September 2013 - No Buy/ Low Buy Support Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Figured it was time to start a new no buy/low buy support thread for September.  Considering many of us hawk the September threads for beauty box spoilers and flash sales, we could probably use extra support to avoid enablers!  :)

As a recap from August, my goals are - 

• No buy at Sephora until Sephora F&F sale/holiday shopping
  • Avoid temptation by shopping in my hoarder's sample collection first
  • Trade for anything new to try (I got a full Urban Decay palette and deluxe lippie that way :-D)
  • Maintain my beauty product inventory list via google docs
  • Cut one of the beauty box subscriptions (either Ipsy or Glossybox)

What are your goals for September?  Any close calls or talk-downs you'll need?

My allowed list:

• One Sephora order, but only if there's a really good points perk (I have a feeling there won't be one, so I doubt I'll place this order).
  • One Fortune Cookie Soap order based on the scents in the Autumn box, to be placed in three weeks (two paydays from now), but no more than one of each type of item (so one shower gel, one jelly, one sugar scrub, etc.).
  • Small Starlooks order I've been planning to place for a few months but have been holding off on placing until I got a discount code, and now I have one:  Infinity in Immortal and Tendergloss in Beaux.
  • essence trend edition stuff (limit: $20).
  • Glamour Doll Eyes 6-month subscription, if I can get my paws on it!
  • GDE limited edition stuff, if it happens to be released (fingers crossed for Halloween stuff!).
  • Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab:  This one is hard.  Right now, I'll say a limit of twenty decants from the Halloweenie collection, although that may shift upwards depending on what ends up being released.  I need to dig through my collection and find my Weenie stash to compare what I have to whatever ends up being released (but if there are red musk or champaca single-notes, I do hereby grant myself permission to order full bottles of both!).

Banned list:

• Hair stuff unless it comes directly to me in one of my own subscription boxes.  No swapping for it, and no using Birchbox points for it.
  • Bath & Body Works stuff.  Period.  Not even a Halloween Wallflower refill or lipgloss.
  • Eyeliner (waiting for the holiday sets!)
  • Bath products aside from the one allowed FCS order.  I still haven't started using any of the _Once Upon a Time_ stuff I ordered, although that's because I have been using the stuff I ordered from the summer collection, so I *have* been working through this stuff (and I'm almost done with the Mango or Salsa jelly!)
  • GDE permanent collection stuff!  I'm crossing my fingers for a Halloween collection to hurl my money at instead.  I need to work through my sample jars and decide what to upgrade to full-sized jars anyway (and I'm far from running out of even the samples I already know I love).
  • Eye primer.  I keep putting this on my to-buy list, but I have a bunch of assorted samples from various sources, and I've been working on them for a few months, so I can definitely get through another month with what I have.
  • Mascara.  I don't think I've bought any in over twenty-five years, and I have something like nine unopened tubes thanks to subs/GWPs/etc., so I'm not really at any risk of buying this, but I'll put it on here anyway.

I think that's a good start.  This plan may be refined as the week progresses.  I still have six days to carve my September rules in stone!

Woohoo! Glad this got started. I am also continuing my low-buy into August. On the allowed list: - one mascara because I have 100% run out - one daytime moisturizer because I have 100% run out - one or two e.l.f. brow sets because I'm running dangerously low - one or two things in the Black Cherry Merlot scent from BBW (wanted it last year and never bought it) That is it! My money needs to go to my car for the next two months.

I'm thinking of biting the bullet and signing myself up for a September no-buy. I've been attempting low-buys for some time now with more or less success each month. I don't really need anything and end-of-the-year sales are approaching anyway. 

So my rules are 

• If I run out of something I'm allowed to purchase a replacement if I don't have a back-up, a dupe or a close enough product that needs to be used up. Buying replacements should be a last resort and I'm going to shop my stash first.
  • Absolutely no lip products (gloss, lipstick or liners) and no eyeshadow under any circumstances

The no eyeshadow part is going to be difficult because Geek Chic Cosmetics is releasing a Harry Potter themed collection. I'll have to keep reminding myself that I want to wait for sales. 

I'm not sure if this is derailing the thread but I also want to set the following use-it-up goals for myself:

• Use up 2 mineral eyeshadow samples
  • Use up 1 lipgloss
  • Use up 3 skin/hair/bodycare items 
  • Finish or get close to finishing Chanel's Rouge Coco Shine in Boy 

Good luck, everyone! Stay strong! Does anyone else have use-it-up goals for September?

My low-buy in July and August was leading up to my birthday month so... this month, I allow one Sephora purchase under a budgeted amount, and one trip to Lush for bath products only (ie. bubble bars, etc., since I have too many shower soaps/gels/lotions already). Also, Birchbox sub and then Julep's October box if I find it worthy 
yahootongue.gif

Oh man, that barely even sounds like a low-buy. Hope you guys don't eject me from the thread, hahah!

Originally Posted by casualconcern /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My low-buy in July and August was leading up to my birthday month so... this month, I allow one Sephora purchase under a budgeted amount, and one trip to Lush for bath products only (ie. bubble bars, etc., since I have too many shower soaps/gels/lotions already). Also, Birchbox sub and then Julep's October box if I find it worthy 
yahootongue.gif

Oh man, that barely even sounds like a low-buy. Hope you guys don't eject me from the thread, hahah!
People are different and low-buys are about buying less than you normally would, so as long as it's working out for you, good for you. Although to be honest a lot of people do low-buys that don't quite sound like a low-buy to me but hey, whatever floats your boat. I don't know how much said people would be buying if they weren't on a low-buy.

Having said that, if you're worried your low-buy isn't "strict" enough, perhaps consider dropping the Birchbox sub, skipping the Julep box and using shower gel as a bubble bath? I know it's not the same thing as Lush's bubble bars but it'd help you use up stuff. Just a thought.

Sept is the month after my birthday, so I definitely need to pull the reins back after indulging myself last month.  My rules for the month are:

-NO falling for the temptation of the Ipsy discount codes. 

-In fact, NO online orders at all! - Sephora, Ulta, Birchbox, etc.  I'm hoarding my points, so BB shouldn't be too hard.

-I'm allowed 3 swaps this month (because it still costs $ to mail things!) from my subs:  Ipsy, BB (x2, only for the Sept Ruffian Polish, then I'm cancelling!), Goodies (free this month, then cancelling), and Bondi.  I was strong enough to cancel Starlooks for now, but I still should be getting my Birthday Box soon.

-I can only purchase items as replacements, but since my stash is so well built up, I really don't think I'll need anything.  Possibly some bubble bath for my kids.

Impulse Purchases:  I am so bad at wandering down the beauty aisle while grocery shopping.  So, I can purchase 3 beauty items this month, not totalling more than $10.  This includes nail polishes (I don't have many fall shades), hair accessories (i.e. pretty combs or hair ties), or nail tools, but NOT makeup or skincare.  

I'll probably have to come back and edit/update these goals, but I do need to start saving for the holiday purchases!  I already know I'll be picking up things like the Sephora It Kits and other awesome GWP's during Nov/Dec, so I'm trying to save up for those early on!

Good luck, ladies!

People are different and low-buys are about buying less than you normally would, so as long as it's working out for you, good for you. Although to be honest a lot of people do low-buys that don't quite sound like a low-buy to me but hey, whatever floats your boat. I don't know how much said people would be buying if they weren't on a low-buy.
The scary thing is that, yeah, I would be buying about four times as much as my allowed list if I didn't put some restrictions on it. That list isn't even what I normally get in one *week*. I've deliberately been buying lots of stuff this past year to build up my collection from pretty much nothing, and I'm trying to ramp back down so I don't buy this much stuff next year. I want a new laptop and a Dyson!

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The scary thing is that, yeah, I would be buying about four times as much as my allowed list if I didn't put some restrictions on it. That list isn't even what I normally get in one *week*. I've deliberately been buying lots of stuff this past year to build up my collection from pretty much nothing, and I'm trying to ramp back down so I don't buy this much stuff next year. I want a new laptop and a Dyson!
That's interesting! I think the difference might lie in the use of the word "collection". Do you think that those who view their make up as a collection are more likely to buy more products in order to add to their collection, i.e. make it as exhaustive and "complete" as possible? Vice versa, people who don't collect make up might not feel the need to complete their collection and thus might end up buying less. Or does this sound far-fetched?

Originally Posted by mauu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not sure if this is derailing the thread but I also want to set the following use-it-up goals for myself:

• Use up 2 mineral eyeshadow samples
  • Use up 1 lipgloss
  • Use up 3 skin/hair/bodycare items 
  • Finish or get close to finishing Chanel's Rouge Coco Shine in Boy 

Good luck, everyone! Stay strong! Does anyone else have use-it-up goals for September?
I don't think you can do a successful no-buy/low-buy without using your products up, so kudos for giving yourself use-up goals!  

Last night, I found an old thread about what beauty item takes us the longest to use up.  Popular items include mascara, body lotion, and blush.  I have a hard time using up all of my products, hence the extreme 'I really can't buy anything until the end of this year".  Even the deluxe sized samples takes me forever to get through.  I think my use-up goals I posted a few months back was to use up 2 of my Lancome eyeshadow palettes before buying any new palettes.  If I were to do it this month, it would be - 

• Lancome face cleanser (ugh, I've had this for a couple of years - definitely needs to  be used up soon)
  • Ole Henrikson face serum (I have an opened serum bottle from REN I want to rotate)
  • Alba mineral sunscreen for face & body (3 bottles opened from last year)
  • 64oz target lotion that I have a quarter of the bottle left to go

I think it's going to be harder for me to go through things like lipstick, balm, or eyeliners at a fast enough rate without throwing things out.  But I will be happy to open a new chapter of products in my life if only I can get rid of those four items!  

Originally Posted by mauu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's interesting! I think the difference might lie in the use of the word "collection". Do you think that those who view their make up as a collection are more likely to buy more products in order to add to their collection, i.e. make it as exhaustive and "complete" as possible? Vice versa, people who don't collect make up might not feel the need to complete their collection and thus might end up buying less. Or does this sound far-fetched?

I don't buy a lot of products because I want makeup collection, but I do want to find my HG blush, eyeshadows, primers, lipstick, and skin care products.  I tend to buy (especially skin care) in order to try new brands and new regimes.  I don't end up getting through my old stash, so I feel guilty and keep it around instead of tossing it out.  Hence why I now have 9 face cleansers.  It took me trying 5 BB creams to find my go-to BB Cream.  

I'm sure there are many people who view their makeup as a collection, and will buy products to add to their collection.  But I feel like I buy a lot of products because I'm trying things out, seeing what works for me (especially if I can try their product through a samples or sales).  The only 'collection' I have is my nail polish.  I have 40 polishes and I adore each and every bottle like it's a baby kitten. LOL  

Okay I'm giving this another try because after August, I really need some serious self control people!

Banned for me is Hautelook. I placed my first order in August (that darn spring bag) and then followed with two more orders. This has got to stop.

Banned is Birchbox. I need to hoard my points anyway.

Banned is Sephora. Both online and in store.

No Ipsy code related purchases.

No additional subscriptions unless I unsubscribe from something. Currently I have Ipsy x 1 and BB x 1.

Replacement purchases only if I don't have something else that I can use instead.

For this month -- my goal is a super-low buy. My mister and I have decided that as part of our Christmas gift to each other he will get a "Man Kit", and I will get a "Beauty Basket" -- so I've been writing down a looonnnnnggggg list of things I would love to have/try. That has helped me curb some of my purchases. Sadly, it gives me anxiety, too. "What if he purchases from Sephora and misses an awesome GWP?! What if he forgets to use my VIB number?! Ohhhhhhhhhhh lorrrrddddd!!)

I tend to get "suckered" by the super awesome deals! (i.e. the Birchbox Gloss Moderne Shampoo). I didn't need that. But I just "had to have it" because it "was a good deal"!

My biggest goal for the entire month of September is NO ONLINE PURCHASES. No Ulta. No Sephora. No Ipsy Codes. No Nothing.

For me, the biggest help in "dwindling down" my rampant purchases of beauty products is focusing on "the big picture". For me, $100 worth of beauty products puts me $100 further away from my new bedroom suite. Dear Lord, Baby Jesus... help me.

Originally Posted by tnorth1852 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For this month -- my goal is a super-low buy. My mister and I have decided that as part of our Christmas gift to each other he will get a "Man Kit", and I will get a "Beauty Basket" -- so I've been writing down a looonnnnnggggg list of things I would love to have/try. That has helped me curb some of my purchases. Sadly, it gives me anxiety, too. "What if he purchases from Sephora and misses an awesome GWP?! What if he forgets to use my VIB number?! Ohhhhhhhhhhh lorrrrddddd!!)

I tend to get "suckered" by the super awesome deals! (i.e. the Birchbox Gloss Moderne Shampoo). I didn't need that. But I just "had to have it" because it "was a good deal"!

My biggest goal for the entire month of September is NO ONLINE PURCHASES. No Ulta. No Sephora. No Ipsy Codes. No Nothing.

For me, the biggest help in "dwindling down" my rampant purchases of beauty products is focusing on "the big picture". For me, $100 worth of beauty products puts me $100 further away from my new bedroom suite. Dear Lord, Baby Jesus... help me.
I too get sucked in on those "good deals" and have to have them. Sometimes I stop myself and sometimes I just do it before I think almost! The phrase, but it is such a good deal seems to forgive anything. I need to remove that phrase from my vocabulary.

Quote:Originally Posted by ButterflyGrl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I too get sucked in on those "good deals" and have to have them. Sometimes I stop myself and sometimes I just do it before I think almost! The phrase, but it is such a good deal seems to forgive anything. I need to remove that phrase from my vocabulary.

It's a good deal or It was on sale tend to be the two most frequently used sentences for me. The mister says that I am so good at "justifying" buying beauty products that I could probably justifiy stealing a sandwich from a starving kid. I don't know if this should make me laugh or cry! :|

I've found myself moving alot of emails into the junk folder so I don't have to see "Free GWP" or the like in my email every day. Just a suggestion that may help someone else! It's hard to be "tempted" if you don't know the temptation is available!

It's a good deal or It was on sale tend to be the two most frequently used sentences for me. The mister says that I am so good at "justifying" buying beauty products that I could probably justifiy stealing a sandwich from a starving kid. I don't know if this should make me laugh or cry! :|
I've found myself moving alot of emails into the junk folder so I don't have to see "Free GWP" or the like in my email every day. Just a suggestion that may help someone else! It's hard to be "tempted" if you don't know the temptation is available!
I just did that. I use a gmail account for couponing or shopping online and I just went in and deleted a bunch so that I wouldn't be tempted by looking at them. Those GWP or discount codes really tempt me. Yes, it was on sale is another phrase I need to erase. I can justify just about anything given a little time too.

Quote:Originally Posted by ButterflyGrl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just did that. I use a gmail account for couponing or shopping online and I just went in and deleted a bunch so that I wouldn't be tempted by looking at them. Those GWP or discount codes really tempt me. Yes, it was on sale is another phrase I need to erase. I can justify just about anything given a little time too.

Good Luck with your low buy/no buy! If you need someone to stop you from impulse purchasing -- I'm a message away! haha!

Good Luck with your low buy/no buy! If you need someone to stop you from impulse purchasing -- I'm a message away! haha!
Right back atcha! Maybe if we help each other we will have a successful no/low buy month!

My husband always wants electronics, science, etc stuff for xmas/bday that I have no clue about so instead of me trying to order it I have him log into his account of whatever site he wants the item from and fill out everything but the payment info. Then, he says "it's ready honey" and saunters away from the computer so I can do my part. After having to return two incorrectly ordered items we find that this system works best for us :) 

Latest posts

Back