CVS Requiring ID for Polish Remover?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One pharmacy chain is making it harder for customers to buy one type of beauty product.  CVS says it will require people to show their ID to purchase nail polish remover.  Under a brand new company policy, you'll have to hand over your driver's license to buy it.  That's because acetone is a common ingredient used in the meth-making process, and CVS says it's doing its part to cut down on the use of meth across the country.  CVS says the new tracking system will let them flag suspicious purchases made by people who buy these common meth-making materials.  There is no age restriction.  Showing the ID simply allows the stores to track the purchases of items used to make meth.

Source here

I can see their reasoning however I doubt a meth maker is going to spend $3 on a tiny bottle of nail polish remover when they can go to a hardware store to buy acetone by the quart for around $4.50 or a gallon there for under $11. Have they really seen people go in and buy a case of nail polish remover?

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I can see their reasoning however I doubt a meth maker is going to spend $3 on a tiny bottle of nail polish remover when they can go to a hardware store to buy acetone by the quart for around $4.50 or a gallon there for under $11. Have they really seen people go in and buy a case of nail polish remover?
That's my thought process as well. It doesn't make sense.

I've heard Walmart put the same policy in place but no word if they rescinded.

I "won" a book called Methland as prize while pledging to an independent radio station. ANYWAY, I know from reading it (it's non-fiction btw) and watching Breaking Bad (lol sorry) that enterprising meth cooks and their buddies will rack up MILES on their cars going from drug store to drug store, buying small quantities from a lot of different places so as not to arouse suspicion.

So, yeah, I totally understand the reasoning behind it.

Btw, Methland is a very interesting read but has some VERY graphic descriptions of injuries incurred by meth cookers. So, only bother reading it if you have a strong stomach!

And everyone should watch breaking bad, I am sad we only have six more episodes before it's all over. Hope Saul Goodman gets a spin-off! Better Call Saul!

my friend told me about this! She called me up a few days ago and was in SHOCK and told me I'd never believe what she was just ID'd for.. She said the cashier almost forgot to ask for it too, that it's a very new policy. He also said "Never get sick and want to do your nails at the same time- you can't buy Sudafed and Nailpolish remover in the same day" WTF.

Latest posts

Back