Does wearing top and bottom eyeliner make your eyes appear smaller?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I heard that wearing both top eyeliner and eyeliner on your waterline, make your eyes appear smaller. What does everyone think?

I think it does, which is why I prefer to wear mine like that. I don't want my eyes to appear any larger than they are.

I think it depends on the shape of your eyes. I have almond shape eyes and I like accentuate my eyes with both top and bottom.

It most definitely does. Just as light enhances, dark recedes. It you want to make larger eyes appear smaller apply a dark liner in the upper lash line and waterline. To make small eye appear larger, apply a light (white) liner in the upper lash line and waterline. Its one of the most absolute rules in color theory.

It does but, depending on the eye shape, it can make your eyes sexy and mysterious. When I wear black liner on both bottom and top, I make sure to soften the look by smoking the eye with a brown or bronze shadow.

I have deep set eyes and if I tightline and line waterline... My eyes do not look good. Most of the time I don't line either of them... Sometimes just tight line

I have deep set eyes and if I tightline and line waterline... My eyes do not look good. Most of the time I don't line either of them... Sometimes just tight line
Depending on eyeshadow colour and placement, tight lining / water lining can make deep set eyes appear smaller.

I heard that wearing both top eyeliner and eyeliner on your waterline, make your eyes appear smaller. What does everyone think?
Like most have already said, it depends on eye shape. Also, a smokey eye (regardless of eyeshadow colour) will actually make eyes smaller, it's the final symmetry between your eyes that will make them appear larger. I know it sounds contradictory, but it's true. And this is where the term "make-up is an illusion" comes into play here.

I think it does if you apply eyeliner directly to the lower waterline, since it defines very clearly where your eye ends.  I like to create the illusion of a larger eye by applying eyeliner to the lower lashline instead, leaving a tiny strip of skin above the eyeliner 
biggrin.gif

I think it does - the shape of your eyes plays into it too though. Personally I never put anything in the waterline, and if I do anything below my lower lashes it's a very light dusting of a very subtly dark eyeshadow - but most of the time, I do nothing but mascara on the lower lashes, no other definition. I find it makes my eyes look too closed off and small.

It depends on the shape of the eye, the eyeliner colour and your colouring.

I have very tiny eyes and usually tightlining with pencils is a big no for me. However, when I tightline with a brown Guerlain Loose Kohl, it emphasizes my eyes instead of making them smaller.

I tight line the upper lid and then do a very thin liner on the top lid of a darkish colour. On the bottom water line I usually do a beige/pinky colour or mauve and I always do a sweep of eyeshadow underneath to soften. I have almond shaped, deep set eyes and find this is a good look for me. I find the eyeshadow is essential to soften the look. Sometimes I add a very thin gold or brown line slightly under/along the lash line. Sort of like tight lining the bottom lashes. I have green eyes BTW. Look at the makeup tutorials by Lisa Eldridge and Wayne Goss if you're not sure. Wayne gives a tutorial on identifying your eye shape and then how to make up your eye shape.

If you want to make them appear bigger you can use white or light pink liner on your lower waterline. Dark colors definitely make them look smaller because it has a "shadow" effect.

I guess it depends on your eye shape and size! I have big almond eyes and I find that top and bottom eyeliner make my eyes  appear bigger. That's why I usually stay away from it and I apply only in the upper lash line and the waterline.

On me it does! I typically just wear liner on the top, but only half the time! Depends on the color of eyeshadow I have on

Yes I do feel that it does make your eyes appear smaller.  However in my case, my eyes just seem to look great when I line them both, so even if my eyes do look smaller I still do it.

My eyes look a lot bigger when I line top and bottom, but not fully. I'll fully line or 3/4 line either top or bottom (usually bottom and wing it out) and then line 1/3 or 1/2 of the top. Add some mascara and BAM, bigger eyes that POP! My eyes are almond shaped, and not that big, so I've perfected my technique over my 10 years or so of wearing makeup.

Back