Favorite Matte Eyeshadows & Palettes?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just as the title states, what are your favorite matte (only, please!) eye-shadows and eye-shadow palettes?

Why?

Quote: Originally Posted by fleurissante /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I like Inglot - they are affordable and you can make your custom palette
I love inglot. Yes, they have beautiful shadows. I have a few, in fact I have a purple trio color shadow. One shadow 3 colors, that I've never opened because I don't have a palette to put it in.

What are some of your go to matte colors from Inglot?

Maybelline's earthly taupe has been my go to matte all over lid color since I was a teenager and always seems to be a staple in my eyeshadow collection.It's affordable and lasts a long time on my lids. I also love Mac's Kid as a crease color and have not been without that in my collection for a number of years as well I like that it's not too dark or too light, is nicely pigmented and goes on like a dream!

Quote: Originally Posted by Tanwundi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Maybelline's earthly taupe has been my go to matte all over lid color since I was a teenager and always seems to be a staple in my eyeshadow collection.It's affordable and lasts a long time on my lids. I also love Mac's Kid as a crease color and have not been without that in my collection for a number of years as well I like that it's not too dark or too light, is nicely pigmented and goes on like a dream!
Maybelline's earthly taupe is my all-time, most used eyeshadow. I use it everyday over UD primer. Sometimes alone, just to cover veins in my eyelids (perfect match for my skin tone) and almost always under other shadows because it seems to help everything blend nicely. I always keep a backup of this one. If they ever discontinue it I will be so sad. 

Quote: Originally Posted by kat46 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Maybelline's earthly taupe is my all-time, most used eyeshadow. I use it everyday over UD primer. Sometimes alone, just to cover veins in my eyelids (perfect match for my skin tone) and almost always under other shadows because it seems to help everything blend nicely. I always keep a backup of this one. If they ever discontinue it I will be so sad. 
Alright, awesome! I will be purchasing this color ASAP!

I know I would be heart broken if they ever discontinued it! It makes my eyes look so much more awake and bright.

I don't own a lot of mattes. I have the Meet Matt(e) palette, but I don't reach for it too often. I forced myself to use it a couple of weeks ago, and I realized I really liked it but just prefer satin and shimmer. The palette was very pigmented and produced rich looks. I'd prefer though some brighter shades.

I love this Kat Von D "Ladybird True Romance" palette. The colors are so pigmented. I reach for this palette at least 90% of the time.

Just last week I picked up Sonia Kashuk's Eye on Neutral 02 Palette. It's an all-matte neutral palette with 12 shades. I've only played around with it a little bit so far, but am liking it. The past few weeks I kept finding myself reaching for mattes I simply did not own at all and I think this will fill that desire. I found most of the shades to be well pigmented over primer (which I always use) and velvety in texture. They lasted pretty much the entire day for me. The lighter shades don't really stand out on some skin tones, but they can be useful for subtle highlights and blending. I think it was definitely worth the $20 in all honesty.

Quote: Originally Posted by thechain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Urban Decay- Naked Basics

Stila- In The Know

I'm obsessed with both of these.

Is Stila's - in the know palette completely matte?

I always toss and turn on whether or not I should get UD's naked basics. I feel like since I have UD's naked 1 and 2 I don't need basics. Thoughts?

Quote: Originally Posted by AmandaWarwick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is Stila's - in the know palette completely matte?

I always toss and turn on whether or not I should get UD's naked basics. I feel like since I have UD's naked 1 and 2 I don't need basics. Thoughts?
In The Know is completely matte! And the shadows are all very pigmented. They blend well too. And I've really grown to love the smudge stickk (eyeliner) that comes with it. It's a dark matte grey.

I reach for the Basics more often than Naked 1 & 2. But there are a few duplicate colors. I would pay the price of the palette for WOS alone though- it's my perfect "base" color.

I absolutely love mattes. Do you mostly use neutral shades, or do you like color as well?
Inglot was mentioned, UD Naked Basics was mentioned (I don't own it, but only because I had dupes for it before it even came out, and got Walk Of Shame Separately), TheBalm's Meet Matte was mentioned. Let's see.

Sleek (UK brand) has two matte palette, a 'Darks' and a "Brights" one. (All the pics in this post can be clicked for full-size)

This is the Brights.                                                                     And this is the Darks. 

I like to do some of my lining with powder, so I use the 'darks' one constantly. They're very highly pigmented, compact, and inexpensive. They do, however, contain ingredients that are approved for cosmetic use in the UK, but not by the FDA. I've never suffered any ill-effects from using them, but I want to make that known. The Sleek website says they cannot be shipped to the US, but some people have ordered them anyway, and received them. They're also available on Amazon and eBay.

Sigma has a fairly new palette out, called Crème de Couture. It's a mixture of pastels, neutrals, and brights. I've seen a couple reviews saying it has poor payoff, but I've gotten great payoff over an eye primer.

Madd Style Cosmetics has a matte collection that's fantastic. They always have a five-jars-for-$20 deal, and right now they have a three-jars-for-$10 deal. 

Spectrum Cosmetics on Etsy also has quite a few mattes. They sell samples in baggies for $1, samples in jars for roughly $1.50, 3g jars for $3, and 5g jars for $5. There's also a custom seven-shadow stacker for $20 and a ten-shadow stacker for $27, where you pick the shades. 

Other indie companies with amazing mattes include Black Rose Minerals, Detrivore Cosmetics, Sugarpill Cosmetics, and Meow Cosmetics, which is my personal favorite.

Quote: Originally Posted by MzBrownbeauty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I love this Kat Von D "Ladybird True Romance" palette. The colors are so pigmented. I reach for this palette at least 90% of the time.

That looks like a nice palette! I may need to Google this and check it out. Thanks for including the pic too!

Quote: Originally Posted by PaleOleander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I absolutely love mattes. Do you mostly use neutral shades, or do you like color as well?
Inglot was mentioned, UD Naked Basics was mentioned (I don't own it, but only because I had dupes for it before it even came out, and got Walk Of Shame Separately), TheBalm's Meet Matte was mentioned. Let's see.

Sleek (UK brand) has two matte palette, a 'Darks' and a "Brights" one. (All the pics in this post can be clicked for full-size)

This is the Brights.                                                                     And this is the Darks. 

I like to do some of my lining with powder, so I use the 'darks' one constantly. They're very highly pigmented, compact, and inexpensive. They do, however, contain ingredients that are approved for cosmetic use in the UK, but not by the FDA. I've never suffered any ill-effects from using them, but I want to make that known. The Sleek website says they cannot be shipped to the US, but some people have ordered them anyway, and received them. They're also available on Amazon and eBay.

Sigma has a fairly new palette out, called Crème de Couture. It's a mixture of pastels, neutrals, and brights. I've seen a couple reviews saying it has poor payoff, but I've gotten great payoff over an eye primer.

Madd Style Cosmetics has a matte collection that's fantastic. They always have a five-jars-for-$20 deal, and right now they have a three-jars-for-$10 deal. 

Spectrum Cosmetics on Etsy also has quite a few mattes. They sell samples in baggies for $1, samples in jars for roughly $1.50, 3g jars for $3, and 5g jars for $5. There's also a custom seven-shadow stacker for $20 and a ten-shadow stacker for $27, where you pick the shades. 

Other indie companies with amazing mattes include Black Rose Minerals, Detrivore Cosmetics, Sugarpill Cosmetics, and Meow Cosmetics, which is my personal favorite.
Thank you for including the beautiful pictures of the shadows! Makes me want them even more.

My class was cancelled tonight so I just **had** to go to Sephora ... lol

I bought the Stila - In the know palette. I haven't used it or swatched it or anything yet. I plan on using it tomorrow though, I want to look at the little booklet that came with it. I like to see the ideas that they give for how to use the colors together. The reddish color 'fire' made me a little nervous, because when I use a palette I like to know I'll use most if not all of the shades in the palette. The woman at the shop without me asking said, you can take that fire color and put it in your crease, it will look really nice on you.

I do think I am going to also get either meet matt/e or the sleek palettes. Love those sleek bright mattes.

One other thing, do we all know that Urban Decay's primer potion in Eden makes your shimmer shadows turn to mattes? The lady at Sephora demoed it for me today. If you apply the primer to your eyes and then blend in by swirling together your shadow on top it will mattify the shadow (it does change the color a bit too). If you just want to use it as a primer just don't blend the shadow and primer together and you can use it as a regular primer. WOW lol I had no idea. I purchased that too!

Quote: Originally Posted by MakeuptheCat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I don't have THAT much makeup, but it seems like the Chanel quads have a good colour payoff (some of the colours are matte).

Yes, Chanel quads are beautiful and sometimes do have amazing mattes. Thanks for the idea. 

I was going to mention the In the Know palette. I bought it about a month ago because it is matte and completely different from what I normally wear. I think you will really like it- I do!

Back