Natural Oils as Moisturizers

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used pure natural oils such as rice bran oil as a moisturizer oil? How moisturizing is it?

I'm looking at this rice bran oil.

Nature's Garden - Rice Bran Oil

But there are so many others on that page such as argan oil, macadamia, jojoba, etc.

Nature's Garden - Natural Fixed Oils

Is it safe to put a small dab of that oil on dry spots on my face before I go to sleep? Or maybe use a little of that under my eyes instead of an eye cream? Thanks for any suggestions!

I use Rosehip oil for my face at night, and it works well for me. I have really super sensitive skin, usually T-zone oily and normal-dry everywhere else. It works pretty well for me, and I have dotted a little extra on dry spots before with good results. What I do is put a couple drops in my palm and daub my fingertips into it, and then lightly pat onto a wet face. It's safe for around the eye area, and I do use it around my eyes sometimes. (I read that it can help improve scars- I have a pretty awful scar above my eye I'd love to minimize- I don't think it's done anything, but who knows, maybe in more time it will start to fade!) It's amazing for combination skin, but if your skin is really dry, you might want something that really locks moisture in, and with a lot of pure oils, you'll want to store in a cool dark place (or fridge) and use within 6 months of opening. Hope this helps some!

I was using argan oil on my face at night but recently switched to rosehip oil in order to see if it'd help fade red marks left from acne. The thing with at least my bottle of rosehip oil is that it's a very strong orange color and I'm really, really pale so when I apply the oil it makes me look like an Oompa Loompa.
huh.gif
I've tried applying less but it still seems to give the same effect. Haven't noticed any staining with bed sheets but I tend to only use dark sheets anyway.

I've read a lot of recommendations for jojoba oil as a moisturizer since it seems to be close to the skin's own sebum. But in any case, you should be safe with applying a small amount of oil to your face before bed time. I don't use oils in the morning because they take a while to absorb (at least on me). Not sure about the eye area, to be honest. Maybe try it out and see if it makes your eyes puffy?

Thank you for the replies! I actually have combination skin but sometimes I get these dry flaky patches of skin that I'd like to do something about. I think I'll give rice bran oil a try and see what happens.

Coconut oil has pretty much cleared up the moderately dry patches I had on my forehead. It is semi-solid, but melts to the touch, so I dabs my fingertips on it, then massage that gently on my, repeating until my face is covered with a very, very light layer. It can take a bit to absorb, but my skin drinks it right up and it does not leave me feeling oily. I have tried a couple other oils, but they were just not a good match for me.

I do use rice bran oil as a make-up remover. I have not tried it as a moisturizer, though.

I have horribly dry skin with oily patches and found that using oils directly as a moisturizer works wonders. I've used argan and passion fruit (maracuja) oil and have noticed almost no dryness, significantly reduced oily patches, and a reduction in dark spots. I love oils! Go for it.

Originally Posted by MareNectaris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's amazing for combination skin, but if your skin is really dry, you might want something that really locks moisture in, and with a lot of pure oils, you'll want to store in a cool dark place (or fridge) and use within 6 months of opening.

Hope this helps some!
May I ask why within 6 months? I have some rice bran oil right now from when I was helping to make lotion bars last Christmas and I was hoping to use those up.

Originally Posted by MUfiend /img/forum/go_quote.gif
 ....and a reduction in dark spots. I love oils! Go for it.
If it reduces dark spots, then I'm all for it, haha. I thought only stuff with vitamin c clears up dark spots though. But I'm not complaining if oils also work seeing as it's waaaay cheaper.

Rosehip Oil works! It carries a lot of important skin nutrients and antioxidants. It makes for a great moisturizer. Of course, it always depends on the person. Let us know what ends up working for you!

May I ask why within 6 months? I have some rice bran oil right now from when I was helping to make lotion bars last Christmas and I was hoping to use those up. If it reduces dark spots, then I'm all for it, haha. I thought only stuff with vitamin c clears up dark spots though. But I'm not complaining if oils also work seeing as it's waaaay cheaper.
Actually,now that I think about it, I think that it depends on the type of Rosehip oil you pick up! It's recommended you use the type I have within 6 months of opening because there aren't any preservatives and over time the oil breaks down and can go rancid. You'd just want to check the storage and use info from whatever brand you are considering picking up- I think that most oils will start to degrade over time.

I use mustard oil for my body skin before bath. The skin really glows like anything, but do not apply it over face.  

ive used jojoba oil from Trader Joe's on my face, and it did a decent job of moisturizing my skin. It didn't break me out, which is a feat in and of itself since i have sensitive skin. But I can't use the oil every day because it feels heavy after 1-2 day of use. I use it only when my skin feels reeeeally dry and needs a moisture boost.

Latest posts

Back