Favourite way to exfoliate ?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've recently stopped buying body exfoliants. Now I use these  $5 gloves from the body shop.  They work great.

However, they are too rough for my face/neck/chest. It just occurred to me that maybe I should clean them. I wonder if they may get moldy in my shower...What's your fave way to exfoliate?

I really like the Cactus Body Brush from the Body Shop.  It's tough, but leave skin really smooth and I use just a regular body wash with it, not an exfoliating one.  Would not use on face.

i like to use shea terras black soap for my face and for my body I will use a sugar scrub

For my face, I like to dermaplane my before doing a 20% A.N.D. enzyme peel in the summer.  Depends on the time of year for me though.  Because I have dark skin and prone to hyperpigmentation, I only do chemical peels I know my skin can tolerate like certain Jesseners but mostly in the cooler months when I'm not spending so much time outside.

It's a full regimen for me.

At about once a month, I exfoliate my facial skin with chemical peel from Perfect Image.  I use their mild lactic acid peel.

Then to hasten peeling of the dead skin, I use loofa from Bath & Body with warm water and mild soap.

Maintenance for me is Positively Flawless Stem Cell serum in aloe to keep the underlying cell nourished and at the same time moisturizing it.

I am curious about the enzyme peels. Is the active ingredient AHA? BHA? And at what %? What brand do you guys use?

I have tried Neostrata Level 3 Lotion which is AHA at a level of at least 10%. I did  like it

Enzyme peels are derived from fruit like papaya and pineapple or sometimes beef by products.  They work by dissolving the keratin protein on the top layer of the skin.  Enzymes peels are safer than chemical peels with alpha and/or beta hydrox acids and can usually be tolerated by more skin types expect those with skin allergies.  A great treatment after Jet Clear/hydra facial, microderm or dermaplaning. 

The two professional brands would be Image Vital C Hydrating Enzyme Mask is great for at home use.  It has a nice warmth to it and can be left on the face for up to 30 minutes.  Pevonia has a Enzymo Spherides Peeling Cream loaded with papaya and pineapple enzymes.  There are many more out there on the market so make sure that you read the active ingredients to avoid any allergies.

I also really like the BioElements Pumice Peel.  It's like a manual microderm!

Perfect Image has a Pineapple Pumpkin Enzyme Peel in gel format.

This is recommended for those who cannot tolerate acid peel.

But you would have to be patient.  It will take a while and would need nightly application.

I love plain old sugar! I just add a bit to my regular cleanser and gently scrub. It works great and because it's mixed with the cleanser it isn't too harsh for my skin! 

Originally Posted by Chelsea Morgan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I love plain old sugar! I just add a bit to my regular cleanser and gently scrub. It works great and because it's mixed with the cleanser it isn't too harsh for my skin! 
I was using sugar without a cleanser and I got better results, honestly - though it was too harsh and added the cleanser for a smoother exfoliation.

Back