Dermatologist Prescribed Epiduo + Solodyn Questions

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went to dermatologist to look at my acne.  My acne is moderate close to severe but my jawline is severe.

I was told by looking at my face, to use epiduo as the topical cream and solodyn as the antibiotic.

I was given a few samples of epiduo and solodyn as I don't have insurance.  I was told that its very expensive without insurance.   I was told it would take 4-6 weeks to see some type of results but it should clear up your skin in probably 3 months or so.

I checked reviews online and from what i read, epiduo doesn't really do much.  Thoughts on this?  Did this work for you?  Im told to only use this at night.  Also, i know epiduo has Benzoyl peroxide but does this work better than it?  I was told i could just use 2.5 or 5% BP if i dont want to spend the money for the epiduo since i dont have insurance.  I could get acne.org bp and thats $25 and would last a very long time.  What about epiduo?

I also read a lot of ppl mentioning that going on an anti-biotic is the worst thing you can do.  Is this true or false based on your experience?  I read some reviews where ppl mentioned there is hair loss as a side effect and that it doesn't work at all.  I did read some good reviews about it but mostly were negative.

Is epiduo + solodyn a good choice for moderate to a bit close of severe acne?  I read reviews that this is what most derms prescribe to patients where their acne isn't severe but its getting there.  I had asked if i would been a candidate for accutane and was told its best to do this first to see if it works. 

Which is more important?  Epiduo or solodyn?  And how long should i use it before i can say... okay this isn't working or making it worst.  Should i stop asap if either of these are causing problems?

Does anyone know how long a tube of epiduo should last?  I was given 6 samples of epiduo from my dermatologist and each one is about 2 grams.  I spoke to someone who has these samples and was told those samples should last 1 month or so thus each of these 2 gram samples should last 5 applications?  Would that be correct?  Does anyone know how much does it cost without insurance?  I googled and it seems like its around $400 for it?  Should i wait until i run out of samples first before purchasing it?  

Also, i have a coupon card given by my derm for the epiduo and i read that it saves $50 off epiduo since i dont have insurance.  Does anyone know the approximiate price for it?  Another question i have is do certain places charge more or less for these prescriptions?  Such as a regular drugstore vs a big name drugstore?  Or should prices be all around the same?  I would like to know where i can get the epiduo the lowest cost as im from nyc.

Okay so i been using it for 2 week now.   However it seems to cause my cystic pimples.  The first few days it seemed to help but the breakout now is really bad.  I gotten more cystic pimples in the area.

Also im a bit confused about the applying the epiduo.  I was insftructed by my derm to just use a pea size amount.  I know what a pea size amount looks like as i seen pictures of what ppl do with pea size.  But do they mean pea size for the entire face?  Or do they mean pea size for each area of the face?  For example, i have very bad acne on my right jawline.  I also have a good amount of acne on my forehead.  Then i have a good amount on the left side of my face.  

Does that mean i use a pea size amount for each of those 3 areas thus 3 pea size amounts or just 1 pea size amount for all 3 places?  Because if someone has acne in many areas of the face,  i can't imagine a pea size would be enough if they have pimples everywhere.

Also, is applying moisturizer necessary?  Does applying it make it work better or not work?  

Really want to know your experiences with epiduo on this forum.  Thank you.

I dont have experience with what you are asking about but I used to have awful acne.. think two rounds of accutane.. oral antibiotics... retin a.. and still suffering from acne. this is what I have found works for me better than prescription drugs. African black soap, argan oil, burdock root tea twice a day, and making my own toner that consists of witch hazel, lavender essential oil, geranium essential oils, and tea tree oil. my skin had never looked this good

Hi i tried that soap and it broke me out really bad.

Does anyone here used epiduo can give me their experience?

Latest posts

Back