New job, boring dress code...let's brainstorm!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got a job offer from Sears, and it was a better offer than the one i got from AT&T, so I took it. I'm super excited about the job, but not at all thrilled about the dress code. Why? Because it's boring. I can wear black or khaki bottoms (skirt or pants) and black or white tops. Shoes can be any color but can't be open toed (but of course, most of my nice shoes are black).

I'm thinking I should probably get some fun colored earrings and hair ties and headbands, and I'll probably start rocking my bold lipsticks again...but what else can I do to add some color? I'm all about color...my closet looks like a rainbow threw up because I always try to get colors that I don't have/don't have much of!

Ideas?

Accessorize with bold jewelry? Can you wear scarves? Definitely rock the bold lip!

I'm not really a jewelry person. I own about 3 pairs of earrings, and wear only 1 (well, in my lobes -- I have a number of other ear piercings).

I went out and bought this stuff yesterday:

That'll help a lot!

Originally Posted by KeepOnSingin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not really a jewelry person. I own about 3 pairs of earrings, and wear only 1 (well, in my lobes -- I have a number of other ear piercings).

I went out and bought this stuff yesterday:

That'll help a lot!
Pretty!

Do they say anything in the dress code about nail polish?? You could wear a nice bright mani for some color. Then you can change it as often as the mood strikes you.

Originally Posted by Pollysmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do they say anything in the dress code about nail polish?? You could wear a nice bright mani for some color. Then you can change it as often as the mood strikes you.
They said nothing about hair, piercings, tattoos or nails. I always have some sort of color on my nails, and usually change it twice a week :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Bold arm rings, bangles i think they are called. English is not my first language sorry. Thoose that are about an inch wide would definatley bring some colour.  

And there is no way to wear like perhaps a knee lengt skrit in black with bright tights beneath?

Maybe coloured hair highlights. Doesent have to be your own hair but a streak of coloured synthetich hair on a bobby pin tucked into a ponytail or something. 

I found out Tuesday (my first day) that this dress code is corporate's and that in our store, it's basically been thrown out the window. We can wear color as long as it's professional looking. So today I wore a black dress with white, purple and blue flowers. Tomorrow I'm wearing a white dress with multi-colored butterflies. It's way too hot for pants or tights right now (we're talking mid 90s F and no air conditioning in the store -- brutal)...so for now I'm just going with dresses.

I had the same situation. One day I decided to make perfect fit combination for 14 days - first I tried to make a combination for 7 days. It was hard to make a selection of items that makes the outfit different.

To everything you should adjust fast and look beautiful :)

I always use my makeup to brighten up boring stuff. Neon eye looks, a bold lip and daring cat eye.

Glue some rhinestones on your face! =p

Glad to hear your dress code isn't as lame as corporates. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

scarves, bold lipstick or nail polish, cat eyes, bracelets; chandelier earrings. can you perhaps wear a shirt with a collar under your sears shirt? can you wear high socks? thatd be kinda cool....

Agree on the jewellery and manis... you'll have to post some pics and show us how the looks turned out

For the top, you could make it a bit cuter by buying a lace top. They're really popular now and several stores have them. Maybe some black combat boots, if ya dig?

Maybe add a pop of color to your makeup, if you don't like to be bold opt for a navy blue. Maybe a bright lip color? or go dark for winter/fall? Something eye catching to make it more exciting! Find a khaki skirt that fits you nicely and pair it with some black stockings?

Learn new hairstyles frequently to switch it up so it's not as boring and the same. As simple as it is, a side braid looks nice and takes no time, also sock buns. Super easy to make and looks professional.

Hope some of these helped! 
smile.gif

Lately, I've been revamping my work wardrobe to be a little more stylish. I work at Target Pharmacy where I am required to wear red and khaki. I've put together my own spin on the dresscode with the following look:

• A black collared top from Forever 21. The collar actually has gold chained tips and the buttons are actually on the back.
  • A vintage red blazer. It is a button down blazer (without lapels) with gold buttons, puff sleeves, and pocket square.
  • A knee length, high waisted beige pencil skirt
  • Black tights.
  • Kate Spade Mary Jane Platforms
  • On colder days I wear a royal blue Laduree scarf, tied ascot style with a vintage key cravat pin.

My advice is to take the colors you're assigned and finding stylish pieces for them. For you, I might suggest a black, high-waisted pencil skirt with floucy white top. If you can rock a short sleeve top, I'd probably pair that up with some arm candy. Gold would be a good color for this outfit suggestion.

Can you enrich your uniform in some colorful scarf? Earrings it is good idea too. You have to show off tights and belts too.

Latest posts

Back