Epiduo?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone used this for acne? I been using it for a few weeks and all it has done is create more cystic acne in my jawline area. I already had a lot of cystic pimples but now not only do i have that, i have 30-40 more pimples in that area and its very red. I read that lot of people have an initial breakout but is it really this bad? My jawline has went from severe to very severe now.

Never used Epiduo but I have used Atralin (also a retinoid) which gave me the SAME reaction. My new dermatologist put me on an oral antibiotic for acne as well as the topical products over a year ago....I was only on the oral stuff for two months and now I use the topical products sparingly and I have crystal clear skin. Not sure if the oral antibiotics helped to curb the reaction of the topical stuff, but whatever it was, I'm not complaining!

So should i stop using it?  I don't see how it is going to make my skin better.  I mean i understand purging but is this purging?

I would talk to your doctor. My acne didn't clear up until I tried the oral product with the topical product, but everyone is different. I don't know what would work or not work for you. I would make a followup visit with your doctor (don't wear makeup so they can see the full extent of the problem and tell them its an emergency and you need an appt right away....they should be accommodating to this) and explain that you think its gotten worse. I feel your pain - its awful! But my skin is SO much better now....you will get past this and your doctor should be able to help.

You know what? Every time a product causes a reaction they resort to the word 'purging'. That really makes no sense to me...how is it that your skin really contained all that gunk? And it is taking so long to 'purge'?

Considering what jmd252 says, her doctor put her on anti-biotics for the same thing. That doesn't sound like purging, sounds like infection to me...

I use the epiduo for my breakouts and I didn't have a reaction like that. My skin got better, definitely not worse. Any kind of reaction like that always scares me. :-/

You know what? Every time a product causes a reaction they resort to the word 'purging'. That really makes no sense to me...how is it that your skin really contained all that gunk? And it is taking so long to 'purge'? Considering what jmd252 says, her doctor put her on anti-biotics for the same thing. That doesn't sound like purging, sounds like infection to me...
The way my doctor explained it, the retinoid products bring a lot of issues from underneath the skin to the surface and she put me on a preventative antibiotic (its specifically for acne, not a typical antibiotic) to help with the flare ups. Eventually the gels worked on their own and now my skin is amazing. I think sometimes the flare ups happen (and some doctors do call it purging) but no one should have to live with that since it can be painful so most doctors will sit down if you are really unhappy and come up with an alternate "plan of attack"...at least that's been my experience with two different doctors. It may work in the long term - but I personally wouldn't want to just wait it out because it made me so upset to look at (and deal with since it hurt). Hope I did my Dr.s explanation some justice. That's just my understanding. I have no medical training, though!

Back