How do you store your nail polish collection?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was looking for storage ideas for nail polish.  For years I've just stored my nail polishes, remover, files, clippers, etc. in a shoe box.  Not very fancy, but it does the job.  The only bad thing is the colors aren't in clear view.

It's funny you started this thread because I literally just bought a new box for storage today! My boyfriend (who supports my nail polish habit lol)  just got me a three tiered set of drawers. They are like the plastic ones you get from staples for offices but this one is a lot smaller. I would say its 14 inches high and 12 inches wide, has three see through drawers and can easily fit under a bed. It looks like this...

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/202271343/3_layer_Mini_Drawer_plastic_drawer/showimage.html

but its not as small

It's funny you started this thread because I literally just bought a new box for storage today! My boyfriend (who supports my nail polish habit lol)  just got me a three tiered set of drawers. They are like the plastic ones you get from staples for offices but this one is a lot smaller. I would say its 14 inches high and 12 inches wide, has three see through drawers and can easily fit under a bed. It looks like this... http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/202271343/3_layer_Mini_Drawer_plastic_drawer/showimage.html but its not as small
May I ask where he found it? I am hunting something like this, but can't find one with drawers that are deep enough. I figure they need to be at least 3.5 inches deep (I have one crazy tall bottle, but it's an anomaly that can be dealt with separately). I currently have this: http://www.amazon.com/Snapware-Stack-Portable-Organizer-Rectangle/dp/B005PQAITM/ref=sr_1_14?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1372915571&sr=1-14&keywords=Snap+n%27stack This is perfect in theory, except the top section nests down into the bottom section slightly, making it shorter. So when it's full of polish, I can't actually stack the two boxes. So now they sit side by side, driving me nuts because one box is uncovered, and they are taking up twice the space I had allotted. I desperately want them all contained in a covered, stacking system! To answer the original question- short of hanging a rack on the wall, there is no good way to store polish and still maintain visibility. To overcome this, I swatched them all on swatch sticks that are arranged by color and labeled with brand and polish name. The bottles of polish are stored by brand. So once I pick the color(s) I want from the swatches, it's pretty easy to track down the bottle I want.

Thanks for the ideas!

I really like the do-it-yourself rack, but I don't think I have enough polishes to fill something like that! They'd look lost.

I could probably fit them all in 1 of those snap boxes.  

Wewearpolish- what a nice boyfriend you have!  I like those draws but I haven't seen ones those deep.

I got lucky...we went to the Christmas Tree Shops near me and they had them. Staples might have something similar. It looks like the drawers are 3 inches tall so that might work for most of your polishes

Originally Posted by la rubia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for the ideas!

I really like the do-it-yourself rack, but I don't think I have enough polishes to fill something like that! They'd look lost.

I could probably fit them all in 1 of those snap boxes.  

Wewearpolish- what a nice boyfriend you have!  I like those draws but I haven't seen ones those deep.
If you don't have a lot of polishes you can use a spice rack like the Bekvam from ikea.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40070185/

Where did you find three foam boards for under $5?
At the 99 cents only store. I got 3 foam boards and glue sticks for my hot glue gun for $4.40. I already had the Exacto knife and the duct tape.

i actually picked up a nice wooden storage cabinet for over the toilet at a thrift shop for $5 awhile back, hubby tookthe legs off it and when we redecorated the bathroom it sat in a closet for a few months til i had the crazy idea to stick it on top of my bookshelf and stick my polishes in it....

the pic is from the day i did it, there are about 30 more polishes in it now
icon_eek.gif

I got a big bin at target but I found not seeing all the colors easily makes me not use a lot of them. I need to invest in a wall rack

I have a massive collection of polish.  I have been collecting them since the mid 90's with a recent hoarding obsession since spring.  I kept them all in a huge tote or basket but I could never see what I had and didn't tend to wear polish often due to that fact.  I now work from home and have them in my home office. These were made out of the foam racks as well.  I am currently working on my 4th one.  Since I made 3 at once I didn't need as many foam boards.  I got everything I needed at the Dollar General with the exception of the duct tape which happened to be on 50% clearance at Home Depot.  I went back and bought all they had.  I ended up spending closer to 25 I think for everything including the glue gun, extra glue sticks, the knife I used to cut it (Dollar Tree) etc.  Only one shelf doesn't hold up so I had to repair it while on my wall and keep only lighter polish bottles on it.  The wooden side shelf I put there for the meantime is now overgrown as well.  Since this picture was taken I have increased my stash by well over 100.  I am currently sitting at 520 (that I have swatched on color wheels) and about another 125 in older and minis.  I really like the foam shelves for what they are.  I would love something in the clear plastic or acrylic but I just didn't have the money at the time (I spent it all on polish). 

Under the desk you see the monitor on I keep all the nail art and nail care supplies.  It's just a 3 bin plastic shelf.  I keep baskets from the dollar tree in to separate my stickers, nail tape, scotch tape, extra dishes and cups for water marble etc.  On the desk I keep the supplies like cotton balls, q tips, toothpicks, and my trusty lint roller for cleaning my stamper. My stamping plates are also in a binder in the plastic shelf unit. 

Please send me your entire room.  I'll totally pay for shipping! 
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by Christa W /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a massive collection of polish.  I have been collecting them since the mid 90's with a recent hoarding obsession since spring.  I kept them all in a huge tote or basket but I could never see what I had and didn't tend to wear polish often due to that fact.  I now work from home and have them in my home office. These were made out of the foam racks as well.  I am currently working on my 4th one.  Since I made 3 at once I didn't need as many foam boards.  I got everything I needed at the Dollar General with the exception of the duct tape which happened to be on 50% clearance at Home Depot.  I went back and bought all they had.  I ended up spending closer to 25 I think for everything including the glue gun, extra glue sticks, the knife I used to cut it (Dollar Tree) etc.  Only one shelf doesn't hold up so I had to repair it while on my wall and keep only lighter polish bottles on it.  The wooden side shelf I put there for the meantime is now overgrown as well.  Since this picture was taken I have increased my stash by well over 100.  I am currently sitting at 520 (that I have swatched on color wheels) and about another 125 in older and minis.  I really like the foam shelves for what they are.  I would love something in the clear plastic or acrylic but I just didn't have the money at the time (I spent it all on polish). 

Under the desk you see the monitor on I keep all the nail art and nail care supplies.  It's just a 3 bin plastic shelf.  I keep baskets from the dollar tree in to separate my stickers, nail tape, scotch tape, extra dishes and cups for water marble etc.  On the desk I keep the supplies like cotton balls, q tips, toothpicks, and my trusty lint roller for cleaning my stamper. My stamping plates are also in a binder in the plastic shelf unit. 

Originally Posted by DonnaD /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Please send me your entire room.  I'll totally pay for shipping! 
icon_cheesygrin.gif
That's awesome.  Thanks for making me smile.  I would hate to think of how much the bottles alone would weigh!  At one point when I had them in a tote/basket I couldn't even lift it up it was full to the max.  I am a pretty lucky girl. 

Latest posts

Back