Hoarding Makeup Issues

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As hunters and gatherers, I believe we are genetically susceptible to hoard stuff. We hunt for good deals, and we buy so much. But what do we do with all the stuff? Honestly, I may not have as much makeup as some of you, but having 27 lipsticks on rotate is kind of scaring me and the infinite number of glosses I have is just sad. And seriously, what do I do with 100+ polishes? I have a lot of items I haven't even opened, but have bought because they were at a good price (50% - 90 % off at stores that were closing). But then I don't even use them because I have similar items I should finish first. Once every six months, I tend to open my "overstock" stash to my mother in law and sister in law so that they could take some off my hands and yet I still pile up more after they do. What to do? How to stop? I'm sure I'm not the only one with this issue. Lets discuss.

Hi, I'm new here and have found that I recently have been buying more and more, but I do use what I buy! I really think making sure you rotate is important. Also, throw the old stuff out! This is what I did. My hubby bought me the huge Mega Photo Op Smashbox Pallette from QVC about a year and a half ago. Once I got that,all the old stuff went out. I used his faithfully for an entire year and then really got interested in holiday kits so I went a little crazy and now I have 5 more pallettes! But, I do keep them all in rotation and use them once very week-10 days. Keep pulling it all out and using those great shades and maybe it will keep you from buying more! Good luck!

I have this problem and I'm TRYING to stop. I'm sure I don't have the biggest hoard either but I have a hoard none the less. I totally feel you on the lipsticks and lipglosses. I have 12 mascaras in rotation! That's insane! Nobody can use that much up before they expire. My collection is getting bigger and bigger. I've really run out of space to store it so I'm going through and weeding out duplicates, or things that won't be used and giving them to friends. It's hard though! I know realistically I can't use 15 blushes all almost the same colors. I had to put myself on a no lip product buy for the rest of the year because the number I have is ridiculous and they are all basically the same 3 colors repeated by different brands. 

I just want all the makeup and I can't finish what I have. I'm starting to get the same way with skincare so I need to slow my roll there as well.

I have 6 full sized and 5 deluxe sized mascara in rotation, but in my defense, I use two at a time and some are brown tinted. Still doesnt justify the 15 full sized and 6 deluze sized (i had over two dozen deluxe but i gave most away) that are waiting to go into rotation. My blush and bronzer rotation is at 12 but I have double that amount waiting to be opened. I can't even get started on how much lip stuff, I have unopened. I have one whole glossybox packed of lip stuff and a beauty army box packed of just lipstick. I should do a no buy on lip stuff for two years. And I weeded down my black eyeliner rotation to 7 instead of 12. But I still have 9 in overstock. I relieved I only have five big palettes on rotation and 7 small ones but I have two dozen singles. And there's 5 palettes unopened ( but they're either gifts or bonuses). Granted, I take a little pride in my box organization of all my overstock and samples, but Its just sad to know that I could prob live without buying new makeup or just even face, body, and hair products for a year or so. In my defense, a store was closing down and selling off at 90% so that's why I have a years supply of hair care, hair color, body wash, lotion, and toothpaste.

On a side note, there so be a show called extreme makeup collecting. Show off hoards like they do in extreme couponing.

I started noticing I might be going down this road a couple months ago. I have only really been playing with make-up for almost a year now. I got my first higher quality (as in not drugstore) palette for my birthday at the end of August last year. I am now pretty much no longer buying palettes, especially the higher priced ones. I have so many colors already and I am trying to keep a palette in rotation each week. I also try to rotate the blush I use (I have maybe 5 or 6 individual blushes, not including samples and those in palettes) and I always grab a different lip product.

One thing I did is to look for looks on Pinterest for example, and then make notes right in my pin about which I my products I want to try it with.

I also get Ipsy each month which kind of satisfies my urge to make-up shop for at least a couple weeks.

Other than that, I do the same things I do with clothes and stuff. I ask myself:

- Do I already have this shade?

- Will I actually wear this? How often?

- If I leave it now and decide I want it later, how easy will it be to get?

- Is there anything else I would rather have or need more that I could get with this money?

- Can I get a dupe for less?

Omg if they made that show I could be cast! I actually looked into this awhile back bc I was concerned I may have a hoarding problem, turns out hoarders save random trash such as food wrappers and newspapers, if you have a lot of makeup that's considered a collection bc it's something specific. Hoarding is a mental illness whereas collecting I a hobby and most people have something they collect like stamps, those little spoons, shot glasses, or coins, you get the idea. I collect both makeup and perfume, the only things I don't collect are mascara (even though I have at least 25 unopened tubes) bc of bacteria after opening and foundation bc I have a few I like and I don't want to play with different looks on my skin other than varying coverage and finishes.

My problem is that my bathroom has too much storage! There's 4 huge cabinets and like a 6 foot long counter with drawers and cupboards so I can fit sooo much without it feeling like I have too much. I dont have quite as much makeup as you guys but I have probably 30-40 hair products and almost the same color blush in 5 or 6 different brands.  Even if I'm happy with a product I'm using, for some reason I always think I might like some new one (that is basically the same) better.  I mostly just buy full sizes if I want to try new products and my subs are for entertainment. I like the Pinterest idea a lot.  I'm going to start looking on there for ideas on how to use some of this stuff up.

I don't know if I hoard but I have so many items solely because of ipsy and birchbox. I really don't buy items at sephora or ulta. But I do buy items with my points in the birchbox shop. I told myself if I could no longer keep up with using my samples that I will have to quit all of them. Obviously I couldn't do that lol So what I have done and its really working is go through my samples and pick at least 10 items and put them in a glossybox in my bathroom counter. Because most of the time i put my samples in our extra bedroom and never go back to them. So when I do my night or morning routine I see these items and I use them. I had no clue I had so many eye masks or face masks. And it's fun to have a spa night. And I have seen that slowly but surely my sample stash is going down. I have also thrown away a lot of makeup I hadn't used in a year. And it feels good but also I feel kinda wasteful.

A lot of my stuff comes from sub boxes.  Yes, I would be horrified to have a family member go into my bathroom right now! 
eek.gif

Originally Posted by Carmela DeJesus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a side note, there so be a show called extreme makeup collecting. Show off hoards like they do in extreme couponing.
smilehappyyes.gif
  I would love to watch that!  Although my collection is not as big as some of the others posted I definitely feel overwhelmed by the amount of beauty products I have at times.  I always want to try to new products to see if I like them more than whatever products I'm currently using.  I just recently starting doing my nails myself and now I have so many nail polishes already almost half of which I haven't even opened yet! 

Originally Posted by easteregg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A lot of my stuff comes from sub boxes.  Yes, I would be horrified to have a family member go into my bathroom right now! 
eek.gif
I used to get two Birchboxes but I cancelled the secondary one because I was just acquiring too much stuff.  Although I loved getting both boxes and would love to get two again I just don't need it.

Yep Ive a problem with hoarding cosmetics...what if MAC LE collections. I keep buying non -stop ... sighz

Latest posts

Back