Setting Powder Foundation with More Powder?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I understand the idea of setting a liquid or cream foundation with powder to keep it matte and to keep it from fading as fast and so on. However, I was watching a video today and the person applied BareMineral powder foundation and then set the foundation with L'Oreal True Match powder. In her case she had also applied concealer in between the two, but she did state that the powder was to set the foundation as well. Assuming that is in fact what she was doing (setting powder with more powder)... why?

I am not trying to be snarky (though I am almost positive this may be coming off that way, unfortunately), I am just wondering if this is something that I should be doing. I wear BareMinerals READY foundation (pressed powder) sometimes, but I always just apply the primer (the BareMinerals kind, which is kind of like a gel), then the foundation and that is it. I do have a small version of the mineral veil that I use to set my tinted moisturizer when I wear that as my foundation, but it just seemed like adding the veil over the already powder foundation might move the powder around too much and make things too powdery, really.

I used to wear BareMinerals and I never did that. I think it's odd..I mean the powder foundation to me is like a base and powder all in one..I did use to Mineral Veil sometimes over my foundation, it didn't make mine look powdery it made it look smoother.

I'm no pro but setting powder with powder doesn't seem right @ all... Maybe she was nervous and didn't realize what she said.

You don't need to powder over a powder foundation. That seems excessive. MissJM said the artist in the video applied concealer after the powder foundation, yes you would powder the concealer to set it, but to re-powder over the powder foundation is definitely not necessary. Perhaps the artist made a mistake???

Not sure if it is appropriate to post the video, but it was one of the Ipsy stylists new videos. ThatsHeart I think. I mean the look was pretty and everything. It just confused me. A lot of other people commented the same thing on the video, so I guess I am not the only one who noticed, but it looks like those comments are gone now. Weird.

Hmm... A lot of mineral makeup companies sell finishing powders that (as far as I know) are meant to be used with mineral foundations. They seem to claim different things, too: oil control, soft focus effect, minimizing fine lines... 

I wonder if they only sell them because customers are used to setting liquid and cream foundation with a powder so they want to continue the habit with mineral foundation. Never tried the combination before but now I'm kind of curious. Seems kind of excessive to me but hey, if it works for the girl in the video, good for her. 

I used to wear Bare Minerals and used the Mineral Veil over the powder foundation and it was just so...powdery looking! Seems odd to me, but I mostly have no idea what I'm doing lol

Yeah sounds like a crossing-selling tactic, and the end result is looking too powdery.

Latest posts

Back