Belly Button Piercing

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've been on and off about getting a navel piercing since last November. I think they look really cute and I'm pretty sure I'd like how it looks on me. I'm not worried about the initial pain or anything. But I do sleep on my stomach, and I have a slouching problem--do you think that could create problems for the belly button ring? I don't want to be in pain every time I sit down. I'm also thinking realistically about the future--I doubt I'll want a belly ring for life. Eventually I plan on being a mom, so I feel like I'll probably want to get rid of it around then. (I'm only 20 now, so that will be years down the road.) So for you people who have taken out your navel piercing, does it scar? Is it possible to "go back to normal?" And finally, what are your thoughts on belly button rings in general? Some people I've talked to said they were "trashy" or "immature." And while I've seen my share of trashy and immature belly button rings, I think some of them are very pretty. Where is a good place to buy classy/better quality ones? I've thought a lot about this and I'd really like to hear your thoughts and advice on the subject. Thanks in advance!

ETA: I'd totally love to see some pics of your pretty body jewelry! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I got mine when I was 19. Put a flexable replacement in when I was pregnant. The hole will shrink fairly quickly and you won't be able to get your ring back in. I made that mistake and had to get a smaller gauge to stretch it back out. I really wanted to keep my piercing! lol

I am now 40 and just removed mine about 2 months ago. It leaves a weird little scar but nothing too bad.

I also had a slouching problem and I don't think it caused any issues.

I think they are cute. I think the only time ever though one was trashy is when I saw a girl that was all around trashy looking, not just the ring.

There are some cute rings out there. If you are wanting it, go for it. I always loved mine.

Originally Posted by Ashitude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got mine when I was 19. Put a flexable replacement in when I was pregnant. The hole will shrink fairly quickly and you won't be able to get your ring back in. I made that mistake and had to get a smaller gauge to stretch it back out. I really wanted to keep my piercing! lol

I am now 40 and just removed mine about 2 months ago. It leaves a weird little scar but nothing too bad.

I also had a slouching problem and I don't think it caused any issues.

I think they are cute. I think the only time ever though one was trashy is when I saw a girl that was all around trashy looking, not just the ring.

There are some cute rings out there. If you are wanting it, go for it. I always loved mine.
Thanks for the info! I guess a bit of scarring doesn't matter too much, since by the time I take it out I probably won't be showing my belly too much--otherwise I'd keep it in! That's a relief about the slouching--I figured that could be a main issue. And I agree that belly rings mostly just look trashy if the person who has it is trashy to begin with.

I got mine done when I was 18 and I've had it in for 8 years now. I don't remember too much pain (but my pain tolerance is pretty high.) The shock/adrenaline rushing through me right after it was first done caused me to not feel any pain for about 30 minutes - that I remember. Then afterwards it felt like any other piercing, there was some discomfort but nothing an ibuprofen couldn't fix. I used H2Ocean to care for the piercing and it's been fine ever since.

I had my ring out for like a week a few years back and I remember the hole on the bottom shrunk really fast but the hole on top didn't shrink that much. So in terms of scarring, I know that a scar will be left but I'm hoping it won't look too weird since the gauge on my ring is fairly small - but I guess scarring all depends on the person. 

I know I'll take it out in a few years when I decide to finally have kids (the clock is ticking on that)

I don't regret it though! I've lived in beach towns all my life and spend the whole year in a bathing suit so piercings are fairly common where I live - I think it was like a right of passage for most girls to get one in high school. 

I currently have just the standard, simple silver ball ring in and no one gives me the hairy eyeball when they see it. 

Originally Posted by tinkerbll695 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got mine done when I was 18 and I've had it in for 8 years now. I don't remember too much pain (but my pain tolerance is pretty high.) The shock/adrenaline rushing through me right after it was first done caused me to not feel any pain for about 30 minutes - that I remember. Then afterwards it felt like any other piercing, there was some discomfort but nothing an ibuprofen couldn't fix. I used H2Ocean to care for the piercing and it's been fine ever since.

I had my ring out for like a week a few years back and I remember the hole on the bottom shrunk really fast but the hole on top didn't shrink that much. So in terms of scarring, I know that a scar will be left but I'm hoping it won't look too weird since the gauge on my ring is fairly small - but I guess scarring all depends on the person. 

I know I'll take it out in a few years when I decide to finally have kids (the clock is ticking on that)

I don't regret it though! I've lived in beach towns all my life and spend the whole year in a bathing suit so piercings are fairly common where I live - I think it was like a right of passage for most girls to get one in high school. 

I currently have just the standard, simple silver ball ring in and no one gives me the hairy eyeball when they see it. 
Glad to hear you don't regret it! Some people I know who had theirs done in high school wish they hadn't--but I think I"m old enough to know for sure whether I'd like it done or not. Also I think that people are much more tolerant of body piercings and tattoos than they were ten years ago. By the time we are grandparents it'll probably be pretty normal to see other grannies with belly button rings 
biggrin.gif

I used to have mine done and loved it. It had to be taken out though, since it started to migrate a bit too much (it was very close to rejecting). All of the lifting, etc. that I have to do at work, probably played a part in that. However, I have a coworker who got the piercing done around the same time and her's is still doing really good. So it all depends on how your body handles the piercing. I don't think slouching would affect it much, but I wouldn't recommend sleeping on it (but only until it is completely healed). Overall, it really doesn't hurt and as long as you keep it clean, you should be fine.

Most of the time, you should be able to get good quality jewelry from your piercer. They all carry the standard jewelry that first gets put into the piercing, and many will also have a selection of other jewelry that can be used, once your piercing heals. The shop I went to, could even special order jewelry for you.   

If you really want it, I fully recommend getting it done. 

Originally Posted by ArtisticFaerie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I used to have mine done and loved it. It had to be taken out though, since it started to migrate a bit too much (it was very close to rejecting). All of the lifting, etc. that I have to do at work, probably played a part in that. However, I have a coworker who got the piercing done around the same time and her's is still doing really good. So it all depends on how your body handles the piercing. I don't think slouching would affect it much, but I wouldn't recommend sleeping on it (but only until it is completely healed). Overall, it really doesn't hurt and as long as you keep it clean, you should be fine.

Most of the time, you should be able to get good quality jewelry from your piercer. They all carry the standard jewelry that first gets put into the piercing, and many will also have a selection of other jewelry that can be used, once your piercing heals. The shop I went to, could even special order jewelry for you.   

If you really want it, I fully recommend getting it done. 
Aw that sucks you had to take yours out! How long do you think it'll take to heal?

It's different for everyone, but on average, 4 months to a year. The first month or so, it might be a bit tender, so try not to bump it too much (it can set back the healing). After that first few months, it is a lot easier to take care off and not as sensitive. 

I think they're trashy, but if you think they're cute you should for sure do it and not worry about what strangers think. Honestly, I'm freaked out by them, really just needles in general. Plus, I'd be worried about it getting caught and ripped out. Maybe try a magnetic one and look in the mirror to see if you like it before you commit.

Originally Posted by SnowLeopard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think they're trashy, but if you think they're cute you should for sure do it and not worry about what strangers think. Honestly, I'm freaked out by them, really just needles in general. Plus, I'd be worried about it getting caught and ripped out. Maybe try a magnetic one and look in the mirror to see if you like it before you commit.
I do worry a bit about ripping it out, but I think I'm willing to take that risk. Good idea about the magnetic one! And I agree, they can look trashy--especially if the person is purposely showing off one that says '69' or 'slut'
icon_rolleyes.gif
 Also needles don't really bother me, so I think I'm good there. Thanks for your honest opinion! 

I got mine when I was 18, and I'm 24 now and still really like it. I generally just have a simple ball. I'm a pretty quiet and serious person, and I tend to dress pretty conservatively, so it was my one rebellion in high school, and I have always enjoyed the shocked reaction that most people have when they find out that I have my belly button pierced. I don't think it's trashy. It's not like I go around in public displaying it or something. I just cleaned it with salt water, and I haven't ever had a problem with it being infected or catching on anything. I play a lot of sports, and I haven't had any issues with it then either. I also slouch pretty badly and always sleep on my stomach. Once again, no issues.

Originally Posted by bellatrix42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got mine when I was 18, and I'm 24 now and still really like it. I generally just have a simple ball. I'm a pretty quiet and serious person, and I tend to dress pretty conservatively, so it was my one rebellion in high school, and I have always enjoyed the shocked reaction that most people have when they find out that I have my belly button pierced. I don't think it's trashy. It's not like I go around in public displaying it or something.

I just cleaned it with salt water, and I haven't ever had a problem with it being infected or catching on anything. I play a lot of sports, and I haven't had any issues with it then either. I also slouch pretty badly and always sleep on my stomach. Once again, no issues.
that is sooo good to hear! I'm also kinda shy and I don't normally show off my belly unless I'm in a swimsuit. I was originally going to wait until November when tennis season was done for the fall (I play tennis for my college) but maybe I'll have to get it earlier! Definitely waiting until summer is over though so I can swim. When you sleep on your stomach can you feel it?

Latest posts

Back