Which chemical peel should I start with?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

This will be my first face peel and Im doing it at home. I have a 10% and 30% salicylic acid and a 40% glycolic. I did a test patch with the glycolic and everything is fine a day later.

My face has been dry the past few days, especially after waxing my face a week ago which left me peeling in some areas and it left the sides of my face, especially on the right side, very hard and rough, not even and soft. I want to fix this and get a more even toned face. I also want to fade some acne scars and other dark spots I have on my face, as well as some blackheads.

Which should I use first?

Another question is, if I dont have any cleanser to wash with after the peel, what can I use in place of it? I heard your not suppose to use any soaps. And can I use olive oil and blackseed oil after the peel as a moisturizer?

Thank you,

First of all why are you opting chemicals. Go for some natural elements which will help you get rid of your problems permanently.

Because, end of the day chemicals will make you look older. So I personally recommend not to go for chemicals.

That's not that easy to answer because it depends on your skin and how it reacts to the peel. Often it is not the strength of the peel but it is how you use it. I use the Green Herb Skin Peel kit from homepeel.com.au and it is a 20% salicylic acid peel. The instructions are written in such a way that I have control to have it be a very light peel or a full 5 day peel. The full 5 day is what I go for is it gives me brand new skin in 5 days!.

The point is that if you are going to do a 'home' peel make sure you have one that has very clear instructions so you can have control to achieve the results you want.

Jodie

Your face peeled after waxing because it burned your skin.  That's not good because that causes scaring.  If your skin has a rough texture the wax most likely almost caused a burn or there may have been an ingredient in the wax that caused a reaction with your skin.

As a esthetician, I don't recommend that you do at home peels.  I know a lot of people who do and have good results but there are many that do not and cause scarring and hyperpigmentation that leads to permanent skin damage.  Mainly because the skin type and type of chemical peel they choose isn't the right one.  If you want to exfoliate your skin safely at home, please try a enzyme based product that breaks down the dead skin cells on the top layer of skin.  Enzyme masks and peels are great for all skin types, you can use them a few times a week and get great results without the risk.

If you have not used products with alpha and/or beta hydroxy acids (aha's and bha's) before, the safest way is to start with a low percentage.  Chemical peels are a controlled burns to the top layer of the skin so you most like will peel because that's what chemical peels do.  The darker skin you are more likely to scar and cause permanent scarring.  Also, many people think more is better when it comes to skincare and it's not the case.  Especially with chemical peels.  Since you waxed your face recently, you should NOT do chemical peel for at least another three weeks.  Waxing is a form of exfoliation.  Cell turn over is about every 28 days.  Because you are new to chemical peels, please use caution and don't leave the solution on your skin long.  1 minute and rinse with cold water until the activity subsides.  If/when your skin does peel DON'T peel off the dry flakes of skin as it can cause scaring.  SCARING IS BAD!  You don't need to cleanse after the peel but you will need to use a mild cleanser in the days after.  But you DO need to apply a moisturizer with a minimum of SPF 30 to protect that freshly exfoliated skin free radicals like UVA (aging) and UVB (burning) rays which will drive the pigment down into the dermis.  Don't use any oils, olive, blackseed, or other wise after a chemical peel.  The whole idea of doing a chemical peel is for your skin to physically peel to remove the dead skin cells producing new skin.

So you see, scaring of any kind is bad.  It only makes those once fun inexpensive chemical peels more expensive down the road when it has to be corrected with lasers or a scalpel.

I myself uses Perfect Image for my chemical peel because they have the full line of strong and mild since I actually have full regimen.

I have a full time job, I just can't afford the downtime of a 5-day cycle when using a strong peel.

Initially I use the strong solution, then after the scabbing, I use the natural exfoliation of loofa and mild soap to remove the dead skin.

I do this nightly.  I then pat dry my skin and next apply Positively Flawless Stem Cell serum in aloe.  This helps keep the exposed new skin healthy and prolong its life cycle.

Only when I see the return of fine wrinkles would I use the mild solutions -- and normally I can apply this Friday evening and by Monday morning, again using the loofa and the stem cell serum the night before, the fine wrinkles are gone.

Sorry, I skipped this out.  The loofa, mild soap and serum is my nightly maintenance routines.  I noticed that the serum also prevents the dryness that comes with the chemical peel and exfoliation.

The only peels I've used are TCA, and I like them.

For blackheads I would recommend using a daily BHA serum and then a once a week BHA treatment.  I would also use Tretinoin daily.  Both of these products will help with more smooth skin and even skintone.  After using BHA and Tretinoin daily for a few months, then I'd start doing occasional TCA peels. 

Latest posts

Back