RED HAIR DYE

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

So I'm looking into dying my hair red again.  I used the Ion Color Brilliance Permanent dye about a year ago.  Since then, my hair has grown out a few inches and the color has faded quite a bit.  My natural color is a dark brown (up at the roots) and the part that has been colored before is medium brown (the shaft). Now here are some of the questions I had:

Have any of you used a really good red boxed hair dye?  I want to do it myself because I have long hair (and inch above my belly button)

Will the dye take to the shaft since it has been done multiple times?

Any tips for a good even color? Or an at-home color in general?

Thank you!

What type of red do you want?
smile.gif

Okiedokie! Well, the first problem you're going to run into is that it's going to be difficult to get an all-over even color if you're going for a super bright red, since your roots haven't fully grown out. Your roots will be one shade and your dyed hair might possibly be a different tint. Would you be OK with that?

Originally Posted by CheshireCookie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Okiedokie! Well, the first problem you're going to run into is that it's going to be difficult to get an all-over even color if you're going for a super bright red, since your roots haven't fully grown out. Your roots will be one shade and your dyed hair might possibly be a different tint. Would you be OK with that?
That would be alright.  Would the shaft absorb any color at all?

Originally Posted by PurpleStrawberi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That would be alright.  Would the shaft absorb any color at all?
It definitely should, especially if you leave it on long enough and don't wash your hair for at least 3-4 days after dying!

My mum used to use the Live  XXL red, then mix some Directions dye in with her conditioner so it stayed looking bright (she changed up which shade of red she used, but loves them all). It looked pretty darn good.

These days we bleach her roots, (If i'm not there to do them, she uses a platinum box dye) and then she uses a Directions semi over the top, and again mixes her dye in with her conditioner to keep it looking fresh.  

I'm no hair expert so can't offer any hair advice on your questions. I have horrible issues getting my hair an even colour when i tint it lilac!

Latest posts

Back