31 Day Nail Art Challenge

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone!  There has been some discussion on the nail polish you are wearing thread here https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/17506/nail-polish-youre-wearing-right-now about the upcoming 30/31 day challenges for nail art.  

For the 31 day challenge it's pretty straight forward. Every day for 31 consecutive days starting September 1st 2013 you will do a nail art design based on the theme for that day. 

There is also another,  less frantic paced challenge going on here 

https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/137554/30-manis-marathon-2013

Feel free to use the hash tags to show your fabulous designs on Instagram or post them here.  If you get stumped on what to do as well, lets use this forum for all things related and help keep each other motivated.  There are some talented people on this forum, I personally can NOT wait to see what you come up with.

Since I'm doing the 31dc2013, I guess I'll do them both seeing as how closely the daily themes match.  I haven't decided yet whether or not I'm a masochistic idiot for putting this kind of pressure on myself!

Originally Posted by DonnaD /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Since I'm doing the 31dc2013, I guess I'll do them both seeing as how closely the daily themes match.  I haven't decided yet whether or not I'm a masochistic idiot for putting this kid of pressure on myself!
I guess we will find out around day 16 or 17 lol.  To help me so I am not too overwhelmed, today I sat down with a notebook and wrote down vague ideas of what I wanted to do so.This way I am not sitting here on the night before completely caught off guard so that should help.  I know I will be out of town 4 of the days so I won't be able to do it in a real time/real life setting but that wont' stop me the weekend before from doing my nails many times in one day!

I watched about a million youtube videos for ideas.  I think I might have it figured out...yeah, until I try to do one that's beyond my interest or skill set.  I am not looking forward to water marbling.  Not only does that type of nail art not interest me, it's messy and takes a long time.

Quote: Originally Posted by Christa W /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I guess we will find out around day 16 or 17 lol.  To help me so I am not too overwhelmed today I sat down with a notebook and wrote down vague ideas of what I wanted to do so I am not sitting here on the night before completely caught off guard so that should help.  I know I will be out of town 4 of the days so I won't be able to do it in a real time/real life setting but that wont' stop me the weekend before from doing my nails many times in one day!

I watched about a million youtube videos for ideas.  I think I might have it figured out...yeah, until I try to do one that's beyond my interest or skill set.  I am not looking forward to water marbling.  Not only does that type of nail art not interest me, it's messy and takes a long time.
i understand that one! i have attempted( key word) water marbling twice.neither time worked out.i ended up covered in sticky polish residue with a blurry mass on my fingers and a HUGE mess to clean.so that will be a..ahem..."FUN" day of the challenge.lol

Originally Posted by lissa1307 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i understand that one! i have attempted( key word) water marbling twice.neither time worked out.i ended up covered in sticky polish residue with a blurry mass on my fingers and a HUGE mess to clean.so that will be a..ahem..."FUN" day of the challenge.lol

Ahahaha.  Day 20 is going to be so blank.  Or so amusing!  For some reason I can only do good water marble with neons.  (by good I mean not a disaster). My boyfriend recommends that every time I ask his opinion he says "what about that swirly bright colored one you did, can you do that again?"

I'll either be buying stock in 3M or Elmer's.  Of all of them, this is the only one I do not want to do.

Quote: Originally Posted by lissa1307 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hello ladies, glad to see you guys are all excited for the nail polish challenge!

Let me clarify a few things. The reason Cookie and I tweaked the original 31 day challenge, is so we could take our time and enjoy the manicures that we create for more than 24 hours, and not be in a rush every day to get the challenges completed. We also changed the hash tag a bit so that we and all our good nail friends could all be together in one place and see each others nail art. The challenges are exactly the same, we are just going to do them at a slower pace (every 3 or 4 days). If you want to do the every day challenge (one manicure per day) as well as follow along with us, just use both hash tags! No need to do all the challenges twice :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> That's all! I'm sorry if this was at all confusing to anyone!

It might be a better plan to split this thread in half, one for each challenge. So that those who are moving at a slower pace can follow along better on the Marathon thread, and those tho are doing the every day challenge can follow along there as well. The 'every day' challengers can also post their manicures in the slower thread along with the slower time frame.

I hope this makes sense! 
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I actually like yours better because I do tend to get attached to some of my manis and removing them everyday gives me sadpants and it's easier on the cuticles.  I'll still do them both because it's good practice and because NAIL POLISH!  YAY!

i will probably be somewhere in the middle,change some daily keep others a few days...my kids are already giving input for what i should do...my son came up with my movie theme and song theme.

so i will be subscribed to both threads and go where the polish takes me,lol

i will probably be somewhere in the middle,change some daily keep others a few days...my kids are already giving input for what i should do...my son came up with my movie theme and song theme. so i will be subscribed to both threads and go where the polish takes me,lol
Great plan!!

Challenge accepted! If the results are anything like what has been on the "nail polish you are wearing" thread lately this will be fantastic!

Christa, perhaps the title of this thread should be changed to '31 day nail art challenge'? Just a suggestion so that anyone who sees it will know exactly what it is for :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I can't wait to begin!

Who's ready???????  I know I am.  At least for the first few days.  Although I really don't want to take off the mani I have on right now.  /sigh.

Originally Posted by Christa W /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Who's ready???????  I know I am.  At least for the first few days.  Although I really don't want to take off the mani I have on right now.  /sigh.
same here...im so excited for tomorrow, but i like my nails right now....oh well...i'll do them again later...actually..if i add to them they will be a perfect base for one of the themes..ha ha!

Ohhhh, I'm excited about this! Plus it's a great excuse to play around with some nail wraps that have been on my wishlist forever. Thanks for putting this together! I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's beautiful manicures.

Boyfriend just came in my office and said "I don't know why this is a challenge for you.  You change your polish every day anyway."  Then he walks out. It made me laugh.

Day 1: Red Nails. I personally don't really care much for red nails  I only wear them when my boyfriend asks because that's the shade he likes on women.  Despite that fact I seem to be drawn to purchasing them having around 35 shades of it!  I am in love with the Leather Luxe collection by Sinful Colors and chose to use Get It On for my base color.  After putting it on I realized it has a bit of pink in it but I could only tell when I held it up to the other reds I have and even then it's difficult.  In the daylight I will have to go out and get some pics too and edit this post but I wanted to kick off the thread by posting tonight.  Over it I stamped China Glaze Ruby Pumps with Mash plate 48.  I have been dying to use both the plate and the polish and will be purchasing the full size in Ruby Pumps because right now I only have the mini I got for $.25.  I had another idea in mind that didn't pan out so this is my back up.  I like how it turned out.  It looks SO much better in person.  I hope tomorrow I can capture it. 

Ok here's what it looks like with no flash or artificial light except one florecent light.  It almost shifts in shade it's awesome. 

Here's with flash.

Very pretty!  I just took off a mani using that...you can or maybe already did see it on the npywt thread.  It stained something fierce.

Quote: Originally Posted by Christa W /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Day 1: Red Nails. I personally don't really care much for red nails  I only wear them when my boyfriend asks because that's the shade he likes on women.  Despite that fact I seem to be drawn to purchasing them having around 35 shades of it!  I am in love with the Leather Luxe collection by Sinful Colors and chose to use Get It On for my base color.  After putting it on I realized it has a bit of pink in it but I could only tell when I held it up to the other reds I have and even then it's difficult.  In the daylight I will have to go out and get some pics too and edit this post but I wanted to kick off the thread by posting tonight.  Over it I stamped China Glaze Ruby Pumps with Mash plate 48.  I have been dying to use both the plate and the polish and will be purchasing the full size in Ruby Pumps because right now I only have the mini I got for $.25.  I had another idea in mind that didn't pan out so this is my back up.  I like how it turned out.  It looks SO much better in person.  I hope tomorrow I can capture it. 

Ok here's what it looks like with no flash or artificial light except one florecent light.  It almost shifts in shade it's awesome. 

Here's with flash.

Here's my red.  I did it with a pin and some of my favs from the Minnie Couture collection.

Latest posts

Back