Oily skin!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For all my oily skin girlfriends I need your help! What are your must have skincare products! I'm having a hard time with my oiliness at the moment!

I am either excessively oily or super duper dry there is no normal in between for me . When I am super oily I make sure to use a clarifying cleanser, an oil control gel and blotting powder and wipes. I love pharmaskin products especially the botanica v line, its amazing for the skin and does absolute wonders for the skin. It gives the skin a nice healthy skin and glow. 

Hope this helps! 

Honey Clous

Well, I would say start off with a moisturizer specifically designed for oily skin. The one that comes to mind right away is clinique's dramatically different moisturizer.

http://www.skincarehq.org/articles/10-best-moisturizers-for-oily-skin/our-4-pick

It comes in a gel form and for oily skin this is perfect. You want to feel moisturized but the creams geberally leave you feeling like an oil slick. It's a little more costly than your average drug store moisturizers...but def worth it if you are struggling so much with oily skin.

The next thing I would do is use a primer under make up. Ben Nye has a great banana powder one that you can use. It's actually a highlighter but doubles perfectly as a primer.

Instead of blotting paper (which I fin is messy and also ruins my makeup) carry around a super light weight translucent powder. L'Oreal has one that I am absolutely in love with.

My skin is more oily in the summer and slightly less oily in the winter so I have to switch up my products with the seasons.  During the humid summer months here in the south, I have a morning routine of a 3% salicylic cleanser, followed by a balancing serum, then clairifying lotion with a 6% blend of salicylic and benzoyl peroxide, topped off with a SPF 30 oil free moisturizer.  At night I cleanse with the same salicylic cleanser, then bleaching serum (help with hyperpigmentation), topped off with a retin A repair cream.  In the winter I switch up the cleanser at night with one that has 12% glycolic.

When I wear makeup, I use GloProfessional primer, concealer, and pressed base for foundation.  Sometimes I use the infamous Ben Nye banana powder but I try not to touch up my face during the day because I don't always use makeup that is good for my skin other than Glo.  It tends to elevate my grade 1 acne to grade 2.

Do not use facial scrubs on oily skin.

Use a moisturizer that is light and oil-free.

Use natural products.

This is what I saw on a website Half an hour before taking your bath apply on your face half teaspoon each of lime and cucumber juice mixed together. If your skin is excessively oily, mix in a few drops of eau de cologne. This not only helps keep oiliness away but also helps in refining the pores of the skin by acting as astringent, thereby preventing acne. To prevent the problem of your makeup becoming patchy either on the forehead, chin or nose due to excessive oiliness in these areas, apply a little cucumber juice on the excessively oily parts of your face, dry thoroughly and then apply your makeup. If your whole face turns patchy after makeup is applied on it, then apply equal parts of lime juice and witch-hazel. Dry well before putting on your makeup. Choose an astringent that contains acetone, which is known for dissolving oil. Strong astringents will do more harm than good, stimulating an overproduction of oil. To clear away excess oil, use a clay or mud mask. Blend together well 1 teaspoon green clay powder and 1 teaspoon raw honey. Apply the mixture to your face, avoiding the eye area. Leave it on for fifteen minutes, then rinse well with lukewarm water. Do this at least three times a week--or more. Once or twice daily, mix equal parts of lemon juice and water together. Pat mixture on your face and allow it to dry, then rinse with warm water. Follow with a cool-water rinse.

Hi,

Why don't you try some natural remedies like using essential oil with cream?  Washing face with lemon oil and water is one of the best solutions.  And the most important thing having lots of fruits which contain water.

Honestly its not so much about skin products as it is about other factors. A problem that is all too common is if you use a good product that is for oily skin, say a face wash, but you use HOT water, dont even bother using anything then.

Do you use hot water on your face? if you do that could be making your face even more oily. What happens is, hot water tightens the face and it looks really good right after you wash it, but the truth is its drying and damanging your skin. when you put hot water on your face, youre drying it out and then your skin produces more oil in an attempt to moisturize it. This causes your skin to break out even more.

This might not be the only problem, but it could be a huge part of the problem.

Oily skin secretes excessive oil (sebum) that contains fats that form a film that helps keep moisture in the skin. Often oily skins become clogged with debris and other matter resulting in blackheads, pimples, zits, bumps and dark spots.   

I have very oily skin, but it can be a blessing and a curse at the same time. I think I look like a light bulb during the summer, glowing all day. To deal with my oily skin I only used unscented soap on my face and don't use a heavy moisturizer. The moisturizer must be oil-free so that it doesn't cause even more problems. I think someone mentioned on another thread coconut oil, but that will definitely proliferate the problem.

Quote: Originally Posted by theHulk750 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  My skin is more oily in the summer and slightly less oily in the winter so I have to switch up my products with the seasons.  During the humid summer months here in the south, I have a morning routine of a 3% salicylic cleanser, followed by a balancing serum, then clairifying lotion with a 6% blend of salicylic and benzoyl peroxide, topped off with a SPF 30 oil free moisturizer.  At night I cleanse with the same salicylic cleanser, then bleaching serum (help with hyperpigmentation), topped off with a retin A repair cream.  In the winter I switch up the cleanser at night with one that has 12% glycolic.

When I wear makeup, I use GloProfessional primer, concealer, and pressed base for foundation.  Sometimes I use the infamous Ben Nye banana powder but I try not to touch up my face during the day because I don't always use makeup that is good for my skin other than Glo.  It tends to elevate my grade 1 acne to grade 2.
First of all, I find ur posts very helpful in every catagory and u xplain it good. thnx.
I wanna know that can we easily get these glycolic and salicylic gels? And mix them with other products ourselves?
Can u name any bleaching serum product in any brand? I have this pigment problem on my neck in winter. I feel like it gets pigments in winters specially and feels bit darker than my face!
pls help.
thnx

I am an Esthetician and use professional grade products that are results driven which is indicated by the higher percentages of active ingredients like salicylic and glycolic acids.  It's the approach I take to my personal skincare but not everyone is the same and each skin type presents it's own set of challenges.  My Fitzpatrick skin type is a IV - V meaning that when exposed to UV rays I rarely burn and tan very easily but what that also means is that I have a higher risk of developing hyperpigmentation if I do too much to my skin.  Knowing how your skin reacts to sun exposure is very important when experimenting with new products as well as knowing your skin type (oily, combination, normal, dry, dehydrate - lacks water).  

I wouldn't recommend that you run out and buy a bunch of products to mix together as you may damage your skin even further in the process.  Sometimes people get lucky when they mix up their own and other times it creates more problems.  If it's in your budget, seeking the advise of a licensed Esthetician is a great first step.  Find one that gives you options for budget and the results you want to see.  I like to offer product lines that is organic based and one that has performance ingredients as some people don't want to be as aggressive with their skin as others.  There are websites that do sell professional grade products like the ones I use and recommend to clients but I think it's risky.

Like 1underarm commented previously, oily skin is a result of oil production from the sebaceous glands attached to each hair follicle.  The sebaceous glands creates whats called the acid mantel which is a protective barrier to guard against contaminants.  Normal skin has normal balance of oil production where as dry skin lacks oil and oily skin has too much.  There are degrees of oily skin as well.  Normal oily skin tends to be the most oily at the later part of the day where as excessively oily skin is shiny by mid morning.  The key is to find balance and not remove too much oil from the skin as this will create all sorts of problems like create more oil!.  Salicylic acid is a beta hydroxy acid (also found in asprin) commonly used to treat oily skin and acne but knowing the percentage to use and what your skin can tolerate is tricky.  Most over the counter brands will have up to 2% and professional brands will have 3%.

Bleaching serums either fade the dead pigmented skin on the top layer of the epidermis or inhibit pigment production.  Its likely that the pigment you have on your neck is present in the warmer months as well when you are exposing your skin to the sun more frequent.  Your skin produces pigment (melanin) to protect it from UV rays, and in response to trauma like burns which leaves dark scarring.  Wear sunscreen with at least and SPF of 30 during the day to help reduce the amount of sun exposure and exfoliate regularly to remove dead skin cells.  Bleaching and skin lighteners is a process and commitment.  Limiting sun exposure and protecting your skin is a must if you want to see change.  They also take time, months, and don't work over night.  I alternate every three months with Image skin bleaching serum and the Image lightening serum.  There are lots on the market but make sure you aren't allergic to the ingredients.

Wash your face daily. it will clear the oils on your face so pimples don’t accumulate.use a scrub to get rid of blackheads and exfoliate your skin, making your skin feel refreshed and youthful.finding a facial cleanser may take a while depending on your preference.or you can go all natural by using oatmeal.

I have combination skin, but my t zone is very oily.  Have you ever tried milk of magnesia during the day to control oil?  It's wonderful!

These are some factors that are responsible for oily skin:

·  Heredity

·  Diet

·  Cosmetics

·  Humidity and hot weather

Keep your skin very clean. Limit washing your face to two or three times a day. Too much washing will stimulate your skin to produce more oil. You can also use lemon juice to reduce oil on skin.

Hello, try not to wash your face excessively. Tune it down, use a mild cleanser but throughout the day, use a clean & wet towel and wipe your face.

Hope it helps! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hi Ditzymakeup,

You should try out Yllume face mask, they offer different types of masks for different skin types(like sensitive, oily, dry skin etc ). All the products are made up of natural ingredients and have no side effects on the skin.

Hey Ditzymakeup. You shouldn't use any ordinary soap on your face.Soaps are keeping oil in it.Keep your face over steam 5+ minutes before bath.Steam removes extra oil. 

Here are some tips for oily skin,

Wash your face with hot water

Choose the right cleanser

Use a liquid face wash that contains alpha-hydroxy acids

Choose an antibacterial soap formulated with benzoyl peroxide or triclosan.

Back