Pre-Teen Skin Care Routine Help

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My almost 2 year old niece is needing to start on a skin care routine but every thing I've found is either too harsh or for aging skin. She isn't having any major breakouts but she's very active and getting blackheads around her nose and I want to help her before things get out of control. We did biore pore strips but her pores aren't large enough yet. 

Any suggestions for a nice face wash? She's not oily or combination skin yet (so my much loved Origins Checks and Balances isn't a good match).

Thanks for your help!

When I was her age, my favorite lines were Olay and Neutrogena. Olay's Foaming Face Washes are gentle, but excellent at cleansing and if her skin seems to feel to taunt or dry after washing, then you can use a light moisturizer (SPF for daytime) to keep that skin hydrated. Neutrogena actually has a blackhead scrub, however, it might be too rough on her young skin, so you could use a regular face wash for her entire face and focus the scrub on her problem areas! Their Oil-Free Acne Wash Foam Cleanser is the best that I've used, however, you may want to find one with a smaller percentage of salicylic acid since she's so young. Their Naturals Acne Cream Cleanser only has 1% salicylic acid, for example. Hands down the best product I adored in my young teens was Sea Breeze Fresh-Clean Astringent, Sensitive Skin! It was gentle on my skin, but I could feel it really get down in the skin for a deep clean, plus I LOVED the smell. It really helped with hormonal skin reactions, young acne, etc.. and kept the face super clean.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions or want any other suggestions!

Basis gel cleanser or Garnier Gelee cleanser. Both gentle and not overly drying. Thayers Rose Petal toner is gentle but good for balancing out a little oiliness.

Try a Clinique 3 step system. It's a great starter skincare routine that's easy to use and affordable. You mentioned she was active, I'm not sure if she wears makeup, but if so be sure to tell her to remove it before exercise.

If she isn't experiencing any breakouts, I would say establishing a cleansing routine would be a great start.  Look for cream based cleansers if she does not have oily skin.  Gel cleansers that foam are more combination/oily skin and are drying.  CeraVe hydrating cleanser is an affordable drugstore brand and Image Vital C Hydrating Cleanser is affordable professional brand.

Water intake throughout the day is also very important as well as a oil free moisturizer with an SPF of 30.  If her skin does begin to experience breakouts, seek the advice of an esthetician who will analyze her skin and come up with a skincare routine to help balance her skin.

Originally Posted by CheshireCookie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When I was her age, my favorite lines were Olay and Neutrogena. Olay's Foaming Face Washes are gentle, but excellent at cleansing and if her skin seems to feel to taunt or dry after washing, then you can use a light moisturizer (SPF for daytime) to keep that skin hydrated. Neutrogena actually has a blackhead scrub, however, it might be too rough on her young skin, so you could use a regular face wash for her entire face and focus the scrub on her problem areas! Their Oil-Free Acne Wash Foam Cleanser is the best that I've used, however, you may want to find one with a smaller percentage of salicylic acid since she's so young. Their Naturals Acne Cream Cleanser only has 1% salicylic acid, for example. Hands down the best product I adored in my young teens was Sea Breeze Fresh-Clean Astringent, Sensitive Skin! It was gentle on my skin, but I could feel it really get down in the skin for a deep clean, plus I LOVED the smell. It really helped with hormonal skin reactions, young acne, etc.. and kept the face super clean.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions or want any other suggestions!
I've used both for my little girl and it did wonders. She was in your niece's shoes and shortly after using those two, her face was clean as a baby's behind.

I would say get her something really gentle, like the Aveeno Clear Complexion Foaming Cleanser. It's really great for someone her age who is still getting used to caring for her skin. As for a moisturizer, the Aveeno Daily moisturizer is great because you can get it with spf, since you say she's active, or without spf. That's all she'll really need for starting out! 

You can use baby skin care products.Take moisturizes cream and take care for sun rays.Mostly used the facial products with vitamins ingredients.

Back