Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
meaganola

Starlooks private label manufacture discussion

Recommended Posts

I just have a few questions I clearly have no education or knowledge in starting a makeup line 1) if they are tweaking the ingredients when they say * we is it Starlooks making changes to the products? Or is the private company making the changes for them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by DiorAdora View Post

 

I just have a few questions I clearly have no education or knowledge in starting a makeup line

1) if they are tweaking the ingredients when they say * we is it Starlooks making changes to the products? Or is the private company making the changes for them?

 

It would be the PLM making the changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not read through this entire thread so please forgive me if this is redundant. I know I posted before on my blog and on facebook about this topic and I was FINE with Starlooks repackaging product. Lots of companies do it. I think it was stupid on Starlooks part to not at least RENAME the products so it was harder to find this out. That was how people figured it out. My issue came when the owner came on facebook LYING and saying that her products were somewhat different and that they reformulated them. I pushed the issue and pointed out ingredient lists were IDENTICAL. She argued with me (not an expert by any means, but a bio-pharmaceutical chemistry student) that I just didn't understand how chemicals worked. That little alterations in chemical formulation or percentages could make or beak a product. And that tweaking one thing would actually alter the structural makeup of a chemical.  I understand that, but that would change the ordering and the naming of the ingredient list in SOME way. She used coke and pepsi as an example. Same ingredients, different taste. But then when I pointed out the ingredient lists were DIFFERENT she blocked me. I let the issue drop. 

NOW.......... fast forward months. I was at IMATS two days ago. I was at the Modern Basics booth. 
 

lipsticks are $12 on starlooks page, bronzer is $19 and the royal fan $47. Modern basics prices? the lipsticks were 5/$20 (or $5 each), bronzers $7 and the brush I got was $14So I paid $31 less 15% off for being a beauty blogger (was considered in the industry) instead of $100

 

Seemed like a good way to do a starlooks review (that I will title starlooks review - haha) without paying or supporting starlooks

 

Now I started speaking with the boss of Modern Basics and she said that yes, a lot of companies repackage their products. Again, something I have NO issue with. But I asked her how they have the facilities so that a company like starlooks can go in and tweak formulations and play around with formulas. She said they CAN'T. FLAT OUT. Yes, they do SPECIAL formulations and product creations for companies, but they do NOT adjust, tweak or reformulate the stock products.

Now we all know I have a big mouth and am a sh*t disturber at times, and I feel like yelling and screaming at the top of my lungs that Marci is a LIAR and a FRAUD, but that would serve no purpose. So instead, I will try out the products I bought (since they do get GREAT reviews, and I will simply post my experience on my blog and let those who look for it to read it and those who dont, not to.

I anyways CANT post on facebook because they blocked me, but I really WANT to. BAH!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:

Originally Posted by Polish Jinx View Post

 

My issue came when the owner came on facebook LYING and saying that her products were somewhat different and that they reformulated them. I pushed the issue and pointed out ingredient lists were IDENTICAL. She argued with me (not an expert by any means, but a bio-pharmaceutical chemistry student) that I just didn't understand how chemicals worked. That little alterations in chemical formulation or percentages could make or beak a product. And that tweaking one thing would actually alter the structural makeup of a chemical.  I understand that, but that would change the ordering and the naming of the ingredient list in SOME way. She used coke and pepsi as an example. Same ingredients, different taste. But then when I pointed out the ingredient lists were DIFFERENT she blocked me. I let the issue drop. 

 

A few friends of mine who do understand what goes into making products have told me the same thing, ingredients can be tweaked just a bit without it changing the order the INCI. (See my next comment below.)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polish Jinx View Post
 


NOW.......... fast forward months. I was at IMATS two days ago. I was at the Modern Basics booth. 
 

lipsticks are $12 on starlooks page, bronzer is $19 and the royal fan $47. Modern basics prices? the lipsticks were 5/$20 (or $5 each), bronzers $7 and the brush I got was $14So I paid $31 less 15% off for being a beauty blogger (was considered in the industry) instead of $100

 

Of course her prices are going to be higher because she's trying to make a profit and the prices at IMATS was lower was because it's also a trade show so prices are typically up to 50% off retail. Yes she's almost a 60% mark up but most cosmetics have a high mark up. Example, OPI has a 50% mark up ($8) retail vs ($4),pro price... same with so many other companies. Sure hers is a little higher than 50% at 58.25% mark up but it's really not too bad of a markup. This is why she's able to do the sales she does and the subscription boxes because she's not taking a hit on her profits. I can't fault her for that, it's a smart business move with the subscription boxes because it does bring in the business.

 

Personally, I very much doubt I would actually buy her products not because the products are bad but because I have the subscription box (again) and am content with the items sent to me for under $20 per month ($15 + $2.25 shipping). Granted I can't pick my own colors but that's okay for me.

 

As for purchasing from Modern Basics, the only thing is that one can't really purchase directly from them unless you make a $100+ purchase. Of hand I don't remember what the minimum order was but many PLMs have a minimum order of any where from at little as $100 up to $200. They are after all a private label manufacturer that doesn't cater to the general public. Lady Burd is the same way. Now PLMs like Morphe, Crown and a few others do sell directly to customers and they do mark up their products a bit.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polish Jinx View Post
 
 

Now I started speaking with the boss of Modern Basics and she said that yes, a lot of companies repackage their products. Again, something I have NO issue with. But I asked her how they have the facilities so that a company like starlooks can go in and tweak formulations and play around with formulas. She said they CAN'T. FLAT OUT. Yes, they do SPECIAL formulations and product creations for companies, but they do NOT adjust, tweak or reformulate the stock products.

 

It's the same with Lady Burd and other PLMs, their stock products can't be changed except by the PLM.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polish Jinx View Post

Now we all know I have a big mouth and am a sh*t disturber at times, and I feel like yelling and screaming at the top of my lungs that Marci is a LIAR and a FRAUD, but that would serve no purpose. So instead, I will try out the products I bought (since they do get GREAT reviews, and I will simply post my experience on my blog and let those who look for it to read it and those who dont, not to.

 

I wouldn't go so far as calling Marci a fraud. She's not doing something like taking people's money and not providing them with product (*coughlikeacertaincompanycough*).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadidoll View Post
 

 

A few friends of mine who do understand what goes into making products have told me the same thing, ingredients can be tweaked just a bit without it changing the order the INCI. (See my next comment below.)

 

 

Of course her prices are going to be higher because she's trying to make a profit and the prices at IMATS was lower was because it's also a trade show so prices are typically up to 50% off retail. Yes she's almost a 60% mark up but most cosmetics have a high mark up. Example, OPI has a 50% mark up ($8) retail vs ($4),pro price... same with so many other companies. Sure hers is a little higher than 50% at 58.25% mark up but it's really not too bad of a markup. This is why she's able to do the sales she does and the subscription boxes because she's not taking a hit on her profits. I can't fault her for that, it's a smart business move with the subscription boxes because it does bring in the business.

 

Personally, I very much doubt I would actually buy her products not because the products are bad but because I have the subscription box (again) and am content with the items sent to me for under $20 per month ($15 + $2.25 shipping). Granted I can't pick my own colors but that's okay for me.

 

As for purchasing from Modern Basics, the only thing is that one can't really purchase directly from them unless you make a $100+ purchase. Of hand I don't remember what the minimum order was but many PLMs have a minimum order of any where from at little as $100 up to $200. They are after all a private label manufacturer that doesn't cater to the general public. Lady Burd is the same way. Now PLMs like Morphe, Crown and a few others do sell directly to customers and they do mark up their products a bit.

 

 

It's the same with Lady Burd and other PLMs, their stock products can't be changed except by the PLM.

 

 

I wouldn't go so far as calling Marci a fraud. She's not doing something like taking people's money and not providing them with product (*coughlikeacertaincompanycough*).

 

I have no issue with the repackaging or the pricing (though I would not pay the pricing MYSELF when I KNOW I can get the same thing for less. But my issue and my ONLY issue is that she out and out LIED and continues too. She can alter things slightly and keep ingredients the same, but she is NOT tweaking anything. She is lying through her teeth. When you claim you are changing the ingredients and you aren't and you are saying your products are specially altered and are not, that to me is FRAUD!! She has a gift obviously for choosing the RIGHT products to put in her line and label. I am not arguing that. But lying and saying you are making the product (she actually originally said she had someone working full time formulating her products) yourself and you are not, that is to me as big a fraud as possible. I might be aging myself here a tad, but I would call her the milli vanilli of the makeup world. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello people! 

 

As a friendly reminder to all members, personal attacks towards ANY people (and this includes officers of certain companies) are not allowed on MakeupTalk. This includes posting personal information as well. 

 

Keep in mind that this thread is titled: Starlooks private label manufacture discussion, so please keep the discussion on topic.

 

Thanks! :smilehappyyes: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadidoll View Post
 

I was checking out some of the PLMs and came across this from Rozelle. Thought it was interesting info to have in light that Starlooks uses Modern Basics to purchase their products from.

 


I know this is a bit late, I'm researching new subs but nail polish itself isn't necessarily considered a cosmetic.  This is why distributors do not need to label it as such.  It's advertised for the same sections but FDA somewhat separates it when you get into the down and dirty statutes.  It still needs to maintain sterility, quality standards, etc. - hence the FDA oversight, but it's labeling isn't as stringent.

 

Makeup on the other hand - anything that colors your skin is the general rule of thumb.  Body glitter is treated the same as lipstick.  If they are NOT disclosing (at minimum) the city and name of their distributor, they are in violation of labeling laws.  You cannot do private labeling without it.  When I had a contract for private labeling for others, I HAD to include my business name and city under "manufactured by".  This was mostly due to the fact that my business name was on the state registry, thus I could be found in case of liability and avoid the distributor's liability so I didn't need to provide my address on the label.  In fact, most insurance policies will require if you either provide private labeling OR sell items someone else made, the manufacturer must be supplied where it can be viewed without purchase.  Again, minimizing liability issues is the biggest reason.  The person who sells must carry insurance and if they are selling someone else's products, they are only covered for issues with distribution while the issues with the formula would be the manufacturer.

 

I know this because with my own business, I used to manufacture cosmetics myself.  My state doesn't allow it and when I moved, I had to shut that portion down to comply with the law.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadidoll View Post
 

Thank you for the information, @Seola. I didn't even know that you're required to have insurance for that.

Most states are now requiring it.  Since most businesses are set up as LLCs, when there is a problem - if there were no business assets, there is no one to hold financially responsible for injury, illness or death.  Anyone who isn't small time, I can't imagine would sell without insurance though.  My policy was $1m to cover any of my products and was only $550 a year so it's fairly inexpensive for such a huge policy.

 

There are a few stone age states that haven't passed laws requiring business owners be held accountable, but I would expect anyone contributing to sub boxes to comply with the law and have insurance given the reach of many of them (ETA) and hope that those putting them in sub boxes would ensure they have all their ducks in a row, including insurance before passing it along to us.  The labeling issue to me, would be a big one but that's because this means the product passed through 3 companies hands without complying before making it to us.  If they can't comply with the simplest parts of FDA guidelines... what else are they missing or not doing?  I have no qualms about private labels personally.  As long as they are clear.  What if one was contaminated and gave me eye infections?  This means I would have to call the sub company, who calls the cosmetic line, who then calls the distributor.  How long would that take?  How many other people who might have issues not get the memo?  Cosmetics go near some of our most precious orifices and can directly affect sight, smell, and taste.  I'd want to know who the the manufacturer AND distributor is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • NARS Cosmetics Shop Cargo Cosmetics Today!


About MakeupTalk®

© 2003-2018 MakeupTalk.com®, an active online community and message board geared towards members wanting to discuss everything to do with makeup, cosmetics, product reviews, monthly subscription boxes and general beauty related topics. Our community provides product reviews, makeup and general beauty tips. Our most popular topics are subscription boxes and their monthly spoilers. Join our community for free to take part in the conversations and share your own beauty tips and product reviews with others. We look forward to seeing you online here at Makeuptalk®!

MakeupTalk® Facebook

×