Help! I'm very unlucky with liquid liner.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Ladies and Gents! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've never really worn eyeliner, it was always something I didn't think I could use, because my eyes are extremely sensitive.  However, I was in Ulta a few weeks ago, and swatched one of the Urban Decay 24/7 Waterproof Liquid Liner (in the color Sabbath, a deep navy color.)  I love the idea of a navy nautical winged liner for summer, and I was excited to try this one out. 

I took it home, put it on, and it was extremely wet.  I decided to try it for a few days, and I thought it was okay.  It didn't irritate my eyes too much, it was very pigmented, so I thought it might be a winner.  Until my friend asked if I had an eye disease, because I had dark blue specks in the whites of my eyes!  Needless to say, the eyeliner that claimed to not flake, smudge, or move at all, had flaked big time - into my eyeballs!  That liner went right back to Ulta.

Today, I was at the drugstore and picked up one of the Maybelline Master Duo 2-in-1 Glossy Liquid Liners in the color Navy Gleam.  I was excited to try this liner too.   Long story short, I shook this liner up very well for about 5 minutes.  Then swatched it a few times on my hand to try out the different sides of the applicator.  The swatches were extremely watery.  I shook it harder; again, still watery.  It was the most watery, inconsistent pigmentation ever.  Actually, I wouldn't even say it had pigmentation.  It was like bue tinted water.  Super disappointing!   The formulation was also extremely sticky.  Like glue.  And, it stung my hand.  I had heard amazing things about the Maybelline Master Studio Liners, and so I'm not entirely sure what happened!

Can you guys suggest a few (drugstore and/or high end)  liquid liners that come in navy that would be good to use on sensitive eyes? I prefer liquid over anything else, since the line can be thin.  I have a smaller than normal space to work with on my eyelids, and bigger lines take up too much space.

Thank you!

Have you tried a gel liner? I find they can be just as thin a line if applied with the right brush. And I have noticed that I do tend to get a bit of irritation as my liquid liner dries and such so if you have sensitive eyes I could see it bothering you.

Hi Ladies and Gents! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I've never really worn eyeliner, it was always something I didn't think I could use, because my eyes are extremely sensitive.  However, I was in Ulta a few weeks ago, and swatched one of the Urban Decay 24/7 Waterproof Liquid Liner (in the color Sabbath, a deep navy color.)  I love the idea of a navy nautical winged liner for summer, and I was excited to try this one out.  I took it home, put it on, and it was extremely wet.  I decided to try it for a few days, and I thought it was okay.  It didn't irritate my eyes too much, it was very pigmented, so I thought it might be a winner.  Until my friend asked if I had an eye disease, because I had dark blue specks in the whites of my eyes!  Needless to say, the eyeliner that claimed to not flake, smudge, or move at all, had flaked big time - into my eyeballs!  That liner went right back to Ulta. Today, I was at the drugstore and picked up one of the Maybelline Master Duo 2-in-1 Glossy Liquid Liners in the color Navy Gleam.  I was excited to try this liner too.   Long story short, I shook this liner up very well for about 5 minutes.  Then swatched it a few times on my hand to try out the different sides of the applicator.  The swatches were extremely watery.  I shook it harder; again, still watery.  It was the most watery, inconsistent pigmentation ever.  Actually, I wouldn't even say it had pigmentation.  It was like bue tinted water.  Super disappointing!   The formulation was also extremely sticky.  Like glue.  And, it stung my hand.  I had heard amazing things about the Maybelline Master Studio Liners, and so I'm not entirely sure what happened! Can you guys suggest a few (drugstore and/or high end)  liquid liners that come in navy that would be good to use on sensitive eyes? I prefer liquid over anything else, since the line can be thin.  I have a smaller than normal space to work with on my eyelids, and bigger lines take up too much space. Thank you!
You need to shake your liquid liners - until you hear the little ball rattle inside. (At least most have the ball inside)... Regardless you need to shake your liquid liners very well. Also liquid liners shouldn't be sticky like glue, sounds like this one was adulterated. I agree with MissJM with trying gel liners. I like using cake liners, as a sub for a gel liner, but thats my technique, but what you're describing I too recommend using gel liners.

I am also a trying hard user of liquid liner before, I even make fun of my younger sisters eyes until i used to it.

I use Hard Candy liquid eyeliners! I never have a problem with them flaking or smudging. I've even worn it to the beach and gotten it wet and it still stays put pretty well. They work so well I've honestly never felt the need to buy a 'high end' liquid eyeliner. 

Back