Allergic Reaction To ELF Eyeshadow/Eyeshadow Primer?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else has had any allergic reactions to ELF eyeshadows or eyeshadow primer?

I've had an allergic reaction to the skin surrounding my eyes twice now and both have resulted in me in the emergency ward trying to treat the swelling.

I'm just curious if anyone else has had any similar issues? Or if anyone knows what ingredient is in these products that i could be allergic to that I should avoid in the future?

I've already asked at the hopsital to be desensitised to try and find out what it is and they told me to just use trial and error to solve it.. I was wondering if anyone knew if there is any ingredients in these products that cause allergic reactions in a large number of people?

Thanks for your help in advance :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

- Willow.

Oh wow! I didn't have swelling but I did get bumps all over my eyelid after about 2 uses. I don't use that anymore, or any face products. Their eyeshadows don't break me out though!

I've not had any issue with the elf line (but I haven't used the primer specifically), but I am not able to use the Kat Von D eye primer.  It does the same thing to me.  My eyes get puffy, itchy, and red.  I'm able to use every other item in her makeup line (and I love it!), just not the primer.  

Have you used KVD's eye primer and had issues with it?  Perhaps the ingredients are related?  

It is trial-and-error. and a lengthy one at that. First off, are we talking an allergic reaction here? or is it a sensitivity? There is a huge difference to both. Especially when your skins' pH is rebalancing it's self out, which takes about 5 to 7 days. Most people are sensitive to the talcs and pigments in shadows. Then there are the dyes in the products. Are you taking any meds? A change in your diet? Unusual stress? Any new introduction to your environment, like a pet? People? Also, how clean are your brushes and tools? Again, each person is different in terms of their health, habits and hygiene, and their environment is also different from everyone else's. These's are factors that you need to take into account as well, when you do your Trial and error. Patience is key here if go this route, like weeks to months with detailed note taking so you can eliminate causes and factors. Then again you also get what you pay for... Cheap make-up is most likely the culprit. But proper hygiene can resolve it. But ultimately you're back to square one... Which takes weeks to months.

I have had to stop using ELF eyeshadow. I didn't develop anything violent, but I was getting a fine rash where it was applied - more like constant very dry skin on my eyelid, the crease and below my brow line. Very irritating and often itchy on the very delicate skin. Constant fine peeling. Stung, sometimes cracking. Tried everything thinking it was from soap or makeup remover or moisturizer. However, as a test I stopped using ELF and went to Almay and Marcelle which I know are hypoallergenic, and poof. After months, it's gone. Never had this problem before with eye make up. Don't thing I'll be using up my ELF eye make up, which I really really liked in terms of quality, coverage, colours, value. I'm allergic to something in there. Still using their matte lipstick and loving it.  

Hello dolls! I just recently decided to go for only cruelty free products. I decided to use ELF so far don't know if it's the lotion wipes or if the eyeshadow sticks are causing me irritation or perhaps combo! But my whole face is pretty bad... As if I had eczema. I'm worried because I don't want to go back to using animal testesd products. Any suggestions.... I leave you with this imagine if we feel bad when we deal with allergic reactions can you imagine the poor victims that can't speak for themselves!!!!!
I'm pretty sure E.L.F. is not cruelty-free. I didn't see it on the Leaping Bunny List. I stay away from the PETA site because of the pictures. I watch a couple of YouTubers who are trying to go cruelty-free and they avoid E.L.F. products. I know E.L.F. products are made in China, but I don't know of they are sold in China. Chinese law requires animal testing for all cosmetic products sold in China. If you want more details, visit http://www.leapingbunny.org/

Quote: Originally Posted by peridotcricket /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm pretty sure E.L.F. is not cruelty-free. I didn't see it on the Leaping Bunny List. I stay away from the PETA site because of the pictures. I watch a couple of YouTubers who are trying to go cruelty-free and they avoid E.L.F. products. I know E.L.F. products are made in China, but I don't know of they are sold in China. Chinese law requires animal testing for all cosmetic products sold in China. If you want more details, visit

http://www.leapingbunny.org/

PETA has them listed as cruelty free, and there's' a few other online bloggers listing them as cruelty free. I don't buy much of their stuff since it's so cheap and made in China, the ingredients might be shady.

YES!  My right eye started burning 8 hours after applying Elf eyeshadow. I immediately washed it all off (it was a brand new shadow). The damage was already done! When I woke up this morning, my eye was almost swollen shut. I showered & applied melaleuca oil, which burned, but within 15 minutes, the swelling was going down. My left eyelid is itchy, but didn't swell.  I am boycotting elf and if this occurs to more people, maybe should look at a lawsuit?

I bought ELF eyeshadow primer after reading that it was one of the top primers. After the first time I used it, my eyelid was itchy. Thought it was strange but didn't think too much about it. A week later I have red spots under my eyes & my eyelids are swollen. They're both very painful. Thought it was due to high pollen count. Now I know I'm not the only one.

What did you do for relief?

Thank you.

I've never had a reaction to e.l.f. products, but you really won't know until you go through the trial and error process like vogueboy mentioned above. And even if you haven't had a reaction in the past, there are a lot of factors that can cause you to react in ways that differ from before. The best and safest bet is to simply discontinue use.

In the few cases I have had very severe reactions, I compare the (known) ingredients to other products I know do not cause a bad reaction until I can narrow it down to just a few potential culprits, and then I try to avoid buying products with those ingredients. However, keep in mind that if you live in the US, the FDA does not require cosmetics to declare ingredients that are considered "trade secret", which means that there are unspecified "other ingredients" in many cosmetic products. These could also trigger a bad response.

if you find that you are reacting to more than one e.l.f. products, I suggest discontinuing use of the entire brand. It's simply not worth it for a few cheap cosmetics. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I recently turned to Elf thinking I could save money since I had been such a big fan of Nars and Mac. Unfortunately, I didn't even begin having allergic reactions until I began using Elf and it began with the eye primer. At first I thought it was because I used the pearl eye primer. But then I tried the basic eye primer and still felt the  itching and burning on my inner eyelid. I gave my eyes a break from the stuff and stuck with eyeliner.  I recently tried the cream eye liner by Elf and was left with what looks like a chemical burn on my inner eye lid.  I wish I had read the reviews before trying the crap.  Stick with what you know.  I don't know if it's drug store make up or just Elf products but I'm sticking with higher end make up products instead.

No problems with elf but I don't use a lot of their products. Now-I've had the same dryness and almost rash stuff occur with milani baked eyeshadows....only milani.

I started using e.l.f. eyelid primer lock and didn't have any problems.  Just recently when I reordered the product, the container was a different color though the product color is the same.  I read the information from each one and one is made in China (new one) and my old one is made in USA.   I started using the China made one and my eyes are starting to become irritated. I'm not sure if it's the eye lock primer or a new body lotion I just started using (Nivea). I'm eliminating the Nivea to see if perhaps it's the China made eye lock e.l.f product.   Has anyone else had any similar issues with China vs USA made?

Latest posts

Back