July 2013 No/Low Buy Support

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Surprised we don't have a thread yet. Happy 4th of July and what kind of goals do you have this month? Good luck everyone!

I'm a compulsive list-maker (I'm actually obsessive-compulsive about a lot of stuff, which is a good thing in my job, and one of the ways it manifests outside of work is list-making).  On the allowed list (spoiler here because it seems appropriate):

• One of each *product* (body scrub, shower gel, lotion, etc.), not *scent*, of the upcoming Fortune Cookie Soap fairy tale (maybe based on _Once Upon a Time_?) if it's released in July and/or any other summer collections (for a total of one item of each product, period, not one item per product per collection, and there are a lot of products I won't be buying, like solid soap or bath fizzies)
  • Another round of Glamour Doll Eyes (there's a new batch of colors set for release on Wednesday, and that's what I will focus on this time around) with a dollar limit of $30 (or, if nail polish is released this month, $50) and maybe another 6-month OTM sub if I can snag one
  • The San Francisco and/or Hollywood BH palettes, depending on what the ipsy special is (chances are high I will talk myself out of these, though)
  • From Starlooks:  Real Turquoise eye shadow, the kitty paw foundation brush, and maybe a powder brush (these brushes have been on my allowed list for about four months, and I have yet to get them)
  • On the off chance another essence trend edition is released in July, one of everything in there that piques my interest (between their prices and my pickiness, that never exceeds $30 per collection, and it's usually more like $15)
  • Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar Stained Gloss in Rhythm Box and/or New Wave (it depends in part on what the Sephora point perks are)
  • Another Helmer (I'm putting this on my beauty products list because it's for nail polish organization/storage.  This has also been on my to-buy list for a few months)
  • The Allure fall box
  • The Birchbox CEW box(es) (I'm a points-hoarder, though, so it's entirely possible that I won't be spending actual money on these)
  • If there is anything new and compelling at Birchbox, whatever that is, as long as I only spend points on it
The funny thing is that I usually end up getting only about half of what is on my allowed list when I make one, so this *looks* like a lot of stuff, but the reality is that I will probably only get three of these things, so "maybe" should be inserted in front of every single one of those items.

On the no-buy-for-the-month list:

• Any other color cosmetic (between all of the GDE colors in my stash that I haven't tried and my sub boxes, I have plenty of new things to play with!) or lip balm

I would put eye shadow bases/primers on the no-buy list, but I didn't use them before they started showing up in my sub boxes, so it's not really something I need to ban myself from getting. I just need to figure out which base that I already have works best with what shadow/pigment.  I do use them every day now that I've discovered how much better loose pigments look with them, but until I use what I have up, it's just not occurring to me to buy them, so there's not really a need to *avoid* buying them.

Still on the no-buy-until-the-end-of-the-year list:

• Any other shower gel (although I am allowed to replace it at a rate of one new bottle for every two partials in my existing stash used) (exception:  If Pacifica has another warehouse sale, although the chances of that are so slim that it's almost not worth mentioning.  The sales seem to only happen once a year in February nowadays.)
  • Blush unless it's an essence TE blush (in a set like a palette or in a subscription box is okay since I would be buying those things anyway)
  • Shampoo/conditioner/hair serum

The new essence TE collection -- Floral Grunge -- would be on this list since it was supposed to be released on July 1st, but I already picked those up last weekend because the stores out here had them already.  The stuff I want in their TEs tend to sell out immediately around here, so I have already given myself blanket permission to get everything in any essence TE collection that I want as soon as I see it.  This time around, that was five nail polishes and a blush.  Unfortunately, they're almost all springy colors since the US tends to get these collections a few months after the rest of the world, so I probably won't be wearing any of them right now. 

What I *really* need to do is channel my makeup obsession time towards cleaning my apartment, especially my kitchen (I came across canned goods that expired in 2011 the other day).  I have a lot of stuff I need to no longer own, whether via throwing out, giving away, or donating.  I just get weirdly upset/tense/depressed whenever I go through my non-makeup stuff, so I just don't ever do it.

Joining on a low buy! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I think the only thing I need to buy is foundation since mine is almost out. I am hoping that is the only makeup item I buy!

I'm on a no-buy this month :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> But I'm hoping this helps me get a better grasp on my beauty spending (even though next month is my birthday month).

The bad news is that I bought a nail polish on the very first day. The good news is that it was a discontinued essence holo top coat on clearance for $1.25. I have decided to group discontinued essence with their trend edition stuff so I don't feel completely defeated and give up already.

I haven't made specific goals for this month.  I was excited to complete a no-buy last month, so I think this month could be a low-buy, but there's nothing I need right now.  I'm trying out a bunch of different BB cream samples, so maybe my goal is to decide which I like best, get a full size of that, and use up the other samples.

I've already destroyed my goal of no cookbooks, so I'm not going there this month.  I get Starbox, and I'll take a look at what comes in the Lip Factory box.  If it's GREAT, I'll allow myself one.  Other than that and a box of hair dye, no makeup or beauty.  =)  Managed that last month, and I'm pretty sure I can do that going forward for quite some time.

I've only bought a few beauty products, and that was the Anastasia brow wiz and the tweezers. Getting my brows done at the Benefit brow bar was too expensive to do regularly, so I've decided to go back to doing my brows on my own. Hopefully, that's going to be the only beauty stuff all month, unless there's something that I run out of and I absolutely need. Now, if I can just stop buying other random things that I don't need, I'll be all good. 

I didn't buy any makeup last month, but polish burned a hole in my bank account. So I've specified allowing purchases for specific brands and launches or restocks only! Scofflaw, Enchanted, My Ten Friends, A England, and Ruby White Tips. I do plan on placing a GDE order, just need to narrow down my choices. . I'm allowing for six or seven for myself and a few for a friend's birthday! EDITED - already placed my GDE order lol. Plus, am about to make a Lush order from UK with another buddy. Buuut, in all fairness, I'll get one or two soaps. The rest is for my brother and his gf; they're getting college bound gift baskets from me!

Im joining the no buy again this month and I will be buying NOTHING, no makeup, nail polish, hair products, skin care. Moving out of my student flat made me realise how much I have and its ridiculous!

*whew* I made it through Sephora, Macy's, Target, Fred Meyer, Lush, B&BW, *and* Blush Beauty Bar without buying anything on the forbidden list! I did buy three shirts at Macy's, but they were on clearance, and they will be great for the office. I've been wearing the same ten or so shirts to work every day for at least a year. It seems like it's time to shake up my wardrobe a bit. I also bought a red Helmer for nail polish storage, but that was on my list, so it's okay (and still in my car because I didn't feel like taking a sevond trip up and down the stairs for it because my blood sugar was past crashing). Overall, a successful day. Yay! ETA: *cough* I also ended up buying a _Goonies_ t-shirt from Teefury because _The Goonies_! It was a very, *very* important movie for me. I was exactly the same age as the kids in the movie when it came out. I don't know how many times I have seen it at this point. And I'm close enough to Astoria that it's a pretty common daytrip, so now I will have appropriate attire for the journey. I just have to remember to NOT BUY ANY MORE PINT GLASSES FROM THE WET DOG CAFE! Ahem. For some reason, I keep forgetting that I already have some and keep getting another one every time I go there. Hey, there, something else added to the no-buy list!

i'm trying for a no-buy this month. Zoya threw me off with the Liberty deal but now i'm back on board, no matter how much it hurts.

I bought some conditioner earlier this week, but i was runnning low so I'm not really counting that as a buy. Birchbox is my only sub now since i cancelled Ipsy. I shouldn't need anything else this month, so i am going to try to make it a no buy monyh and keep using up what i already have.

Summer gets really tight at my house so I am on a no buy unless I am completely out of a product of all brands. Including bath and body products. It's def. hard and trying to learn that I do not need a big stash of makeup for a once in a while use, so I've been trying to decrease my stash as well.

So I bought razor blades this weekend.  I could have gone  a bit longer without buying them, but I had 2 coupons that together made them $7 off.  That's a good deal!  But somehow I can't stop feeling guilty for buying them.  I feel like a broke a no-buy, even though I didn't.  What's wrong with me?

No buy except for Birchbox monthly box. Either skip Julep box, or just a regular box if I really love the colors.

Wish me luck!

I have Birchbox and Ipsy. I'm surprised I haven't brought anything beauty related in almost 20 days.

I'm attempting a no buy this month! The only beauty expense I will have is shipping for trades and the circular box. I hope I can keep it up all month

I'm going to try and take it slow with a low buy for July and a no buy for August. After seeing the UD lipsticks its gonna be hard. I'm only allowing myself replacements for empties this month.

Haven't been in one of these threads in a while, but it's time. No makeup for me for the rest of the month. Had unexpected surgery and lost a lot of pay at work. >.< Good luck everyone. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Latest posts

Back