Makeup removal for clients

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Artists!

My question concerns removing makeup from clients that come in already wearing makeup. I know to use makeup removal wipes (or wet wipes), actual solutions designed for makeup removal, but can witch hazel be used? Many of the makeup removal solutions just don't seem to take it all off. I personally use witch hazel but I am unsure for others. Also if you can suggest some really effective make removers, that would be great. Thank you so much!

The short answer? Probably not a good idea.

If there's even the tiniest accident and the littlest bit gets inside of someone's eye, it's going to burn and I promise they will curse your entire family. Haha. 

It's an astringent (kind of like a toner), not a cleanser, so it tightens the skin. This may feel very uncomfortable to some people. While witch hazel does a lot of really great things for a lot of peoples' skin, it's generally not a good rule to swap it out for a gentle dual phase makeup remover.

Bioderma soution is really good and I like any store bought waterproof makeup remover (I think L'oreal or Nivea has a really good one) They always have one section of white and one section of blue fluid. 

In short, the eye makeup removers (intended for waterproof makeup) is excellent

Here's the thing with removers... Removers lift and suspend the make-up. Toners remove that suspension that's left on the face. You would never use a toner by itself to remove make-up, as it won't work. Also witch hazel as already mention, is not good to use as a toner as its not pH balanced for your clients' skin. At the end of the day or at wrap, actors (clients) absolutely hate being in the chair, so the removal process should be less than 2 min. Typically 30 sec is ideal. For that I use wipes, most MUA's disagree with me on this, but in my experience, actors, models, athletes etc, want it off quickly and they prefer to do the rest at home. Most females tend to wipe down the lipstick and blush and leave to remove the rest at home. On heavier applications, (not S/FX) I sometimes use the dry Olay wipes that you slightly wet, so the remover is activated. Even then I try to keep it within 3 to 2 mins. Including applying a moisturizer afterwards. I find using the typical 3 step removal process is too messy and time consuming. And in the clients mind, they think it's a another long process in the chair which they don't want at wrap. So I avoid it. But I recommend it for them when they are at home. But for everyday make-ups (tv / film / photoshoot) I use wipes. Even for those typical 1 min make-up changes, wipes are your best friend. I find baby wipes too gentle, hence you have to use like 4 wipes. Wet-Ones are better, as you only need one sheet. The typical make-up branded wipes are too expensive for the number of sheets you get, especially when you have 30 - 200 bg to clean up. Then there is the conversation within the Pro MUA community about the ingredients in wipes regardless of type and brand and the pros and cons are evenly divided, definitely a hot contentious issue on a lot of sets.

Sorry this is late but thank you all for responding!!! Your answers are so helpful.

Not exactly a ground breaking discovery, but I swear by Neutrogena Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover. It takes off all traces of eye makeup quickly, even lashes and it doesn't burn/sting. The only slight down fall is it can leave a slight residue on the skin, so I just make sure to use a babywhipe afterward.

I've been using organic extra virgin raw coconut oil (of course I have a detailed form for people to fill out their history and allergies etc. and I have yet to come across anyone with an allergy to it). It is so much less expensive than any high end or most drugstore products and has many benefits as well.

I've been using organic extra virgin raw coconut oil (of course I have a detailed form for people to fill out their history and allergies etc. and I have yet to come across anyone with an allergy to it). It is so much less expensive than any high end or most drugstore products and has many benefits as well.
At least you have a waiver. However there is a reason why the industry doesn't use food based make-ups and removers including in special effects... Allergies, spoilage, fragrance, and insects. Sure at home you can, but most definitely not on celebs or A-listers. Removers and toners have specific ingredients which don't leave any residues including scents. I've been in a lot of make-up trailers, and they're all scent free, as none of us use food based products. I've heard of certain actors request organic make-ups, but that's quite different.

Back