I need advice

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm 17, 134lbs 5'8 I have thin legs and what not but kind of a poochy stomach. I'm not like huge I'm just out of shape and I have been for about a year now. I tried running to burn fat but I literally can't run for more then 5 minutes at a time I have to walk for a little bit and then try to run again I did this for a little over a week and it killed me. I haven't done anything psychical in 5 years so I'm badly out of shape. I use to have a fast metabolism where I could eat whatever and gain nothing. Now I'm out of shape and feel ugly all the time. I just want a flat stomach again. I look 3 months pregnant or something. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I just feel like giving up. It's stressing me out. Also I have little love handles and I hate them. My boyfriend loves them but every time he touches them It reminds me of how fat I look.

Don't give up! And don't feel ugly. Everyone is beautiful, no matter what size! Keep in mind, you are what you eat! Eat healthy, go on a healthy diet, salads, yogurt. Leave tea and coffee especially after eating! Do a little push-ups. Five a day until you build your body up to it! Squats and jumping ropes help as well. Make losing weight fun instead of a drag. Go swimming and do some fun sports. It helps!

Omg... You're only 17... A kid, well, a young person. You-know-what-I-mean... Well at least you have a bf that loves you for who you are, so there's that, most girls don't have supportive bf's in that department, so you're lucky there. However, that doesn't address your feelings on the matter. I suggest doing something fun that you enjoy as a physical activity, rather than forcing yourself to do an exercise that you don't want to do. Yeah, crunches, push-ups, squats, lunges, running, etc, etc are great, but can be boring doing them by yourself. Perhaps a group activity would work better for you? You can check out your local community continuing education program catalogue and check out the workout / activity section, there's bound to be something in there that might pique your interest, and you'll meet new friends that'll support you. I am just putting it out there... Good luck.

Hey! Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. Just because you cant run for 10 miles doesn't mean you can't get a good cardio workout. There is a form of training called HIITS, which stands for high intensity interval training. Basically, you try to get your heart rate as high possible and hold it there for 1-2 minutes, then cool down for 2 minutes, then raise it again, then cool down. Do this for 15 to 20 minutes. What I would do is get on the treadmill and walk on an incline to warm up at 5 mph, then I canceled the incline and sprinted at 9 mph for 1 minute, then walk at 5 mph with the incline for 2 minutes, thensprinted again. I only did this for 20 minutes. Strength training is also veryyyy wonderful and you will NOT become bulky like most women think. It is the best way to tighten because with cardio you are breaking down muscle, so to build it back you must strength train. Planks, push ups, and other exercises are great. Search youtube for core work outs and HIITS workouts and alternate for a couple days a week. Youll love it and it will give you some variety!

And when I say get your heart rate as high as possible, I don't mean that. I meant get your heart rate to as high as it can be while still being in the healthy range. Theres a way to figure out your target heart rate. You can google it

From what you've described..5'8" and 134#, you are actually a little underweight. The problem with going strictly by weight is it does not take into account fat vs muscle. Muscle weighs much more than fat, but muscle mass also helps boost your metabolism. 

If, objectively, you are fat at 134# and a height of 5'8", then it sounds like you have very little muscle mass, which would also account for why you cannot run for very long. I think this is what is called skinny fat - where you are skinny with very little muscle. 

There's no easy answer to get back into shape except that you will have to exercise gently (a little at a time), and eat lean proteins (egg whites, fish, lean chicken, etc). Don't do aerobic exercise like running or swimming, you don't have the muscle for it yet, and you don't need to burn calories, you need muscle. You should look into a gradual weight training program (smaller weights, lots of reps)....like @beautysparks mentioned above, pushups, squats, lunges...those will help build muscle. 

Once you build up some muscle - your frame will feel firmer (no love handles).....so your thin frame (really, 134# is thin at 5'8") is firm, not 'flabby.' In addition, your metabolism will be higher, so you will naturally burn off more calories.  

Remember, you're only 17, you have a bf who likes you the way you are - and you're 5'8" (I can only wish to be that tall!) You have a lot going for you. My point is, you have a lot going for you. But you do need to treat your body well - you're going to live a long time, and that body is going to have to last you into you 80s+. If you can't run or do anything physical now, what are you going to do 20 years from now? 

PS (edit) -  If you google 'skinny fat,' there's a very informative article in the Huffington Post by Mark Hyman about what it means, and how to turn it around.

Back