what kind of wildlife do you have where you are?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Our area is pretty boring we just have a ton of rabbits, birds (mostly quail but the occaisionalroadrunner) and coyotes. We have had reports of bobcats as well but I have never seen one. As I type this we have a huge jack rabbit just hanging out in our back yard. In our old neighborhood in California we had skunks, possums, peacocks, owls, bats, raccoons, coyotes, ducks and squirrels.

I see squirrels ,robin birds, cardinals, eagles,chipmunks,deer,Sasquatch lol Jk on the last one:))

In Oregon we have squirrel, deer, elk, bear, Bald eagle, hawks, beaver, river otter, seal, sea lion, sea otter... I'm sure there is more... I still can't believe I've never have seen a whale!

I live in the Florida panhandle and have seen tons of deer, turkey, raccoons, and bears! It is crazy because we moved here from Montana and I never saw a bear.  The moment we get to the Air Force base here I saw several, lol.

I live in the DFW metroplex and we have a surprising amount of wildlife here in the city. I've seen coyotes outside of my job and on my way home from work; both times near major highways with tons of traffic. I feel bad for them in a way, this is their home too.

Anyway, we have a lot of wild birds here that are pretty cool to see. Our apartment is near some canals so we get to see a lot of migratory waterfowl and some songbirds. If you haven't seen thousands and thousands of cormorants or grackles or blackbirds gathering, I must tell you, it's quite a sight. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I live on Vancouver Island in BC, and we have deer in our backyard all the time. I see several every day when I go downtown. There has been a cougar spotted in the neighbourhood several times in the last few weeks. Just down the road at the beach there are several bald eagles living in the trees, as well as a ton of seagulls and pigeons. Much more exotic than the Ontario wildlife I'm used to.

Here we have squirrels, both black and brown. There's a lot of raccoons and deer and wild turkeys. So many rabbits and snakes. For birds, robins, cardinals, sparrows, grackles, and starlings are the most common, except for pigeons. Turkey buzzards are the most common birds of prey, but hawks and the occasional bald eagle, too. We're not far from the DeSoto Wildlife Refuge and right in the Missouri River, so ducks, geese, cranes, and every other kind of bird comes through here in the Spring and Fall. We're infested with seagulls then, too.

We have cougars, bobcats, coyotes, deer, raccoons, badgers, beavers, squirrels. Birds: all kinds - golden finch (saw my first one this year), tangar (saw my first one this year), woodpeckers, various types of owls (barn, great horned), blue herons, killdeer, pelicans, swans, wild turkey, grouse, chukars, quails, chickadees, hummingbirds, wrens (which I think we actually have in our trees), robins, ravens, crows, mockingbirds, sandpipers, cranes, hawks, eagles (including bald), swallows, partridges, pheasants, flying rats (aka pigeons), doves, ducks, geese (Canadian geese) and other types that I don't know the identities of. Let me think... rattlesnakes, bullfrogs, scorpions, skunks.... Oh! We have (or had thanks to Walmart destroying the land for their building)... pygmy rabbits (an endangered almost extinct rabbit). We also have cottontails (rabbits) and jackrabbits. Oh and this little mice that jump (like field mice). And bats... lots of bats. The hubby reminded me we also have foxes out here but we rarely see those.

Toronto is well known for its huge raccoon population, so no one really takes a second look when one crosses the street, or walks down a sidewalk. Do pigeons count? 'Cause we got lots of those... ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

We have cougars, bobcats, coyotes, deer, raccoons, badgers, beavers, squirrels. Birds: all kinds - golden finch (saw my first one this year), tangar (saw my first one this year), woodpeckers, various types of owls (barn, great horned), blue herons, killdeer, pelicans, swans, wild turkey, grouse, chukars, quails, chickadees, hummingbirds, wrens (which I think we actually have in our trees), robins, ravens, crows, mockingbirds, sandpipers, cranes, hawks, eagles (including bald), swallows, partridges, pheasants, flying rats (aka pigeons), doves, ducks, geese (Canadian geese) and other types that I don't know the identities of. Let me think... rattlesnakes, bullfrogs, scorpions, skunks.... Oh! We have (or had thanks to Walmart destroying the land for their building)... pygmy rabbits (an endangered almost extinct rabbit). We also have cottontails (rabbits) and jackrabbits. Oh and this little mice that jump (like field mice). And bats... lots of bats. The hubby reminded me we also have foxes out here but we rarely see those.
Sounds like you live in a national park, lol, I see you got those flying rats too...

During most of the year, in my yard I see deer, rabbits, owls, and plenty of birds. Recently there have been a few skunks 
eek.gif
 (that means that my dogs do NOT get to go outside at all!!)  and some raccoons. We saw a turkey a few weeks ago. If we go hiking, there's a chance that there could be more wildlife - bats, more birds, that sort of thing. A few years ago there was a big bear loose.

Quote: Originally Posted by vogueboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sounds like you live in a national park, lol, I see you got those flying rats too...
LOL Close. LOL

I live in Melbourne, so not much wildlife here, but 15km or so from where my parents life, there are wallabies and kangaroos jumping around at night :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Our neighbors have a knack for getting a pet and throwing it outside. So far we've had a cat, guinea pig, cockatoo, and more recently a squirrel roaming through the backyard. They tend to disappear a lot though, which is sad. Apart from that we have a lot of birds, mostly doves and seagulls, I've seen a few ground hogs too.

Quote: Originally Posted by Kolly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Our neighbors have a knack for getting a pet and throwing it outside. So far we've had a cat, guinea pig, cockatoo, and more recently a squirrel roaming through the backyard. They tend to disappear a lot though, which is sad. Apart from that we have a lot of birds, mostly doves and seagulls, I've seen a few ground hogs too.

That was how things were where we lived in California. We had two neighbors like that, one in the back who had a cat they left that wound up with a deep wound in his neck and animal control flat out refused to pick him up (they wanted me to trap him for them) until we contacted the city and then the people across the street with like 15 cats. I always felt so bad for stray animals that I would wind up feeding them so I'd have like 20+ animals eating at my house.

I in Dearborn Heights, which is part of Detroit (I think it takes about 20 minutes to get downtown), and since moving here a couple years ago I have seen in our yard:

- lots of different birds including sparrows, cardinals, little woodpeckers, robins, blue jays, a couple grackles, and doves

- black squirrels, which I had never seen before, plus the brown/grey squirrels

- a raccoon

- and tons of "outside" kitties which like to sit outside our living room window and torment our white cat who is certain that without his protection those birds and squirrels would bust right through the glass and carry me away

Apparently my husband once saw a wild turkey in the yard too :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have heard of people having deer as well and there are also tons of seagulls and pigeons, both of which I actually like. I am sure there are tons more, but those are specific ones I have seen myself.

Latest posts

Back