I have decided to get my ears piered.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tomorrow is Saturday and I decided to go after work and get my ears pierced. There is the Piercing Pagoda in the mall.. or should I wait and go to a doctor?  What earrings should I start with?

Originally Posted by BoySarah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Tomorrow is Saturday and I decided to go after work and get my ears pierced. There is the Piercing Pagoda in the mall.. or should I wait and go to a doctor?  What earrings should I start with?
You should wait and go to a doctor.

I don't know if I'll be helpful since I had my ears pierced when I was 2, but wherever you go, make sure that hygiene is up to the standard - that everything is disinfected and that whoever pierces your ears uses sterile needle.

As for the earrings, for the first month I had to use medical earrings and later I used gold.

If possible, I'd suggest finding several piercing salons or doctors and ask what you want to know - they should explain everything.

I highly recommend a nice. clean piercing/tattoo shop. I know, I know- it might sound weird or scary- but a good piercer (and ear piercings are so easy) will use the appropriate needle, appropriate sterilization and give you all the aftercare instructions you need. I HATE piercing guns...ugh. That's what places like Claire's (or comparable pagodas) will use.
Guns aren't the absolute worst for lobe piercings - but if you are even considering a cartilage piercing - do NOT let a piercing gun touch you.  

-From your friendly piercer friend on le internet =p

I highly recommend a nice. clean piercing/tattoo shop. I know, I know- it might sound weird or scary- but a good piercer (and ear piercings are so easy) will use the appropriate needle, appropriate sterilization and give you all the aftercare instructions you need. I HATE piercing guns...ugh. That's what places like Claire's (or comparable pagodas) will use. Guns aren't the absolute worst for lobe piercings - but if you are even considering a cartilage piercing - do NOT let a piercing gun touch you.   -From your friendly piercer friend on le internet =p
Made this terrible mistake on a whim at Clarie's once, a year later it still leaks pus and has an odd 'bubble' knot on the back of it. I would avoid all places at the mall with piercings, I have had terrible experiences all three times with the piercings perhaps two were the to user error but they don't explain stuff very well just here sign the paperwork use our cleaner and go on your happy way. I've learned the cleaners they offer are the worst things, salt water cleanses! I'd suggest a doctor or a highly reputable tattoo/piercing shop.

Oh you poor thing :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm sorry that you're dealing with that. It definitely sucks.

And that is exactly why I warned against the gun. I wish they would just not let those idiots do cartilage piercings there... seriously. Most people don't know any better and they trust who they think is a "professional" to not lead them astray. *sigh* (And I'm sorry to anyone who does these gun piercings who is NOT an idiot and wouldn't gun a cartilage...you don't apply. Thanks for not ruining people's ears)

I just want everyone to have fabulous piercings that don't cause them turmoil! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Joining in on the 'go to a professional piercer!' bandwagon.  Your piercings will hurt less and heal faster if a professional with a sterile needle pierces you vs some gnarly blunt force trauma a gun inflicts.  The studs they use aren't very sharp and have a *huge* taper.  It's really rough on your poor ears.

DO NOT GO TO A DOCTOR OR CLAIRES/PP. Always go to a tattoo shop and visit your local piercer (such as myself!)

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I've never heard of a doctor that pierces ears.

I think it depends on your area. In the Caribbean, newborn girls have generally been pierced before they leave the hospital. 

It's not very common, but when I worked as a financial analyst for a network of medical clinics in central Washington, I'd occassionally see charges for ear piercing come through on the productivity reports.

Quote: Originally Posted by hiheather /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Made this terrible mistake on a whim at Clarie's once, a year later it still leaks pus and has an odd 'bubble' knot on the back of it.

I would avoid all places at the mall with piercings, I have had terrible experiences all three times with the piercings perhaps two were the to user error but they don't explain stuff very well just here sign the paperwork use our cleaner and go on your happy way. I've learned the cleaners they offer are the worst things, salt water cleanses! I'd suggest a doctor or a highly reputable tattoo/piercing shop.
I'm not surprised by that reaction to a Claire's piercing job, but I'm sorry you have that trouble.  I used to be a manager at Claire's (I lasted 3 months, they are such a circus it wasn't worth it!), the training for Claire's to be an ear piercer... you did it to a dummy head 6 times evenly, you can be a piercer!  No age requirement, no certification, no safety guideline quizzes even.  I was disgusted and refused to do it.

Having said that, lol, that is where I got my first ear piercing done at age 6.  They got infected bad, but the holes stayed.  I got a second lobe piercing when I was a teenager, again at Claire's, and those holes refused to stay once the trainer earrings were out, the back side closes up constantly, so I gave up.  They were also just slightly crooked enough that I could tell, which was annoying.

Quote: Originally Posted by feemia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's not very common, but when I worked as a financial analyst for a network of medical clinics in central Washington, I'd occassionally see charges for ear piercing come through on the productivity reports.

So you're near me! It's weird, I've never seen any doctor around here do any type of piercing. Was it among pediatric doctors?

So you're near me! It's weird, I've never seen any doctor around here do any type of piercing. Was it among pediatric doctors?
Yeah, it was probably people bringing their kids in for a check-up and having the ear piercing done at the same time. For some reason it was only the clinic in Grandview that did them.

Well it's been a while and I did go to a tattoo place.  I had no issues and healed very nicely.  I am now enjoying all the earring options!!!  Thanks for all the info girls!  I love dangling styles!

Quote: Originally Posted by feemia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, it was probably people bringing their kids in for a check-up and having the ear piercing done at the same time. For some reason it was only the clinic in Grandview that did them.

Oh that explains it. Tri-Cities is about 40 minutes from Grandview and 45 minutes from Yakima so it would make sense for someone to get their baby's ear's pierced by a doctor than drive all the way over to one of those areas to get it done.

Back