Sign in to follow this  
invisiblebike

Birchbox September 2013

Just got an email this morning. It looks like Ruffian polishes won't be part of BB subscription. Just for their shop only? WHY?! 400

Just got an email this morning. It looks like Ruffian polishes won't be part of BB subscription. Just for their shop only? WHY?! 400
I m on mobile couldn't copy entire email but it said available at BB's shop.

The email says we'll receive a sample. (Second paragraph)

The email said that every subscriber *will* get one and that, hey, if you want to get them now, here's the shopping link.

Sadface.
Ohh I'm wrong we will get one in our sub box! Yay yayay Heres the message at bottom I mean literally bottom of an email in tiny prints!!! Even more exciting? All subscribers will receive a Ruffian sample in their September Birchboxes! But why wait till then? Be the first to get your hands on these exclusive shades.

Ohh I'm wrong we will get one in our sub box! Yay yayay Heres the message at bottom I mean literally bottom of an email in tiny prints!!! Even more exciting? All subscribers will receive a Ruffian sample in their September Birchboxes! But why wait till then? Be the first to get your hands on these exclusive shades.
Lol yeah I just got the email and went back to edit my post. Happyface!

Looks like the brights won!  The "Crowdsourced Collection" is Delirium, Fox Hunt, and Hedge Fund. 

From the BB site:  Inspired by the African violet, Delirium is a bright, saturated purple with an eye-catching metallic finish. Fox Hunt is a rich orange with a touch of shimmer—an updated alternative to the classic red. The money-hued Hedge Fund is a sophisticated olive foil with gold shimmer that catches the light just so.

Yeesh, $10 for 5mL? That's even more absurd than the other new one they introduced that was 5.5mL for $8. This is getting ridiculous. I don't think there's a lot of difference between say, 14mL and 15mL, but there's a huge difference between, say, 5mL and 15mL. That's 3x as many manicures. :

At that price, a full size (15mL) = $30! that's more expensive than the luxury brands. NOOOOO thank you

Originally Posted by magicalmom View Post

Looks like the brights won!  The "Crowdsourced Collection" is Delirium, Fox Hunt, and Hedge Fund. 

From the BB site:  Inspired by the African violet, Delirium is a bright, saturated purple with an eye-catching metallic finish. Fox Hunt is a rich orange with a touch of shimmer—an updated alternative to the classic red. The money-hued Hedge Fund is a sophisticated olive foil with gold shimmer that catches the light just so.

These are sooo pretty! I'm excited

Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post

Yeesh, $10 for 5mL? That's even more absurd than the other new one they introduced that was 5.5mL for $8. This is getting ridiculous. I don't think there's a lot of difference between say, 14mL and 15mL, but there's a huge difference between, say, 5mL and 15mL. That's 3x as many manicures. :

At that price, a full size (15mL) = $30! that's more expensive than the luxury brands. NOOOOO thank you

No kidding! I'll take one in my box, but not gonna buy them. Sheesh! 

Originally Posted by jesemiaud View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post

No kidding! I'll take one in my box, but not gonna buy them. Sheesh! 

I'm just hoping they are actually sending a 5 ml bottle to us, and haven't figured out some novel new way to send a one-time use manicure!  (haha, I can only imagine a foil packet of nail polish with a tiny brush stuck into it!  Oh, the horror!)

I'm just hoping they are actually sending a 5 ml bottle to us, and haven't figured out some novel new way to send a one-time use manicure!  (haha, I can only imagine a foil packet of nail polish with a tiny brush stuck into it!  Oh, the horror!)
Waaaay back in, hmm, 1984 or '85, Cutex had itty bitty sample vials, probably about 2ml. I vividly remember getting a super bright cherry red and painting my nails with it while listening to _Like a Virgin_, which had just come out a couple of months earlier. I haven't seen nail polish vials that small since, and I keep wondering when they will make a comeback.

I used to buy those teeny tiny "Bon Bons" nail polishes. I don't remember the exact size, but they were teeny. It would be nice if we all got full sized ones, but the email says "receive a sample" and not "receive one of these" so I bet it's small.

For a size comparison, the Ruffian nail polish is .17 fl oz, which is smaller than the tiny Sally Girl polishes at Sally Beauty. The Sally Girl is .18 fl oz. Oy. The "full size" option is tiny, so I can't to see how microscopic the sample is.

Originally Posted by meaganola View Post

Waaaay back in, hmm, 1984 or '85, Cutex had itty bitty sample vials, probably about 2ml. I vividly remember getting a super bright cherry red and painting my nails with it while listening to _Like a Virgin_, which had just come out a couple of months earlier. I haven't seen nail polish vials that small since, and I keep wondering when they will make a comeback.

I love how you have such a vivid memory of that day. Haha!

For a size comparison, the Ruffian nail polish is .17 fl oz, which is smaller than the tiny Sally Girl polishes at Sally Beauty. The Sally Girl is .18 fl oz. Oy. The "full size" option is tiny, so I can't to see how microscopic the sample is.
Maybe in a little disposable dropper. Enough for half a finger. LOL I'd love to read the responses on FB if they did that.

XD; well, let's not get too hasty. So 1/8fl oz = 3.75mL or the size of a S!OPI mini, if you've ever gotten those. Those are good for between 3-5 manicures, depending on how you want the layers. So not great, but not bad.

I got these estimates based on Julep's bottle actually (you can see the drop so easily) but 8mL ~= 11 manis. So 15mL ~= 20-25 manis. 5mL would be about... 5-7 maybe. So you'd get a few, but it's also still $10. : Why wouldn't you get something else.

That being said, I want both Delirium and Hedgefund. I will trade people for it next month XD

XD; well, let's not get too hasty. So 1/8fl oz = 3.75mL or the size of a S!OPI mini, if you've ever gotten those. Those are good for between 3-5 manicures, depending on how you want the layers. So not great, but not bad. I got these estimates based on Julep's bottle actually (you can see the drop so easily) but 8mL ~= 11 manis. So 15mL ~= 20-25 manis. 5mL would be about... 5-7 maybe. So you'd get a few, but it's also still $10. : Why wouldn't you get something else. That being said, I want both Delirium and Hedgefund. I will trade people for it next month XD
I want the fox hunt and don't like the hedgefund so I will definitely trade with you l

well the instagram video definitely said expect to get one of these in your boxes so it's safe to assume they will be full size, i think

I like Hedge Fund, but I am not tempted to buy any of the others.  I'll see what I get in my box and whether I like the formula before I consider buying that one.  I'm okay with the smaller bottle because I have never in my life gone through an entire bottle of polish (not including base/top coats), not even a smaller bottle like the Color Club or Zoya minis.

OK slightly off topic, but still a Birchbox thing...

I am throwing away this stupid Benta Berry Moisturizer!  I tried to love it, and it smells SO GOOD, but it is balling up into little weird bits all over my face.  I've worn it a few times (thinking maybe it would work better depending on the time of day I applied it) but I refuse to attend my kids' Back To School Night tonight looking like my face is trying to escape off my head!  

*stomps off to wash face and throw away the offending tube of moisturizer*

/endrant  soap.gif

OK slightly off topic, but still a Birchbox thing... I am throwing away this stupid Benta Berry Moisturizer!  I tried to love it, and it smells SO GOOD, but it is balling up into little weird bits all over my face.  I've worn it a few times (thinking maybe it would work better depending on the time of day I applied it) but I refuse to attend my kids' Back To School Night tonight looking like my face is trying to escape off my head!   *stomps off to wash face and throw away the offending tube of moisturizer* /endrant  soap.gif
I already got rid of mine. It's not enough moisture to wear to bed, and I think maybe it only works if you wear it alone? It even balled up when I wore it under just sunscreen :|

OK slightly off topic, but still a Birchbox thing... I am throwing away this stupid Benta Berry Moisturizer!  I tried to love it, and it smells SO GOOD, but it is balling up into little weird bits all over my face.  I've worn it a few times (thinking maybe it would work better depending on the time of day I applied it) but I refuse to attend my kids' Back To School Night tonight looking like my face is trying to escape off my head!   *stomps off to wash face and throw away the offending tube of moisturizer* /endrant  soap.gif
This keeps happening when I use the DDF. I keep thinking it's from the cotton balls I use for toner, but it's never happened before using the DDF though.