August 2013 No Buy/Low Buy Support

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was almost a bad girl today. ): I've been good for SO LONG too. I'm finally getting paid regularly again so the temptation is great (I'm back at my old research job until the end of the year), but at this point it's mostly that I just really don't need more stuff. Also, every dollar not spent is a dollar I can throw at my student loan >___>

Things I avoided toady:

- Hautelook beauty bag / theBalm sale -- XD I got bulldozed at work and when I had free time again, and when I came back, the one I wanted was OOS and theBalm order wouln't be worth it without it

- singuldge.com had $20 off $20... the code stopped working too when I was at work

- Got the $30 julep mystery box to drop down to $21... but still didn't buy it! XD I just reminded myself of how disappointed I was by the NYE one.

:D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Anyone else successful/not successful? lol

I'm with you on the Hautelook TheBalm - soooo tempting!! But it's only a day in and I gotta stay strong. I want to do a no-buy on all beauty/makeup/clothes for the entire month.

I came very, very close to ordering the Balm Jovi palette because I WANT!  SO PRETTY!  GOOD DEAL!  But then I reminded myself that I have a mystery eye Kaleidoscope from Le Metier de Beaute coming in the first VIP Vault shipment, and I have some GDE pigments on the way, *plus* the palette colors actually really aren't anything I'm likely to wear.  I just like the concept and the packaging.  I made it through the first day without buying any makeup or bath products!

(I do have a few things on my allowed list even though this was supposed to be a no-buy month:  Orly Sparkling Garbage because I have a feeling it's going to be a get-it-now-or-miss-it-forever shade, a new 6-month GDE sub if I can snag it because I NEED TO CONTINUE MY SUB!, and whatever essence trend edition stuff comes out, if anything comes out.  I thought there would be more in July or on the first of August after the Floral Grunge collection, but nothing new has been announced yet, and FG was in my local stores the last weekend of June.  I had more GDE primer on that list, but I think I can make it through August with what I have.  But I'm going to work on selling some perfume oil, and maybe I can move some stuff on eBay, so the plan/goal is to use only those funds for the allowed list, which means it will kind of be like swapping.)  

Well I started off my no-buy month pretty poorly by purchasing the Haute Look spring beauty bag, but I'm determined now to only buy essentials for the rest of the month and really...that Suki WAS essential (so I'm telling myself). So far, I've been able to resist the Julep Mystery Golden Box, Haute Look's Balm and MUFE sale, and buying an extra Bondi box.

I'm only going to spend money on subs I'm already signed up for...that's it! Pinky promise!

I also am trying to stick with my no-buy this month.  I spent tons of money on Hautelook though, I bought a new pair of Uggs on Wednesday and the Spring Beauty bag (only for the suki, I am trading/selling/gifting the rest) on Thursday. I am going to try to avoid buying anything the rest of the month. I also am only sticking with my Birchbox, goodies, and practically free Love with Food box this month.  I canceled Starlooks and stayed strong by not subscribing to Bondi or resubscribing to Ipsy.  I also started trading for the first time during the last week of July and I love it!  I get to get fun things in the mail that I only have to pay shipping for.

I am adding myself rright to that list. i think the payment for the NBTT goeas off our account but that should be about it. I want to take a little break before I decide to subscribe to the Bondi box although it looks sooooo awesome and their service is just fantastic. If all services were like that I would have serious money issues.

I am pretty good not buying new makeup with having everything I need at home but polishes are hard to walk by.

I am officially on a no buy for the rest of the year. The only things I will purchase are razors, deodorant, nail polish remover, and toothpaste, and none of those will be purchased until I run out. I won't run out of anything else for a very long time. I'm doing a no buy just because of how much stuff I've accumulated in the last year. I'm getting overwhelmed and I would like to use up a good amount of my stash before it all starts to expire. I'm getting Ipsy and Birchbox this month, but Ipsy might have to go next month. I can justify keeping Birchbox because I love receiving it in the mail, I can actually finish the products I receive, and I can use my points to buy new brushes for my Clarisonic every few months.

Ok. I think I'm going to do this... Or at least I like to subscribe each month but not comment because I don't really stick to a low/no buy. I just like reading these encouraging posts! I shouldn't spend money on things I don't need. I am in my last 3 weeks at my very well paying internship but after this it's back to grad school and I don't have a little part time job set aside. I also have to remind myself that even though sephora does double/triple point bonuses, my points don't get me anything but a cute mini sample of something I probably already own...

I want to do a no buy August but I know I'll cave once Sephora's triple points starts on the 12th so I might just do a mid August to mid September no buy instead, which would end right around my birthday which is perfect

Continuing my low buy into this month. 

• Julep box (allowing upgrade only if I love all the colors - Sept. is my bday month!)
  • Birchbox
  • Any type of product I only have one of, and have used up (ie. I only have one concealer that might run out, and one dry shampoo, etc.)

I need to stay faaaar away from Sephora, both online and in person, lol.

I went through my coupon organizer and tossed all coupons with August expiration dates. Now I won't be tempted to buy anything "because I have a coupon I've gotta use!" I think the key for me to this no-buy month is going to be outsmarting myself, all month long, lol

I purchased more in July than I ever have before in one month, so August is a definite no-buy for beauty products, not including subs that are already paid for and trades. I did cancel Glossybox. August is my last month for Glitter Daze, and I'm not sure about ipsy. I won't run out of any essentials in August, so I don't need to make exceptions there. I find it helpful to temporarily unsubscribe from the e-mails from my favorite stores. I might do a no-buy for September, too, but I'm just going to focus on August right now. I have a ton of untried products that I am going to work on trying and blogging about. Money is tight right now, so that should actually help. I would never want beauty products to get in the way of paying bills.

I've been playing cart Tetris on Hautelook and Tarte's websites, but proud to say I resisted online shopping tonight...even the Tarte F&F sale! This week I'm going to go though my products and make an inventory list of everything so I know exactly what I have and what I should use up/cut back on so I can save a bit of money. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by LydiaNichole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been playing cart Tetris on Hautelook and Tarte's websites, but proud to say I resisted online shopping tonight...even the Tarte F&F sale! This week I'm going to go though my products and make an inventory list of everything so I know exactly what I have and what I should use up/cut back on so I can save a bit of money.
smile.gif
That sounds like a good idea, to make an inventory list.

Originally Posted by LydiaNichole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been playing cart Tetris on Hautelook and Tarte's websites, but proud to say I resisted online shopping tonight...even the Tarte F&F sale! This week I'm going to go though my products and make an inventory list of everything so I know exactly what I have and what I should use up/cut back on so I can save a bit of money.
smile.gif
I may have to make and inventory too. Maybe when I see how much of things I actually have it'll encourage me to use them up instead of buying

I fell off the wagon already... 3 for $10 Sephora OPI nail polishes. Gah. Why am I so weak... 
sadno.gif

I have to update my inventory. I forget who it was who had a snazzy Google Docs version of hers, but it looked so cool I'm going to try that!

I got through the weekend with my plan intact!  I *was* going to make a special exception for a traincase at Sephora, but they didn't have it in stock, and I left without buying *anything*.  I did buy some essence today, but it was all new trend edition stuff that just came out and therefore specifically on my allowed lost (Ticket to Paradise collection:  nail polishes and eye shadows in Dive With Me to the Island and Tropical Heat and lipglosses in Sun Said Red and My Paradise Island).  Added bonus:  It was buy-one-get-one-50%-off.  And I did *not* get the shimmer powder even though I had originally planned on it.  Now the long wait until next month's new trend edition commences!

My brother's girlfriend brought me nail polish presents today, so that was helpful.

I should be good this month if I can avoid sephora's double points week. The only other thing I've been really tempted with recently is laneige's water sleeping pack from Sasa.com. I used it last summer and it was heavenly. But the shipping from Hong Kong takes forever. At least that's my excuse for not spending money haha. Though tbh, it's been a long time since I've treated myself to a good Sasa.com haul or a haul of any sort actually. But that's what christmas is for. That's when I reward myself for being good, haha.

*does walk of shame into room*

It's only August 5th and I've blown through my birthday money. This year, I have gone through a eyeliner hoarding phase, a mascara hoarding phase, and now I'm going through a nail polish hoarding phase. My goals for this month are to go through my collection and get rid of products I don't use and update my spreadsheet. I eventually want to narrow my collection down to 2-5 products that are my must-haves in each makeup category and just buy those products as needed. I'm going broke trying new products, especially when I end up going back to the product that I was originally using. I honestly don't need to buy anything else. I don't want to end up like 70% of makeup people on Youtube with a room full of makeup.

Latest posts

Back