Depot all the things!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got tired of clutter and wasteful packaging and I started depotting my drugstore lipsticks into pans. Check out the first set!

There's some ELF, some L'Oreal Colour Riche and some Maybelline ColorSensational. I think it all came out rather nicely.

That looks really nice. I've wanted to do this many times but changed my mind because it would be inconvenient for touch ups. What kind of case is that?

Glam RX sells tiny palettes for portability, which solves the touchup problem because of how convenient they are.

The magnetic palette I used is an organizer page from Trish McEvoy. They are a bit pricy but I like how they look and they have a tab with holes in it so I keep the bunch I have together in groups of three with looseleaf binder rings. Plus, I really like the all clear look.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/trish-mcevoy-large-refillable-makeup-page/2867950

Trish McEvoy also has small magnetic compacts that you can fill and take with you but personally the Glam Rx mini palettes are good too and much cheaper.

Looks great! I thought it was blush at first, heh. 

Are you going to be carrying the case plus a lip brush for touch ups? I've been wanting to depot some of my lipsticks but applying light shades with a lip brush sounds like too much of a hassle. Maybe I should just give it a try...

Applying with a lip brush takes a bit more work and I think for the next time I might add some castor oil to soften things up a bit and make it easier to pick up color.

As for portability, I have a small palette from Glam Rx that came with in my Ipsy bags that is perfect for whatever color I want to take and a brush, and it has a mirror, so when I need to retouch it's not going to be too difficult.

I also "depotted" some OCC liptars into pans. For anyone curious they are a mix of 1 part liptar to 1.5 parts TKB lipstick base by weight. I weigh out the base into a heatsafe container (I used paper dixie cups because I was depotting a bunch), melted it in the microwave, weighed in the liptar, mixed, gave it a bit more heat in the microwave to make it very liquid and then poured into the pans. A good quantity for 26mm pans is 1g liptar to 1.5g base for a total of 2.5g.

Does anyone know how to get the remaining lipgloss out of a full sized Smashbox? Earlier this week, someone on MUT mentioned taking off the ring that keeps too much gloss from coming out, but I can't figure it out.

If it's a gloss in a tube you can grab a knife, pry it between the tube itself and the ring and then pull the ring out. In this image you can see where to insert the edge of the knife in a tube of gloss. While this tube is a Too Faced product it should be similar to your Smashbox glosses. Once that piece is out you can reach the rest of the gloss with ease. However, it will become messier so take care when transporting the tube.

Back