/7 eye liners

Okay  Thank you... That is a great list... I hear good things about most of those products... I just bought the Benefit "they're Real" mascara today.. That is all I got..Thanks for all the suggestions.. I even was going to buy the Illamasqua blush but they were sold out of that color...Thanks again!

I think it is quite popular. Luckily, we live in an age when reviews are abundant, so if you know generally what you're looking for you can check reviews and help to narrow it down. I love buying makeup, but I have never bought nearly $500 worth at once--that sounds so overwhelming to me! Best of luck. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

It all depends on what you'd like to lean towards...as for makeup, it depends on what you like best, what you want featured, etc. I'm assuming you'd prefer less expensive products since you mention a budget.

Coastal Scents has some excellent eyeshadow and blush palettes for such a low price as well as awesome makeup brushes

NYX Doll-Eyes Lengthening Mascara is wonderful

I personally love L'Oreal's Magic BB Cream...I use it instead of foundation

As for highlighter and brighteners, I don't know your skintone, but I love Maybelline's Age Rewind Concealers, especially their brightener for my fair skin tone.

Definitely Urban Decay's 24/7 Eyeliners, they are phenomenal!

I love Starlooks Mineralized Translucent Powder for setting my makeup

I just barely touched upon a few things...what all were you looking for?

As for lotions and skin care, what are you trying to accomplish with your skin care routine?
smile.gif

One thing I'd buy is Smashbox's Camera Ready BB Cream. I've never gotten compliments on my skin with any other makeup (or makeup-free), but multiple people have complimented it when I wear that.

If it were me, for skincare, I'd go to my dermatologist who works with a locally-based company (PCA SkinCare) and have them pick out a regimen, since I already use a few of their items and like them.

Thank you all for the responses..  Actually I am splurging.  I guess I should have said price range... I am using a little of a inheiritance and I wanted to buy some good makeup and skincare. I am actually 52 so I am looking for anti-aging creams as far as skincare goes and also anything that helps with evening out your complexion.  I have olive skin and dark brown hair.  I know I want the Cleu de peau concealer.  I have just heard it is amazing and since I do have dark circles that is a must buy.  I would like a recommendationon for a Great foundation that covers spots but not mask like with maybe a little glow.. I also have brown eyes.  Any recommendations for some great eye shadow colors.  I think I look best in darker eye shadows versus very light ones.  Also I have dark colored lips so light light lipsticks look horrible so I would like recommendations for lipstick colors for everyday use.  My foundation color with Mac C2 in the Face and Body Foundation and Bamboo Beige in Laura Mercier silk creme foundation.  Looking forward to more suggestions...THANKS

Originally Posted by hummingbird /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi What color do you recommend for the Obessive Lip Tar for a brunette with olive skin...
Would you say your skin tone is cool or warm?  Is olive skin automatically warm toned, I'm not sure?

Here are some colors that I have that work with my warm toned complexion.  Keep in mind that you can mix to make the light colors darker, if needed. 

• Interlace~ Palest Peach Creme
  • Hush~ Pale Bridal Pink
  • Memento~ Plum-Toned Pink
  • Melange~ Terracotta Neutral
  • NSFW~ True Red

Some pinks:

Ophelia, Divine, Queen

These are available at Sephora in the Pro's Pick Set v. 2.  You might want to check out the first Pro's Pick Set, as they are warmer colors.

Iced, Kava Kava, Lydia, Hoochie, Pretty Boy

Excellent swatches lulubelle!

Ok, so my suggestions for skin care, given the criteria, is Fresh's skin care line such as their:

Black Tea Age-Delay Set - It has a wonderful soy cleanser that's gentle on the skin, but really washes away all impurities, oil and dirt. The black tea eye cream that hydrates the eye area and reduces wrinkles...gives your eyes a little pep! A mask that's rich in antioxidants that will firm up and soften your skin, and lastly a collagen boosting moisturizer.

Elixir Ancien Serum - My friends swear by this, they said they see HUGE noticeable differences in wrinkles and fine lines and their skin is softer, plumper and well moisturized!

Or if you need a serious over-night moisturizer, then go with their Lotus Youth Preserver Face Cream, it is INTENSE hydration and leaves the skin super-smooth and soft the next day!

Let me know if you want more suggestions or have any questions!
biggrin.gif

Back