If your nail polish keeps chipping

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It is likely that your nails have a tiny amount of oil left on them when you apply polish. When nails are not cleaned correctly, dirt and oil is left behind. This prevents the basecoat from sticking to the nail properly, causing it to flake away and take the nail polish with it.

There are two things you can do to avoid this happening in the future. The first is to clean your nails twice before applying a basecoat. The second is to always use an acetone-based nail polish remover to strip oils

Thanks for the tip! My friends polish is always chipping so ill have to tell her this!

How many days will it chip after application usually? I may wonder this. 

I use OPI chip skip. It's supposed to strip the surface of your nails of all oils.

Almost done with the bottle. Not sure I'll buy again, the same can probably be accomplished by swiping again w/ my fave nail polish remover (which is Zoya remove). It's kind of expensive at $12.95. I do my nails at least once a week, though, and it's lasted a pretty long time (I think I even tipped over the bottle accidentally and spilled some.)

Anyone else use it? Thoughts?

Chipping has to do with more acidic tendency of skin /nails.Dehydrating the plate may help but bad for healthy nails .

The thicker the coat the more it chips,the older the nail polish ,quicker it might chip,too many coats of nail polish faster to chip,too many coats base ,nail color,top coat might make it chip,so many factors plus washing hands many times ,doing dishes by hand (without gloves )can contribute to it.

thinner coats is best ,good luck!!!

Back