best cheap makeup brands

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
im looking for brands that are around $10 or less for the majority of the stuff...i know about wet wild, essence, nyx, jordanna and nyc

Have you tried ELF? Their products are all super cheap and their studio line is pretty good and $3. I will say that their products are hit or miss, but the majority of the studio line is pretty decent. I would just steer clear of the shadows and get those from Wet n' Wild or Nyx. Some of the shadows can be pretty good, but the majority are kinda awful. I've heard that the $1 ones that you can buy individually and put in the little palette to make your own quad are pretty good though.

I have tried maybe less than 5 things from elf...so I don't know much about their stuff

Have you looked into Etsy sellers or indie brands? Madison Street Beauty and Star Crushed Minerals both have great eyeshadows on Etsy and you can get small or sample sizes (in pots, not baggies) for a couple dollars. Shipping is only a couple dollars as well, so under $5 an item and less than that if you order multiple items.

Also, I like some items from ELF. Their blushes, the ones in the black rectangular compacts are nice. I have some mascara from them that I like a lot too. The eyelid primer, lip crayon glosses, and a few other items are nice as well. I was not impressed with their loose eyeshadows.

Seconding (thirding?) the ELF recommendation. I didn't love their tint moisturizers or eyeshadow compacts, but their build your own palettes with the 1$ shadow pans were nice. Also love their concealer, eye shadow primer, and lip glosses. Definitely give them a go: if nothing else, if you hate it you probably didn't spend over three dollars on it!

Honestly, you won't really find anything at Sephora, so don't go into to those snazzy black and white stores or you'll be tempted! I'm not a fan of NYC myself, but some people like them more than others. Maybelline and Covergirl have awesome mascara for less than $10. 

If you like mineral makeup at all, check out Meow Cosmetics. I've never tried their foundations but I've tried a lot of their eye and cheek products. Their blushes are especially freaking amazing. Their CS is great too. I've tried a few indie brands and this is my favorite.

I will fourth the ELF recommendation, especially their Mineral Eyeshadow Primer. Their stuff is hit and miss but the primer is really great. Fyrinnae and Glamour Doll Eyes are some of my favorite loose shadows. Good prices and they are super pigmented.

I have to agree with E.L.F. It's great and I love it! Also try Palladio and city colors. They are pretty impressive for inexpensive makeup. I buy mine off of bluescandal.com :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Catrice .... i loooove it , it's from the same company that makes essence , it's very cheap and high quality but you can only find it online , because it's not sold in USA 

I have to agree with E.L.F. It's great and I love it! Also try Palladio and city colors. They are pretty impressive for inexpensive makeup. I buy mine off of bluescandal.com :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Yep. Palladio is nice. I like their shadows, lip liners and eye liners. They have some ok mascaras too. But they're not my fave. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For that price range, I love ELF and Hard Candy. Kind of depends what you're looking for, though? I'm a drugstore fanatic when it comes to makeup!

Maybelline

L'Oreal Paris

Burt's Bees

Max Factor

Kleancolor

bh Cosmetics

China Glaze

Revlon

NYX

Hard Candy

Rimmel London

Milani

Coastal Scents

e.l.f.

Wet N' Wild

CoverGirl

Almay

Physician's Formula

N.Y.C.

Flower Beauty

...just to name a few.

you would have to order online, but I'm going to pipe in and say Sleek (their blushes!). Their products are fantastic. Same with Milani, and Loreal and Maybelline have been seriously stepping up their game. Ben Nye you can buy their single eyeshadows at $9/ea and you get a massive amount  (3.5g / shadow, as compared to a mac's e/s at 1.5g for $12) of very pigmented, good quality product. Inglot isn't "cheap" for some products, but their stand-out item being their eyeshadows are $6 a pop and beautiful, primer is $10, etc.

all of these except for the drugstore ones you have to order online, but they are well worth the cost of shipping. 

ELF and BH Cosmetics

I just got some stuff from both last month and even though they're a "cheaper" brand, they work well enough for me. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I picked up an angled defining brush from ELF at Target and a brow defining kit from BH Cosmetics online. They're both great. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I highly recommend ELF (though I also recommend looking up reviews on beauty blogs for swatches before you buy).

Essence is a total dream if you skip their mascaras. Their nail products, eyeshadows and especially their eyeliners are gorgeous and stay all day! You can find them at Ulta in the US or certain Shoppers DrugMarts in Canada.

I've heard Wet N Wild has great shadows.I really like their polishes.

I haven't tried NYX because it's hard to find in Canada but I really want to!

Brands to stay away from: Hard Candy (their products are disgustingly oily and glittery... I also got a mascara once and it made my lashes fall right out.) And NYC just doesn't last ...

Rimmel London also has nice lipsticks for cheap! It's easy to find sales at Walmart. Their lipsticks are very blendable, so I like to buy a couple (a nude, red, pink and purple) and then have lots of different looks!

And Bonnebell eyeliners are amazing, highly pigmented and beautiful colours. They do have to be sharpened lots though... the wood they use is very hard and it hurts if you scratch your eye with it when the pencil gets dull.

Sorry for mentioning brands you already knew about in my previous reply. ... By the way, is there Shoppers DrugMart in the USA?

i like revlon for their lip stuff, nyx for eyes, rimmel for their 60s nail color and garnier for hair to name a few.

for foundation or bb creams i tend to splurge a little and get them online. should be around $20 but so worth it! they last forever.

Back