October 2013 -- No/Low Buy Support Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I figured that since we're almost done with September it was time to start our thread for October. My rules are: -No random unnecessary purchases -I can get a few things from the Covergirl Capitol Collection (NOT the whole collection!) -Purchases must be made using coupons or items on clearance -Save for Black Friday! -I don't have any sub boxes so we are good there :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> -Start making up my list for Black Friday -I can buy a toiletry item only if I run out or it is an unusually good price and I will run out within three weeks -Find free samples for skincare and makeup online to resist tempatation :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> (on Target's sample area you can get a sample of the Maybelline Fit Me stick) Currently those are my only rules but I'm sure I will add to it throughout the month. Please reply and let me know what your rules are! ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I am being confronted with the Pacifica warehouse sale next weekend. I'll be making my rules and allowed list this weekend!

My October rules: -Only 1 order from Sephora. Must be below $60. -Only 1 item from Chanel -No perfumes! Get free samples if necessary. -Only 1 item from Sigma -No Japanese/Korean orders. -Swap for everything else

I'm trying to do a one in/one out policy with anything beauty related from now on. I'm going to keep all empties and things I want to toss each month and count them up to give my self the number of beauty relate items that can come into my life the next month. So far for September I've used but seven items and gotten rid of 12. This means I can get up to 19 things next month. I used up/got rid of a lot this month but I also had a lot of things that were close to finished or getting old. I doubt I'll but even close to that many things or that I'll have such high numbers in the future.

That includes anything for hair, skin, and body.

Foil samples are not included in my totals but deluxe samples are both in and out.

Items do not roll over from one month to the next

This also includes nail polish, nail polish remover, makeup remover, qtips, cotton rounds and makeup brushes.

Sets count as however many items are in the set

My rules:  I can have the following: My current subs (Bondi, PSMH, Ipsy, BB, and Lip Factory), Circular Swaps, items that can be paid entirely with BB points (no money involved)

I plan on no-buy until Christmas with the exception of Black Friday and Cyber Monday.

Strategies: I will not look at haul threads or videos, I will not open sale emails, I will not visit cosmetic websites.

I think I'm going to try to not buy anything in October. So far my strategy of "trying a lipsurgence color from the holiday set every five workouts" has been keeping me motivated to keep going to the gym and has been keeping me from buying anything! I'm definitely at that point where I feel like I don't need anything. My boyfriend has been pretty good about reminding me that the people we know probably would not care for make up for Christmas. And, frankly, I'm channeling my energy (and money saving powers) into the clothes I want when I lose weight! I also haven't bought any shampoo or conditioner recently. I'm working through the massive stockpile of hair samples I've gotten from birchbox and have forgotten about... Oops! Oh, and finally - I'm going to stop hoping and wishing for a sephora flash invite because we all know what that will lead to...

*TAKES A DEEP BREATH*

So I already mentioned this in the September thread, but even starting out October, I was not in a good place. I found my HG perfume by Tom Ford (a brand which is almost never discounted) for $50 at Costco. I want a GB because I'm curious about the curator, so even with coupons and ebates will still be ~$15. I heard that there was going to be a BL polish in Sample Society this month and I've always wanted to try them, but that would've been another $15. I was thinking about letting my second BB account run another month so I could use... $1.60 in points. Wow. Plus my main BB account is going to have its 13th month and I really shouldn't let 25% off go to waste. Plus, I really wanted to pick up the dance legend chromes that Llarowe is stocking to swatch for my blog.

Soooo I decided to stamp all of that with a big NO NO NO. These are the things I am allowed:

- Clothes. Because I'm tired of looking like a college student

- One order from BB with the 25% code

If I get antsy, I will start swapping but I really have some personal stuff going on right now... it puts things in perspective that makeup, as fun as it is, isn't the most important thing.

Um. UD Ocho Loco 2 was officially on my allowed list -- until I swatched all of my pencils into a couple of booklets for use in comparing my stash to things I was considering buying. Then I counted them. I have FORTY-EIGHT EYELINER PENCILS. Eleven purples, eleven blues, nine greens, seven browns, four blacks, two grays, and four metallic liners that I will actually use as shadow during the winter (they are very icy shades!). This does not include the chunky shadow pencils I sometimes use as liner, and this does not include liner pencils I use as bases for shadow. So, yeah. Eyeliner is now officially on my no-buy list. Everything should really be on that list for, like, three years, but I am specifically targeting eyeliner for October. Exception: If the stila smudge stick set shows up on Birchbox, I can get it with points. And if Marc Jacobs puts out a Highliner set, that will be allowed as well. (The UD Vice 2 set was also on my allowed list, but I've decided I can muddle through next year with my loose pigment stash since I think I have over a hundred of them, and that's not even considering my pressed shadows.) (And 2014 is shaping up to be a very-low-buy with just my subs and an occasional essence trend edition splurge. I just need to stop getting more stuff and use what I have! This applies to everything. Clothes, dishes, towels, perfume -- you name it, I have too much of it. I'm even going to cancel PopSugar at the end of the year if not sooner. But I'm keeping the makeup/beauty-oriented subs because I know that they help sate the want-new-stuff beast.)

Oh my goodness, I really need to be a part of this support group. I cannot, I repeat, cannot let myself buy any more makeup this month. I always fall for the good deals and end up spending more money than I have... :/ My rules for October: I'm not allowed to buy any makeup, except for my birchbox and ipsy subscriptions. I will save up and allow myself to buy some stuff during the holiday sales at the end of the year.

ok I REEEEAAALLY need this thread! I spent future $ on a steal of a Michael Kors purse so i'm officially on a no/low buy until at least December!! my rules are only my monthly boxes which I get ipsy/bb/ba(which im thinking of skipping for a few months) and popsugar. I have so much stuff I really won't run out. plus the forum where you ladies put where you got samples from I hit some of those up when I was out on maternity leave so I have lots of things to use/try. OMG!! plus I hit the hautelook UD sale and got liners and stuff so i'm technically good for a while. the last purchase I made was a few days ago at my local big lots where they had L'Oreal polish for $1 each and they were shades that were discontinued that I have been looking everywhere for! I bought 3. I did the walk of shame all the way to the counter. I need a support group.  hi my name is jo and i'm addicted to all things makeup and beauty related.......

After buying way too many clearance nail polishes this month, October will be an official no buy nail polish month.

I don't buy much other make-up, so nail polish is the only thing I am going to say NO to.

Quote: Originally Posted by wrkreads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  After buying way too many clearance nail polishes this month, October will be an official no buy nail polish month.

I don't buy much other make-up, so nail polish is the only thing I am going to say NO to.

Haha!  I am so with you on the nail polish clearance!  I was on a low-buy last month (and succeeded partially by not spending a bunch of $ on makeup last month), but I was only supposed to buy 3 polishes, max... and I found a clearance sale at Sally Beauty Supply and bought FOURTEEN POLISHES.  For a little over $13, so I can't even be mad at myself.  And they were all colors that I didn't have.  ...And at this point I'm just trying to justify it.

So instead of trying to limit myself to a # of products, and missing out on awesome sales because of an arbitrary #, I'm going to try setting a $ amount.  My beauty budget for Oct is (drumroll please, lol) $25!

I'm still not allowed to buy makeup, because I need to start using what I have!  I'm allowed to buy nail polish colors I don't have a dupe for (creme colors in blues, pinks, and tans), stamping plates - I want the Bundle Monster 2013 set!, and any random items I need as long as I can stay in my $25 budget.

Good luck, ladies!  May the low-buy odds be ever in our favor!

October is going to be a rough month because of sales and holiday items that I want. But I'm still going to attempt a "low-buy".

I am definitely considering doing a Makeout in 2014 where I limit myself to 10 beauty items from January 1 - Black Friday 2014.

October is going to be my first no buy attempt and even hoping I can be good enough to last till the end of November. I have wayyyy too much makeup and need to get through it without being sidetracked by new fun items :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

It shouldn't be too hard considering I'm moving back to Canada next week and will be jobless so I won't have any extra to spend on myself haha. I have to buy a few items I can't buy in Canada before October 1st but after that it's NADA (with the exception of my Ipsy bag I can't seem to let that sub go now that I finally have it) 

Also realizing how much weight my cosmetics/products added to my bags was a big reality check that I need to stop buying....sigh.

I'm still in my project 75 pan and so far I finished 13 products. I have a rule that I am allowed to buy 5 products for every 25 products I finish. My goal is that I could fit every makeup I own inside one drawer only. Since the holidays are coming soon I am on a mad dash to finish more products.

For the rest of the year I'm thinking of focusing on certain products that are about to go anyway. I just hope I finish 12 products before the inevitable New York shopping trip at the end of the year. It would be nice to step inside the Inglot store without fearing I might break my no-buy.

I'm already making a list of things I need to get.

1. A signature scent. I think it's time for me to get a high end perfume that I could call my signature scent. I think the Sephora perfume samplers would be a good way for me to find it and get a full sized product.

2. A brow product.

3. Refill my mascara collection since it's running low.

Some of you may have seen on my other thread that my husband lost his job. I dropped all subs except Lip Factory that DH and Momma insisted I keep because they know it's my #1 favorite.  I'll be on this thread a lot reading and keeping firm to resolve of no-buy. I admire every one of you who do the no-buy or low-buy.

My new rules: Only Lip Factory and Circular swaps for cosmetics/beauty items. I can buy basic hygiene items as they run out.

Strategies: Every day read the no/low buy forums! Count my Blessings, avoid haul threads and videos, do not go to cosmetic websites or look at sale emails.

We can do this thing y'all!

Don't really want to buy anything in October, unless I run out of that kind of product entirely. I'll just say for the heck of it my monthly purchase budget is no more than $50, since whenever I tell myself I can't buy anything at all, that's usually when I go crazy and start splurging like a mad woman. I'm weird, I know. I doubt I'll actually spend any, or all of that budget amount.

Also, by the end of Oct. I'd like to use up: all my foil samples, a hand cream, body wash and another couple deluxe mascara samples. I'd like to try at least 5 otherwise unused nail polishes.

Quote: Originally Posted by MakeuptheCat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Which hand cream and body wash are you using and what are the mascara samples?  I'm just curious lol

Soap & Glory hand cream which I'm probably 75% done with, Philosophy cinnamon buns (to be honest, doubt I'll finish this since it just seems to go on foreeeever), and mascara samples - Guerlain maxi lash (have maybe 3-4 days of usage left) and Benefit They're Real. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Haha!  I am so with you on the nail polish clearance!  I was on a low-buy last month (and succeeded partially by not spending a bunch of $ on makeup last month), but I was only supposed to buy 3 polishes, max... and I found a clearance sale at Sally Beauty Supply and bought FOURTEEN POLISHES.  For a little over $13, so I can't even be mad at myself.  And they were all colors that I didn't have.  ...And at this point I'm just trying to justify it.

Fourteen isn't bad. I posted in a different thread that I found the nail polish clearance motherload and bought 25 polishes at $0.99 each! And that was less than half of the available selection! Add to that the other 10 clearance polishes I bought earlier in the month, and I really need a polish no-buy.

My goal this month is to buy nothing! No makeup, no clothes, nothing but Christmas gifts. Going on a spur of the moment trip to the beach! Need all the money I can find!

Latest posts

Back