Sign in to follow this  
jrenee

September 2013 - No Buy/ Low Buy Support Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaganola View Post

Another related approach: Sort your makeup out into seasons. Put everything away except for your current month. Then sort that stuff out into what you will use *right now*. Put the rest aside as well. Now whenever you want to buy stuff, pull out your current-season-but-set-aside box and "shop" from your collection instead of a store.

Also: Make a list of allowed items you can get when this urge hits you. It's kind of like when you're on a diet but build treats into your plan so you don't go on a junk food bender and just make things worse. I just picked up the UD Black Market set, for example, but that was on my shopping list, so it feels like I broke my no-buy, but I really didn't. Essence trend edition stuff is always acceptable for me in part because that line is really inexpensive but also because the TE lines tend to be small. Even if I get one of everything (which I never do), it's still going to be under thirty bucks.

ETA: I think suppressing the urge is bad because it just festers. You just have to look at it as a pressure cooker and figure out how to let the steam out every once in a while so it doesn't explode and plaster the ceiling with green beans.

I love this idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaWarwick View Post

Since I went back to school and work full time I haven't bought anything and I am having a huge craving/hankering lol... itch to buy something.

A) How do I suppress it?

B) Is there anything worth it to get right now?

C) How quickly do the Sephora Favorites sets sell out?

D) I have naked 1 and 2, as well as Lorac Pro, do you think with those kits I have enough matte shades?

Help.

I know it's tough to suppress the urge, but think about any non-beauty related item you want to buy and set the money that you would spend on cosmetics aside. IMO, if you have the naked 1 & 2 and the Lorac Pro, you have enough matte shades.

Done good for the past 2 days, but that's probably because my husband went shopping with me, and he's good about reminding about how much makeup I already have. Plus, I know that he will buy me makeup for the holidays, so I'm set.

Just participated in a perfume swap, so have had lots of stuff to keep me busy, and haven't bought anything! Feeling good about September, bring on October.

Since it's just two days away from October, recap!

My allowed list:

• One Sephora order, but only if there's a really good points perk (I have a feeling there won't be one, so I doubt I'll place this order).
  • One Fortune Cookie Soap order based on the scents in the Autumn box, to be placed in three weeks (two paydays from now), but no more than one of each type of item (so one shower gel, one jelly, one sugar scrub, etc.).
  • Small Starlooks order I've been planning to place for a few months but have been holding off on placing until I got a discount code, and now I have one:  Infinity in Immortal and Tendergloss in Beaux.
  • essence trend edition stuff (limit: $20).
  • Glamour Doll Eyes 6-month subscription, if I can get my paws on it!
  • GDE limited edition stuff, if it happens to be released (fingers crossed for Halloween stuff!).
  • Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab:  This one is hard.  Right now, I'll say a limit of twenty decants from the Halloweenie collection, although that may shift upwards depending on what ends up being released.  I need to dig through my collection and find my Weenie stash to compare what I have to whatever ends up being released (but if there are red musk or champaca single-notes, I do hereby grant myself permission to order full bottles of both!).

Banned list:

• Hair stuff unless it comes directly to me in one of my own subscription boxes.  No swapping for it, and no using Birchbox points for it.
  • Bath & Body Works stuff.  Period.  Not even a Halloween Wallflower refill or lipgloss.
  • Eyeliner (waiting for the holiday sets!)

• Bath products aside from the one allowed FCS order.  I still haven't started using any of the _Once Upon a Time_ stuff I ordered, although that's because I have been using the stuff I ordered from the summer collection, so I *have* been working through this stuff (and I'm almost done with the Mango or Salsa jelly!)

• GDE permanent collection stuff!  I'm crossing my fingers for a Halloween collection to hurl my money at instead.  I need to work through my sample jars and decide what to upgrade to full-sized jars anyway (and I'm far from running out of even the samples I already know I love).

• Eye primer.  I keep putting this on my to-buy list, but I have a bunch of assorted samples from various sources, and I've been working on them for a few months, so I can definitely get through another month with what I have.

• Mascara.  I don't think I've bought any in over twenty-five years, and I have something like nine unopened tubes thanks to subs/GWPs/etc., so I'm not really at any risk of buying this, but I'll put it on here anyway.

​

No Sephora order since there was no good points perk, although I did buy a couple of things in-store (more on that later).  I never quite got around to testing the FCS stuff, so I never quite got around to placing an order, either, although they have a Halloween collection coming out later this week, so I'll just hold off until then.  I also didn't get around to the Starlooks order, there wasn't a new essence trend edition, I didn't get the GDE subscription, there were no GDE LE things, and I didn't order any BPAL.

But...  I did get eyeliner.  On the other hand, the waiting-for-holiday-sets thing?  I got a holiday set, which was going to be on my list for October.  And I also picked up an emergency shimmery brown liner to keep in my desk at work for nights I go to happy hour after work, which I don't think should count against me here since.  And I got the Sephora Give Me More Lip set.  I did *not* need more lipstick, but I really, *really* wanted it, and there were several things that I would have bought, and there are several other things in there that kind of fill in gaps in my lipstick wardrobe, so I think it was a good decision.

(Sadly, I did not save any money because I went to a comic con last weekend and overshopped.  On the up side, I now have a copy of the first volume of _Grendel_ signed by Matt Wagner and _The Legend of Bold Riley_ signed by Leia Weathington!  On the down side, I now also want to go on shopping sprees at comic cons and buy books directly from the authors and artists so I can have signed copies!  I'm going to need a bigger shelf.)

September was such a good month for me. Because of this thread I realized that I spend way too much money on make up. In the beginning of this month i went through all of my make up and it almost made me sick. I have come to the realization that I almost have 20 high end foundations, 50 lipsticks etc. I need to use up products before I buy new ones. So I did a no buy this month and it went really wel. The first week was hard but after a few more weeks I don't even have the need to buy something anymore. I'm so happy I did it and I will definetely continuing this no buy in October. I almost saved 300€ this month because of not buying make up which is about 400 dollars. I hope everyone is gonna do well in October! (Sorry for my bad English, I'm from holland)

This was my goal for sept "I cannot buy anything beauty/makeup related until the Sephora sale in Nov. ( I dont NEED anything!!) I can keep my existing subs ( Birchbox, Eco Emi and Sample Society but need to drop one by Dec. ( I cant decide yet). I must continue to focus on getting through my ridiculous huge stash.. I can only acquire through trades ( but will also keep this to a minimum as I mentioned I dont NEED anything. Need to determine holy grail items and stick with them only...I need to always stop searching for something better.. # Overall I did pretty well I did buy one item (Prada candy perfume) but I bought it in the airport so it was 20% cheaper plus no tax. This is still a Huge improvement for me as I was spending hundreds a month . I used up a bunch of items this month ( full size and samples) and did not participate in any trades . I am keeping my same rules for oct however am aiming for 0 makeup/product purchases this month. Good luck everyone !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicalmom View Post

Sept is the month after my birthday, so I definitely need to pull the reins back after indulging myself last month.  My rules for the month are:

-NO falling for the temptation of the Ipsy discount codes. 

-In fact, NO online orders at all! - Sephora, Ulta, Birchbox, etc.  I'm hoarding my points, so BB shouldn't be too hard.

-I'm allowed 3 swaps this month (because it still costs $ to mail things!) from my subs:  Ipsy, BB (x2, only for the Sept Ruffian Polish, then I'm cancelling!), Goodies (free this month, then cancelling), and Bondi.  I was strong enough to cancel Starlooks for now, but I still should be getting my Birthday Box soon.

-I can only purchase items as replacements, but since my stash is so well built up, I really don't think I'll need anything.  Possibly some bubble bath for my kids.

Impulse Purchases:  I am so bad at wandering down the beauty aisle while grocery shopping.  So, I can purchase 3 beauty items this month, not totalling more than $10.  This includes nail polishes (I don't have many fall shades), hair accessories (i.e. pretty combs or hair ties), or nail tools, but NOT makeup or skincare.  

I'll probably have to come back and edit/update these goals, but I do need to start saving for the holiday purchases!  I already know I'll be picking up things like the Sephora It Kits and other awesome GWP's during Nov/Dec, so I'm trying to save up for those early on!

Good luck, ladies!

I think I did OK for my first low-buy!  I did slip up a few times, and realized that I just can't pass up an amazing deal!

Successes:

-Did not fall for the Ipsy codes!  The Butter London one was tempting, but I stayed strong!

-Did not resubscribe for Starlooks, and went through with cancelling Goodies AND my second Birchbox.

-Only did one swap, the circular one.  Got some great stuff!

Fails:

-I made two online orders at Sephora, but both of them were under $10 and had GREAT samples and an awesome GWP

-I slipped up at a Sally Beauty Supply 1/2 off Clearance sale and bought 14 polishes (WAY above the 3 I allowed!), but only spent $13

I'm updating my Oct Low-Buy rules for a dollar amount limit, not a specific # of items.  My main success this month was that I spent WAY less in Sept than I have in previous months!  That alone has kept my willpower up to do this again in October.  Best of luck, ladies!

Guest ButterflyGrl

I did well for the first time on a low/no buy. I bought no Ipsy code deals, although thr Butter London tempted me severely. I did make three Sephora orders though, but I started my Christmas shopping. I am not going to lie, I did cheat and add things for me in the cart, BUT when they arrived I boxed them back up and sent them the heck back! It was so hard, but I was committed. The Sephora part of my no/low buy was the hardest part for me and I realized through that how much I impulse order. I have decided that next month I will allow myself a certain amount of money I can spend on whatever I want and hopefully that will keep me in check. Overall I consider the month partially successful because I did cheat on those Christmas orders, but I am proud of myself for returning the items.

I had several slips this month :(  Mostly nail polish, and those damn Hempz treats lotions I keep finding at TJ Maxx.

I went through my bank account and put all my beauty buying into a category and ran a report, I spent over $400 on beauty crap from August 1 through date, not even counting the things I've put on my credit cards.  It's so stupid and pointless and wasteful!!

Soooooooooo I am no buying through the end of the year.  I'm also going to have to stay off of MUT unfortunately, because it totally feeds the addiction.  I'm going to pop in to the no-buy threads every now and then, because they are so supportive and positive and I'm gonna need it!

Good job to all of you!!!!

Guest ButterflyGrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightsgirl View Post

I had several slips this month :(  Mostly nail polish, and those damn Hempz treats lotions I keep finding at TJ Maxx.

I went through my bank account and put all my beauty buying into a category and ran a report, I spent over $400 on beauty crap from August 1 through date, not even counting the things I've put on my credit cards.  It's so stupid and pointless and wasteful!!

Soooooooooo I am no buying through the end of the year.  I'm also going to have to stay off of MUT unfortunately, because it totally feeds the addiction.  I'm going to pop in to the no-buy threads every now and then, because they are so supportive and positive and I'm gonna need it!

I've had the same thought myself. I might have to come to MUT less in order to stop enabling myself. I see all the things other people buy and it makes me want to get it too. Almost like an alcoholic hanging out at a bar I guess. I don't think I have a full blown shopping addiction, but I am well on my way and I want to nip it in the bud before it gets worse. It will be a good experiment to see if I do better in October by coming here less and the new spending limit I set for myself.

Quote:

Going through my bank account was the biggest eye opener for me, too! With christmas approaching, I'd rather give up my beauty products and help an angel tree kid have a good christmas. I'm in the same MuT boat -- I've stopped visiting so "frequently" and when I am here, it's mostly to check the no buy/low buy threads. I love MUT, but my wallet doesn't. My adult responsibilities outweigh my "beauty pleasures", so I'm doing what I have to do! I've definitely tried to stay way from the Ipsy and Sephora threads. a) I don't want to envy what I can't have this month because I cancelled and B) I need not hear about the discount codes!

Guest ButterflyGrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnorth1852 View Post

Quote:

I had several slips this month frown.gif  Mostly nail polish, and those damn Hempz treats lotions I keep finding at TJ Maxx.

Going through my bank account was the biggest eye opener for me, too! With christmas approaching, I'd rather give up my beauty products and help an angel tree kid have a good christmas.

I'm in the same MuT boat -- I've stopped visiting so "frequently" and when I am here, it's mostly to check the no buy/low buy threads. I love MUT, but my wallet doesn't. My adult responsibilities outweigh my "beauty pleasures", so I'm doing what I have to do! I've definitely tried to stay way from the Ipsy and Sephora threads. a) I don't want to envy what I can't have this month because I cancelled and B) I need not hear about the discount codes!

Agreed! That Sephora promo codes thread is a KILLER!

Going through my bank account was the biggest eye opener for me, too! With christmas approaching, I'd rather give up my beauty products and help an angel tree kid have a good christmas. I'm in the same MuT boat -- I've stopped visiting so "frequently" and when I am here, it's mostly to check the no buy/low buy threads. I love MUT, but my wallet doesn't. My adult responsibilities outweigh my "beauty pleasures", so I'm doing what I have to do! I've definitely tried to stay way from the Ipsy and Sephora threads. a) I don't want to envy what I can't have this month because I cancelled and B) I need not hear about the discount codes!
Sponsoring an Angel Tree child is an awesome idea! I think a lot of my discomfort with the amount of crap I have accumulated is the materialism involved. You've inspired me that anything on my trade list that isn't gone by 10/31 is going into goodie bags for the local women's shelter or just handed out as random acts of kindess!

I've had the same thought myself. I might have to come to MUT less in order to stop enabling myself. I see all the things other people buy and it makes me want to get it too. Almost like an alcoholic hanging out at a bar I guess. I don't think I have a full blown shopping addiction, but I am well on my way and I want to nip it in the bud before it gets worse. It will be a good experiment to see if I do better in October by coming here less and the new spending limit I set for myself.
It is totally the alcoholic in a bar lol! Even sometimes the confession/slip-up posts in the no-buy threads I'm like "oh good rationalization, I'll use that!" It's so funny because I'm so not a "monkey see monkey do" type, unless it comes to makeup!

Le sigh. I wrapped up the month with a new laptop. On the up side, I started thinking I needed one a year ago. Yesterday, it became clear that it was time. I have no tv or stereo, so no laptop = no music or movies, and that is a VERY BAD THING for me.

Well, I think I've done pretty well this month! I didn't go crazy spending-wise and stuck to my detailed list much better this month than the previous month where I wasn't as detailed with what I could/couldn't buy. I actually wound up not even getting a lot of the things on my "approved" list. I made a few small substitutions for things I wanted to trade off instead that we're similar in price. Overall, I'm pretty happy! Not going crazy with buying makeup let me allow myself to purchase things I actually needed. Yet, I didn't feel deprived because I allowed myself a few small things when I didn't get some others that were on my list.😊 I'm going to continue another low-buy next month.

Guest ButterflyGrl
Quote:

It is totally the alcoholic in a bar lol! Even sometimes the confession/slip-up posts in the no-buy threads I'm like "oh good rationalization, I'll use that!"

It's so funny because I'm so not a "monkey see monkey do" type, unless it comes to makeup!

Yes! I totally have a monkey see attitude with makeup. It is like ohhhhh sparkly or SQUIRREL! and MUST HAVE SQUIRREL!

Yes! I totally have a monkey see attitude with makeup. It is like ohhhhh sparkly or SQUIRREL! and MUST HAVE SQUIRREL!
Hahaha love it!!!! This accurately describes me as well lol. 😂