Recently got my hair relaxed...questions

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got my hair relaxed 2 days ago (Tuesday). Is it now okay to wet/wash my hair? I've always heard that you have to wait a bit before doing so, but I don't know if that's actually true or not since the last time I was relaxed was 10 years ago. 

Honestly, I really just want to see how straight it is without blow drying/flat ironing because I didn't see it when it was being done, and I wasn't watching the time either, so I'm not sure if it's fully processed either, and I'm a bit concerned that it's not because when I used a spray in conditioner (lightly misting) it looked like it was starting to revert.

If it is indeed underprocessed, what do I do?

I've only relaxed my own hair at home and I had never had a restriction on when I could wash my hair. It may be best to contact your hair dresser to get a correct answer.

Originally Posted by RachelS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It is really very easy. All you need is a round brush, a blow dryer, some hair products and 30 minutes of your time. That's it. You can also apply a perm that is if you have no problem with chemical products. You can buy them at local walmarts or cosmetic stores.

Hope this will help you :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Rachel !!!
Sorry, but that wasn't at all my question. My hair is already relaxed (or permed as many black people say). I just wanted to know the degree of processing it had.

You can wash your hair at anytime. Your hair although relaxed will still wave up but will straighten back out once you blow dry it or brush very well, depending on your texture. If you got a relaxer, the roots of your hair should be straight. If still kinky, you should wait a week to touch up to avoid over processing. I hope this helps

Thanks. I asked my friend that did it (and no worries, no backyard hair stylist is ever touching this hair! she's a cosmetologist and black herself and does this for a lot of people) and she said it was fine to wash. It's interesting. The roots are bone straight, and the rest is mainly just a little wavy. Looks perfectly done.

Relaxing is amazing! Eliminates the frizz and also helps to restore the hairs texture and shine! I usually have people wait till day three to relax because this I feel in the most beneficial for the product to really seep into the hair. But not having to take so many tools to the hair is absolutely amazing!

I hope you are loving your new hair! Make sure you use a straightening shampoo or antifrizz to keep the results perfect!

Hope this helps!

honey clouds!

I am loving it. I haven't washed it yet, but I will this weekend since I like washing my hair about once a week, though sometimes I stretch the length depending on a number of factors. I plan on using up my DevaCurl Low-Poo for my shampoo and then I'll probably switch to something else since I generally switch things up after a bit, and I got the huge 32oz bottle of it so I've had it for ages. In terms of conditioner, I'm currently using the Suave Professionals keratin one, but as with shampoo, I like to switch it up. But I've got plenty of products to keep my hair protected from the heat (which I only plan on doing once a week) since it stays well and if it's frizzy or anything I can just put my hair up, and plenty to keep it shiny as well.

Back