Do I need a more pigmented under-eye concealer?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought the Eve Pearl dual salmon concealer (light/medium) a few days ago to help cover-up my extremely noticeable dark circles. They're blue/purple in color (I have thin skin under my eyes), and really stand out against my medium/light skin tone. The concealer helps to neutralize them somewhat, but not as much as I'd hope it would.

Do I simply need to use more product or should I look for a different shade or color? I'm a little new to using makeup and I don't want it to look obvious that I'm wearing anything at all since I'm a guy, so the less cakey it looks, the better.

Originally Posted by Tea101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I bought the Eve Pearl dual salmon concealer (light/medium) a few days ago to help cover-up my extremely noticeable dark circles. They're blue/purple in color (I have thin skin under my eyes), and really stand out against my medium/light skin tone. The concealer helps to neutralize them somewhat, but not as much as I'd hope it would.

Do I simply need to use more product or should I look for a different shade or color? I'm a little new to using makeup and I don't want it to look obvious that I'm wearing anything at all since I'm a guy, so the less cakey it looks, the better.
Hey there! Welcome to Makeuptalk! There are tons of different tricks you can do to help hide away those dark circles...I have them myself so I totally understand. One great trick is to use a matte salmon colored lipstick and dot it on the dark circles, blend it lightly with your fingertips, then cover it up with your concealer. It cancels out the blue/purple tones very nicely. You may need a thicker fuller coverage concealer. One of the best ones I've found is Yaby. Their concealers are super creamy, and thick without creasing or getting cakey. Let me know if either one of those options helps, if not, we can explore others!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by CheshireCookie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You may need a thicker fuller coverage concealer. One of the best ones I've found is Yaby. Their concealers are super creamy, and thick without creasing or getting cakey. Let me know if either one of those options helps, if not, we can explore others!
smile.gif
I assume you're referring to this?:

http://www.yabycosmetics.com/concealer-refill/

If so, should I choose one of their salmon/peach colors or stick to something closer to my skin tone?

Thanks

BMAKAvoCMAALc1r.jpg:large
(me apply makeup to Metallica's lead guitarist of Kirk Hammett for a TV show)

Eve Pearl has good items, so it may not be the product that you're using. It might be your application.

I do makeup on guys for photo shoots and TV shows all the time. So my application has to cover, look natural and last.  

Here are some tips that I use that may help you as well.

1. Hydrate

-use a EYE moisturizer

-proper hydration can makeup concealer glide better onto skin creating a more realistic look to skin

-if skin isn't hydrated properly, it will take the moisture out of the makeup and cause it to look cakey

-only use skin care products specifically for they eye or it can cause bumps under your eye

2. Apply concealer

-use thin layers of product. Don't cake it on.

-PAT (don't rub) on concealer. this compacts the color in thin layers, creating more coverage that you may need

3. SET your product.

-set concealer, when your finished putting on your concealer, by applying face powder like Temptu or MakeUp Forever Hi-Def powder.

-Apply it with a small brush for accuracy, and so you don't use too much.

- PRESS it into skin with a makeup sponge. When your finished, BRUSH OFF any excess powder from face so you don't have powder under your eye.

These steps will help create the coverage you need, but give you a realistic "non-makeup look" you want.

Mod Edit - Please no personal blog links, thank you!

Originally Posted by Tea101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I assume you're referring to this?:

http://www.yabycosmetics.com/concealer-refill/

If so, should I choose one of their salmon/peach colors or stick to something closer to my skin tone?

Thanks
Yes! Those
smile.gif
I use the one closest to my skin tone and you may need only that, it can go on very thick to conceal, but the formula is so creamy and blends so nicely, it won't be cakey or flake off later!

I use Eve Pearl concealers on guys all the time. And I agree with candacecorey... A thin application. Thicker concealers from brands like Kryolan, Ben Nye, Cinema Secrets, Dermablend, Dermacolour, etc, tend to go on thicker, but they need to be sheered way down to look natural... That's why I switched from these well-known brands a few years ago to Eve Pearl due to the "less extra step" in the process. If you (Tea101) are still wanting to use Eve Pearl, just apply a bit more, blend out the edges and set it. If you use a thicker textured brand, again sheer it out, blend out the edges and set it. Thicker textured products under the eyes are difficult to work, due to the creasing from the natural heat. So some tweaking from your practice will get your desired result. I find concealers on guys work best if the men have a tan. That way the concealer will blend naturally into their skin tone. If they have a ruddy complexion or are pale, a bit of foundation around the eye area will help in reducing the "look" of a concealer, no matter how well blended it is.

If you are using an under eye concealer it is because you either have dark rings there or because it looks like it. Sunken eyes create shadows in the eye sockets and this is the main reason to many people use concealer in the first place.

To make the eye look like it is not sunken you are going to need a concealer that is at least one shade lighter than your foundation - so LESS pigmented.

Sunken eyes are normal - to a degree. If you are needing an under eye concealer to cover up there then your problem could be worse than just a makeup issue. Drink water to rehydrate and make sure you do this on a continuous basis - as in every day.

If you are using an under eye concealer it is because you either have dark rings there or because it looks like it. Sunken eyes create shadows in the eye sockets and this is the main reason to many people use concealer in the first place. To make the eye look like it is not sunken you are going to need a concealer that is at least one shade lighter than your foundation - so LESS pigmented. Sunken eyes are normal - to a degree. If you are needing an under eye concealer to cover up there then your problem could be worse than just a makeup issue. Drink water to rehydrate and make sure you do this on a continuous basis - as in every day.
Sorry amandagreen, most of what you said is incorrect or more accurately a false-positive. People have dark circles is because the skin is the thinnest in that area of the human body. Most elderly people and people with certain medical conditions have puffy under eyes and even sunken eyes. Again, it has nothing to do with deep sockets but has everything to do with health. Sunken eyes are not normal and neither is puffy eyes. At least you're correct in one thing... Drink plenty or water. Make-up 102 -- there are 5 conditions that determine a corrective make-up app. I've listed one. (Hint- Refer to your s f/x theory and reverse engineer it to determine what the corrective colour theory should be used). ALL Concealers are made with blue blocker pigments. That's why concealers and correctors have more pigments in their formulation than in foundations. That's why people with vitiligo use concealers and correctors more than street level foundations. You need a concealer that closely matches your skin tone. Again colour theory is your best friend in make-up. If you use a concealer that's one shade lighter, you will have reverse raccoon eyes, definitely not natural looking and definitely not attractive looking either. Most people confuse "pigment" (colour) with "texture" (viscosity) when talking concealers or foundations. Also most people confuse eye brighteners as concealers and thus mis-use them for their intended purposes. Once again I can't stress enough the power of colour theory... And sadly how most people never use it.

I too have sucken in eyes and awful bags. My go to is a nightly eyecream that helps with puffs and decoloration from Clinique followed by their All About Eyes serum. It has been amazing, but obviously not perfect. I then use Maybelliene's vitamin C Dark Circle Eraser concealer. It's great!

I too have sucken in eyes and awful bags. My go to is a nightly eyecream that helps with puffs and decoloration from Clinique followed by their All About Eyes serum. It has been amazing, but obviously not perfect. I then use Maybelliene's vitamin C Dark Circle Eraser concealer. It's great!
Ahhh yes, skin care is the first step. But what type of concealer are you using?

I mentioned it in my comment. The Maybelliene Vitamin C Dark Circle Corrector. It's wonderful and I hardly have to neutralize anymore because my dark circles are so much better

Ahhh, yes you did. My mistake. I know of some dark circle eye treatments that have vitamin C written on the label... I gots confused... 😕

That's fine! I was skeptical of it but it actually covers dark circles well! Have you ever used it?

If you have 2 types of skin care products for your eyes, for example an anti-aging eye cream and then another eye cream for puffiness, be sure to use the one that targets puffiness in the day when you don't want it to be noticeable. No need to minimize the look of puffiness in your sleep.
wink.gif

Just my 2 cents about things we forget sometimes.

One thing I have to add. Make sure the product you're using is at room temperature and if it's a cold room "warm" the concealer on the back of your hand. Working with a cold product, especially a concealer, can lead a person to over apply and create a caked on look. 

Back