Splitting nails - what the heck!?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi y'all,

Ex-chronic nail biter here. I'm relatively new to nail polish (starting wearing it regularly last fall). I was so proud of my long nails but now my nails are splitting! Why, why!? Is there any way to prevent this!?

I usually paint my nails about twice a week and use a base coat unless I'm using a Pixie Dust. I use Zoya's Remove+ nail polish remover almost exclusively. I try to moisturize my hands, but often forget. My hand soap has no harsh SLS. I wear gloves when I'm going about the house cleaning so what the heck?

Help. My nails are really short now but there's still visible splitting. 
scared.gif

To repair damage nails you need to use some tips like Soak nails in olive oil, Wear gloves for chores, Eat biotin-rich foods, Take a multivitamin daily, Avoid nail polish remover, etc. I am sure your nails will regain their growth.

What really saves me from splitting nails is castor oil. I love it as it nourishes, protects and make nails grow faster and stronger at the same time. I even blogged about it just to say how miraculous it has been to y nails. You can get a bottle at the local drugstore and start to apply each evening or at least for 2 evening a week when you do not have polish on. First result is fast growth, followed by other benefits. It's totally worth the try :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

My nails will split for two reasons, so these might be your issue too: 1. If I use nail clippers (filing in one direction--not sawing back and forth with the file--is better). 2. If my nail polish gets tip wear, the nail will split where the polish remains.

Back