Smokey eye look for a beginner with green eyes? Need Help!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, so i've been looking all youtube for a good tutorial to try and copy off but when it comes down to it i just doing it completely wrong. Basically all my friends are ridiculously good at doing make-up and i am useless and i really want to try something new. I have always loved the smokey eye look, its my all time favorite but i just can't seem to do it. I have blonde hair and green eyes and i'm just looking to do a really nice smokey eye look what will stand out. As you can tell i'm a beginner and i have no idea where to even start with colour choices or anything. Its my best mates 21st on Saturday and i am looking to try this look on that night. The only problem is i don't really own any proper make-up brushes i have one eye shadow blender brush but thats it! Can anyone give me any advice or step by step tutorials of how to do a really bold but pretty smokey eye look for green eyes?

Thanks!
Beckie. 

Since you're going to an event in a couple of days, my best advice for a newbie in this situation like yourself is to go to a counter like MAC or Sephora and get your eyes done there on-the-day. Even if you go and get a lesson there, it does take a few tries to create a good smokey eye, never mind a great one... After your event on Saturday, you can then go the lesson / practice route. Good luck.

Originally Posted by Beckie1992 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi guys, so i've been looking all youtube for a good tutorial to try and copy off but when it comes down to it i just doing it completely wrong. Basically all my friends are ridiculously good at doing make-up and i am useless and i really want to try something new. I have always loved the smokey eye look, its my all time favorite but i just can't seem to do it. I have blonde hair and green eyes and i'm just looking to do a really nice smokey eye look what will stand out. As you can tell i'm a beginner and i have no idea where to even start with colour choices or anything. Its my best mates 21st on Saturday and i am looking to try this look on that night. The only problem is i don't really own any proper make-up brushes i have one eye shadow blender brush but thats it! Can anyone give me any advice or step by step tutorials of how to do a really bold but pretty smokey eye look for green eyes?

Thanks!

Beckie. 
Definitely get your hands on some brushes - they don't have to be expensive! YOu can get decent ones at the drugstore, even.

As for color choice, purples are amazing on green eyes and are a less scary way to start than black and gray!

Other than that, I recommend just watching some videos to get down the basic smokey eye steps (general areas to apply things), and then just set aside an afternoon (or whatever) and just try it over and over again, tweaking the technique until it works for you. Different faces are shaped differently, obviously, so you have to play around to figure out what application techniques suit you (for example, I have really high brows and a loooot of space between my crease and my browbone, so I have to be careful about how I apply color there).

Neutral shades would look great with green eyes! My eyes change between green and blue, so a neutral smokey eye is my go-to every day look. It's actually pretty simple. I like to use the Urban Decay Naked palette (you can Google the shades if you're not familiar with them). First I apply Virgin to my eye lids, and bring the color all the way to about the middle of my eyelid. I also apply the color in my crease and above my crease to the same point that I apply it on my lids. You can use a regular sponge applicator for all that. Then using a fluffy eye shadow brush (I use EcoTools) I apply Sidecar to the outer corner of my eye and work it the the center of my eyelid so I can blend it with the color Virgin. Then I finish the look with Dark Horse in my outer crease and above my outer crease and work it inward to blend with the color Virgin above my crease. Hope that helps (it's be easy to explain with pictures, I know. Maybe I'll do a tutorial on my blog). 

I did a 'Purple Passion' tutorial recently too that looks great with green eyes. 

Hope that all helps. 

Awww thank you so much for all your help :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> i'll bare all your comments in mind, and maybe have a practice sometime tomorrow!! I would have it done properly by someone before the event but i'm in work all day so I don't really have time to get it done professionally haha but thank you!! 

Back