Ipsy Science: AKA How on Earth did you get that bag, girlfriend?!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
[SIZE=10pt]OK, so I said when I got my bags this month, I was going to post my profile information and results in the hopes we could compare them and figure out which profile selections resulted in which products being received. So, here goes. (Note: I do not know what color eyeliner I’m getting, cream or powder blush, etc., so I will try to update this list when I actually get my bags in the mail. Also, keep in mind that Ipsy says the things you ‘like’ with little hearts will influence which bag they assign to you for the month. That is hard to deal with, but I will make notes under my age as applicable to this month.)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Bag #1: The Real Me[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Looks selected: Classic, Bridal, Formal, Natural, Professional, Sultry[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Stylists selected: Promise, Heart, Charis[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Comfort level: Somewhat comfortable[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Adventurous level: Not very adventurous[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Brands selected: All EXCEPT for--Covergirl, ELF, Kiehl's, L'Oreal, Maybelline, Philosophy, Living Proof, Kerastase, Yes To, Murad, Carol's Daughter, and Neutrogena[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Products I love most: Eyeshadow, eyeliner, lipstick, and lip gloss[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Skin, hair, and nail products: Moisturizer, treatment, masks/exfoliators, nail colors, and fragrance[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Shop at: Specialty, department stores, online[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Skin tone: Light[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Skin concerns: Redness[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Eye color: Hazel[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Hair: Light brown[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Hair description: NONE (chose to skip in the hopes I do not receive hair products)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Age: Said I was born in 1975[/SIZE]

Things liked: Purple looks (to try to get purple eyeliner) and any Mosaic blushes

Bag #1 Results: Blush, lip pencil, J Cat palette, [EYELINER, HIGHLIGHTER]

Bag #2: My Wild Side

[SIZE=10pt]Looks selected: Hip/edgy, club goer, sultry, worldly[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Stylists selected: Michelle, Andrea, Bethany, Kandee (Note: I skipped Jessica because people suspect she was the one that selected St. Tropez last month--which I got and HATED)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Comfort level: Very comfortable[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Adventurous level: Somewhat adventurous[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Brands selected: All EXCEPT for--Same as above, but I did include Kiehl's (never tried them)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Products I love most: Primer/BB cream, eyeshadow, eyeliner, lipstick[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Skin, hair, and nail products: Treatment, nail colors, fragrance[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Shop at: Specialty, online[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Skin tone: Fair[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Skin concerns: Fine lines/wrinkles, oiliness/large pores[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Hair description: Needs volume, dry and damaged[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Age: Said I was born in 1980[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Things liked: Same as above[/SIZE]

Bag #2 Results: Blush, lip pencil, J Cat palette, [EYELINER, EYELASHES]

Bag #3: Anything Goes 

[SIZE=10pt]Looks selected: Classic, natural, vintage/retro, sultry, simple[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Stylists selected: Same as #1[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Comfort level: Very comfortable[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Adventurous level: Very adventurous[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Brands selected: All EXCEPT for--Same as #2[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Products I love most: Foundation, powder, concealer, primer/bb cream, eyeshadow, eyeliner, lip gloss, brushes, tools[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Skin, hair, and nail products: Moisturizer, treatment, masks/exfoliators, nail colors, fragrance, body lotion, bath/shower gels[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Shop at: Company stores, tv, online[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Skin concerns: Dryness/dehydration[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Hair description: NONE (chose to skip in the hopes I do not receive hair products)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Age: Said I was born in 1985[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Things liked: Same as above[/SIZE]

Bag #3 Results: Blush, lip pencil, J Cat palette, [EYELINER, HIGHLIGHTER]

THOUGHTS/ANALYSIS: My only thought at the moment comes from comparing bag 2 and bag 3. In bag 3, I selected "Simple" as one of my looks. My guess would be that anyone who said they liked things simple did NOT receive eyelashes as we all know they aren't exactly simple and easy. I think this over ruled comfort level or adventurous level. But did anyone say they liked "Simple" products and they still got eyelashes?

The only two looks I have liked on my quiz are simple and natural. I got the eyelashes this month. I'm totally fine with it because I've never used them. I don't know if it matters or not, but I have very adventurous selected. Maybe they think about sending things that are different than what they think you would normally wear if you have that selected?

Oh, and I have somewhat comfortable selected. 

Hmm...Very interesting. So there goes my theory on the eyelashes. I will say this, I had said I wanted eyeliner in all 3 profiles, and I got eyeliner in all 3 bags. So I was impressed that they listened on that. Sure, with only 2 colors, I am assured to have at least 2 of them be the same, but it gives me yet another chance to get the Purple I want most and the Iron I want as well. (If I get 3 Iron's, I will try to trade for Purple). I'm wondering if skipping the hair question did help avoid Psssttt in 2 of my bags? For the other bag, I'm thinking if I selected dry and damaged like I did, maybe they are thinking powder is drying so it would not be right for me? In a way, though I did not want it, it might have been nice to get Psssttt instead of 2 highlighters, but then again, I can buy Psssttt at a lot of drugstores on the cheap. If the highlighter is fantastic, I might keep both. If not, I may trade or sell it. But I doubt I'll seek out the Psssttt in trade for anything. Now I just hope I get a good mix of blushes and colors. Can't wait to get my bags, or just a tracking # for that matter.

Thanks so much for replying! I'm anxious to see what others think about their quiz profiles in relation to their results for June.

Here are my June results:

Hip/Edgy, Club-Goer, Sultry

Andrea, Kandee, Promise

Very Comfortable with Makeup

Somewhat Adventurous

Brands: all but Josie Maran, Covergirl, Maybelline, Living Proof, Carol's Daughter, Ahava, Yes To

Blush/Bronzer, Eyeshadow, Eyeliner, Mascara, Lipgloss, Brushes, Tools

Cleanser, Moisturizer, Treatment, Masks/Exfoliators, Nail Color, Hair Styling, Hair Tools, Body Lotion

Specialty Retailers, Dept Stores, Company Stores, Online

Skin = Fair

Skin Concerns are Oiliness and Large Pores

Eyes = Blue

Hair = Red

Hair needs volume, split ends

Results: Blush, lip pencil, glitter palette, gel liner, and the dreaded Pssst dry shampoo.

I'm assuming my 'needs volume' is what screwed me with the dry shampoo, but I don't really consider dry shampoo to be an appropriate product for volumizing and texture.. more a cleanser with the added affect of giving 2nd day hair a little boost.

Hm, your bag number two is basically the same as my profile AND I got that same bag (according to my glam room).

Originally Posted by MissAprosexia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hm, your bag number two is basically the same as my profile AND I got that same bag (according to my glam room).
That's great news! I mean, I hope it is what you want. But I'm saying I think it is great news if we are at least seeing some consistency. Maybe we can crack the code after all, haha!

Haha, no, it's exactly what I wanted (here's to hoping that eyeliner is purple).  The only reall difference was that my stylists were just Michelle and Andrea and my hair is Red.

My grandmother answered the quiz as follows (to the best of my memory):

[SIZE=10pt]Looks selected: Classic, Natural, Professional[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Stylists selected: Promise[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Comfort level: Somewhat comfortable[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Adventurous level: Not very adventurous[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Brands selected: Not sure?  Mostly high end stuff.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Products I love most: lipstick, foundation, brow stuff, powder, blush[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Skin, hair, and nail products: Moisturizer, treatment, nail colors, and fragrance[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Shop at: online[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Skin concerns: Wrinkles, Dryness[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Eye color: Blue[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Hair: White[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Hair description: Curly[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Age: 87[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]She got the eyeliner and the brow pencil.[/SIZE]

Originally Posted by unicorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Here are my June results:

Hip/Edgy, Club-Goer, Sultry

Andrea, Kandee, Promise

Very Comfortable with Makeup

Somewhat Adventurous

Brands: all but Josie Maran, Covergirl, Maybelline, Living Proof, Carol's Daughter, Ahava, Yes To

Blush/Bronzer, Eyeshadow, Eyeliner, Mascara, Lipgloss, Brushes, Tools

Cleanser, Moisturizer, Treatment, Masks/Exfoliators, Nail Color, Hair Styling, Hair Tools, Body Lotion

Specialty Retailers, Dept Stores, Company Stores, Online

Skin = Fair

Skin Concerns are Oiliness and Large Pores

Eyes = Blue

Hair = Red

Hair needs volume, split ends

Results: Blush, lip pencil, glitter palette, gel liner, and the dreaded Pssst dry shampoo.

I'm assuming my 'needs volume' is what screwed me with the dry shampoo, but I don't really consider dry shampoo to be an appropriate product for volumizing and texture.. more a cleanser with the added affect of giving 2nd day hair a little boost.
Hmm...I had "needs volume" too on one profile and didn't get it. My guess would be that you had down that you liked hair styling and hair tools. Maybe so few people said they liked hair products that those who said they were open to getting them were pegged as the best group to get Pssstttt? Just my guess, given our similarities and differences in profiles.

I marked Simple and still received the eyelashes... marked that my hair needed volume and received highlighter instead of dry shampoo.... go figure....I

don't understand the mix of products based on the profiles that's for sure... I don't have a clue as what to mark, so I guess I'll just leave it. I've never

tried lashes (hence the Simple profile)....guess I'll need to try them.

BAG 1: Looks selected: Classic, Vintage/Retro, Sultry   Stylists selected: Kandee, Michelle, Andrea Comfort level: Somewhat Comfortable Adventurous level: Very Adventurous Brands selected: Benefit, Bobbi Brown, e.l.f., UD, Juice, Lancome, L'Oreal, MAC, MUFE, Maybelline, The Balm, OPI, Philosophy, stila, NYX, Butter, Lorac, Too Faced, nails inc, fresh, Origins, essie Products I love most: powder, blush, eye shadow, eyeliner, mascara, lipstick, brushes, tools Skin, hair, and nail products: moisturizer, treatment, nail colors, hair styling, hair tools, body lotion Shop at: mass, specialty, department, company, online Skin tone: light Skin concerns: dryness & dehydration Eye color: hazel Hair: light brown Hair description: needs volume, frizzy Age: 20   Things liked: Nyx Cream Blush, Cailyn Linefix Gel Eyeliner   What's in the bag? Nyx Mosaic Blush in Silk, Cailyn Linefix Gel Eyeliner in Iron, J.Cat Sparkling Cream Palette in Volta (cool tone), Starlooks Lip Liner in Bare, Chella Ivory Lace Highlighter   ANALYSIS: The blush color is perfect for my light skin tone. The fact that I had "liked" the cream blush did not factor in to my bag but it is unknown when they ran Ipsy Match. It may have been after I liked the blush. I feel that the eyeliner color fits in with my chosen "looks" better than purple would have. Ditto the selection of Bare lip liner. Highlighter also seems like a "classic" choice but lashes could have fit as well.

I have a second profile that I will add to the thread once I receive it. 

I have dry and frizzy selected and am still getting the dry shampoo. I also stated that I didn't want hair products. So there goes that theory as well.

Originally Posted by Heather Hicks /img/forum/go_quote.gif

THOUGHTS/ANALYSIS: My only thought at the moment comes from comparing bag 2 and bag 3. In bag 3, I selected "Simple" as one of my looks. My guess would be that anyone who said they liked things simple did NOT receive eyelashes as we all know they aren't exactly simple and easy. I think this over ruled comfort level or adventurous level. But did anyone say they liked "Simple" products and they still got eyelashes?
The only looks I had selected was Natural and Simple and I got eyelashes and highlighter. I had eyeliner selected but did not receive eyeliner... even though there are two shades available. I'll admit, I'm rather baffled at how I managed to get this bag this month. But then highlighter was probably the most natural/simple out of that group of items.

On another note, I skipped the hair question and avoided the dry shampoo. Not sure if it's a coincidence though.

Originally Posted by Heather Hicks /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hmm...I had "needs volume" too on one profile and didn't get it. My guess would be that you had down that you liked hair styling and hair tools. Maybe so few people said they liked hair products that those who said they were open to getting them were pegged as the best group to get Pssstttt? Just my guess, given our similarities and differences in profiles.
I think you're right! Needless to say.. I unchecked hair stuff for future bags, haha. A hair product would have to be REEEALLY amazing at this point for me to switch from my Tigi Your Highness products, and Ipsy doesn't really send out the kind of brands that I'd usually want to use in my hair. I'll stick to birchbox for my skincare/haircare, and Ipsy for my makeup and 'fun' stuff.

Originally Posted by Juicesnberriez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have dry and frizzy selected and am still getting the dry shampoo. I also stated that I didn't want hair products. So there goes that theory as well.
okay, now I'm just puzzled.

I reeeally hope the reviews/surveys help this matching start to make some sense.

I don't think they *really* used the Ipsy Match this month. I've noticed that there seem to be very specific bag combos with certain blush/lip liner/glitter colors. Like all the Psssst bags have the warm toned glitter palette, and they also all seem to have brighter blush & lip liner colors. I've also noticed that all the bags with the lashes seem to have the cooler glitter and the bare lip liner. It's like they put together certain bag variations ahead of time and maybe tried to match you to one thing, even if that meant the rest of your bag was a miss. Hopefully I'm wrong and there are more variations it just seems really specific and not actually customized like they claim to be. 

I just re-checked my profile because this month is pretty much a complete bust for me. The only two products I would have used are the dry shampoo and the highlighter pencil, and do you think I'm getting either of them?? Nope. I have "Professional, Simple, and Natural" as my styles. I specifically left off all lip products and eyeliner from my profile and said I wanted hair products, and I'm getting the lip liner and the liquid eyeliner. In purple, no less! I'm not sure what professional office would be keen on purple liquid liner and false eyelashes! I skipped the stylist question entirely because I haven't had time to check them out and have no idea what each person's style actually is. I don't know if that hurts or helps? I'm leaving reviews on everything saying "please don't send me this again" so we'll see if that helps! 

Yeah, it is all very frustrating, isn't it? I am 100% convinced they aren't down to trying to match colors yet. (Scares me, because I am pretty partial to pink blushes--hate peachy ones--certainly don't want to be saddled with Pecan.) Anyway, every time I think something makes sense, someone comes along and proves me wrong. I don't know. I mean, I'm sure they are going for the 'best match' based on profiles, but they aren't doing a very good job of it yet. Maybe the reviews will help, to an extent. But even then, I have issues with the way the reviews might be used, and though I asked Ipsy about that on their FB page, all I got was a totally useless lip service answer. 
tongue.gif
 I wish they'd give a little direction as to how to fill out the reviews to help guide their Ipsy Match program or whatever. Like, what I asked was in relation to the glitter palette (But I was nice--I promise!). I asked, what if we didn't like the palette itself, but we do like glittery things and say we would like to try more from J Cat but just not the glitter palette? In other words, how would they interpret low scores for a product? Would it only affect that specific product? Or, would they think I wouldn't want glittery things or nothing from J Cat? Anyways, I think they got the message in relation to the J Cat palette specifically. But in thinking about reviewing other products, this is our way of talking to them. I just want to know how they are going to interpret what we are saying. All they said was "the reviews are just one thing taken into consideration" or something to that effect. Duh! I want to know *how* they are taken into consideration and *to what extent.* 
icon_rolleyes.gif

Well, I did select very adventurous so maybe that explains the lashes? I really don't know. Like others have mentioned this month, I do not get the feeling that they are using the ipsyMatch this month at all.

Latest posts

Back