Cosplay help

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely. A great make-up job is all part of the wardrobe for any cosplay character. They both go hand-in-hand in pulling off the realistic look of any character you're portraying. As for how to go about it, there are quite-a-few how-to cosplay make-up tutorials on YouTube. At least that's a good start.

Originally Posted by kuzronk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm thinking of doing konata or Tsukasa from lucky star or rikka from Chu-2 (Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!) and I'm wondering if I would need any makeup to do a good cosplay.

Nvm the thread tag.
Tsukasa Hiiragi and Konata Izumi from Lucky Star as well as Rikka Takanashi are female characters with pale complexions and simple makeup. In their cases a light foundation, wispy eyelashes and a nude/pale pink lip would be in order. Here is what other cosplayers have done with those characters.

Tsukasa Hiiragi - images from kotakgame.com

Konata Izumi - images from baratijasblog.com

Rikka Takanashi - images from otakumode.com

I agree with Zadidoll. You don't need a whole lot of make-up, but the little bit that she recommends would give it a more polished look.

I agree with Zadidoll. You don't need a whole lot of make-up, but the little bit that she recommends would give it a more polished look.
I think that Zadi was talking about the models in the photos. As a guy portraying them, you need a bit more than a simple make-up. True pale is the main look, but a pale look on a guy portraying a Japanime or Manga character is a bit more than 'simple'. I've worn a very simple basic female look, (not a transgendered look, as that look is quite involved and elaborate - I've worn that look as well), I am talking just basic foundation as if I was a girl, but not overly done if that makes any sense... At any rate, it's more than just simple on a guy. My original post was based on kuzronks photo. He needs a bit more than simple, but definitely not elaborate. Remember that guys need a beard cover for this style of look. That being said, I've seen guys with full-on beards with pale make-up on dressed as Konata and Rikka at comic / sci-fi conventions, but the look is better being clean shaven. Nothing wrong either way, just one look is more polished than the other, that's all.

Actually you're both right. LOL Because the characters are female with simple looks a male will need to use makeup in order to achieve the illusion of being female while balancing out the fact that their makeup is simple. As Vogueboy pointed out the face will be need to be shaved before any application of makeup takes place. Male skin is very different than female skin which is why drag queens have a joke about Cover Girl not being for them.

That said, the simple look can still be achieved by a male person but it will require heavier makeup and contouring. Also, cosplayers take creative license with characters because let's face it NO ONE will EVER look like they stepped right out of an anime and into reality.

Can somebody please remove this thread? I found it on google while looking for pictures of her.

I was wondering what makeup you used with your cosplay costume. I'm doing a Rikka Takanashi costume for an upcoming convention. Any help will be most appreciated.

Back