slinka

Weight loss/toning group anyone?

I know I can burn calories with yoga especially if it's power yoga and I know it helps keep me fit I guess I'm Just asking for any personal expiriences from People who have lost weight doing yoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelshine View Post

@kotoko I was able to use the blogilates mat today and found it to be pretty great! I think the trick is finding a mat that isn't insanely thick (because it will throw off your balance during poses like downward dog) but you need one that will still support your knees/lower back, esp with all the core exercises that Cassey throws at you!

@LolaJay ahhh, I really want to do kickboxing classes! I had the Wii Fit for a while and my favorite exercise on it was definitely the kickboxing/boxing sections. I think I'll look into classes in my area after I build up my strength/stamina more. I gotta get back into cardio (ugggh). 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinka View Post

Basically what @rachelshine said....shouldn't be insanely thick (I have yet to find one too thick, but I don't go out looking for them often either =p) but definitely avoid the super-thin ones. Maybe lay it out and try it before you buy, lol.

Hmm! Mine was thicker than the other mats available. Maybe my body's just not strong enough lol...

Missed yesterday's exercising in lieu of cleaning. I'll get back on it today!

I'm having an "I can't sleep" night and was looking through the new posts section and stumbled across this and decided I would join. About 8 weeks ago I slipped on a patch of ice and got myself a nasty, grade 2 ligament tear (sprain) in my ankle. The doctor, once she let me start walking on it again said not to do any exercise beyond walking and the rehab ankle exercises for 8 weeks. She said by then my ankle should have improved to at least 75-80% of what it used to be (though she said it'd probably never be 100% again). Tuesday marked 8 weeks and aside from sitting certain ways I feel like my ankle is well enough to take on proper exercise again. What is your goal? Lose 15 pounds and tone my abs (maybe even my thighs as long as my ass stays looking great-it's one thing I seem to feel always looks awesome so I just go with it lol). After my wedding I was a bit underweight bitni gained about 15lbs more than I wanted. What is your motivation? I used to enjoy running until I developed asthmam I kinda miss it. I want to be able to run again without the inhaler. What is your biggest downfall (when it comes to diet/exercise...i.e.-binging, carb addiction, emotional eating, snackaholic, etc.) Starting, eating when bored, snacking late at night/before bed,too much soda What are you going to change in your life to achieve your goals? Begin with exercise at least every other day, cut out soda to one per day until I can cut it without suffering severe withdraws, drink more water and maybe more tea and juice, eat more veggies (I'd add fruit but I have a texture thing that leaves me gagging as soon as fruit touches my mouth so I get fruit servings from juice)...there's a lt of stuff I need to change. So... my question for you ladies is this: what advice do you have for someone returning to exercise after a major joint injury that also has exercise allergy andcold Iinduced asthma? I know start slowly and don't overdo it. I was making good progress with my asthma until I had a bad attack a few konths back and it's like I've never exercised in my life now and I hate it. So I don't really know where to start since I have to adjust for these two things.So any ideas that'll get me doing more than walking (seriously not enough and it's getting on my nerves) would be helpful! ETA: I don't really have access to a gym. No money for memberships anywhere and the military gym I would have access to is closed to be remodeled. And I'm moving in one month. When we get where my hubby is being sent I SHOULD have access but moving is hectic so it could be a month and a half to two months before I can access a gym and since that's the case, my favorite low impact asthma safe exercise of swimming is out since it's not warm enough yet.

I'm having an "I can't sleep" night and was looking through the new posts section and stumbled across this and decided I would join. About 8 weeks ago I slipped on a patch of ice and got myself a nasty, grade 2 ligament tear (sprain) in my ankle. The doctor, once she let me start walking on it again said not to do any exercise beyond walking and the rehab ankle exercises for 8 weeks. She said by then my ankle should have improved to at least 75-80% of what it used to be (though she said it'd probably never be 100% again). Tuesday marked 8 weeks and aside from sitting certain ways I feel like my ankle is well enough to take on proper exercise again. What is your goal? Lose 15 pounds and tone my abs (maybe even my thighs as long as my ass stays looking great-it's one thing I seem to feel always looks awesome so I just go with it lol). After my wedding I was a bit underweight bitni gained about 15lbs more than I wanted. What is your motivation? I used to enjoy running until I developed asthmam I kinda miss it. I want to be able to run again without the inhaler. What is your biggest downfall (when it comes to diet/exercise...i.e.-binging, carb addiction, emotional eating, snackaholic, etc.) Starting, eating when bored, snacking late at night/before bed,too much soda What are you going to change in your life to achieve your goals? Begin with exercise at least every other day, cut out soda to one per day until I can cut it without suffering severe withdraws, drink more water and maybe more tea and juice, eat more veggies (I'd add fruit but I have a texture thing that leaves me gagging as soon as fruit touches my mouth so I get fruit servings from juice)...there's a lt of stuff I need to change. So... my question for you ladies is this: what advice do you have for someone returning to exercise after a major joint injury that also has exercise allergy andcold Iinduced asthma? I know start slowly and don't overdo it. I was making good progress with my asthma until I had a bad attack a few konths back and it's like I've never exercised in my life now and I hate it. So I don't really know where to start since I have to adjust for these two things.So any ideas that'll get me doing more than walking (seriously not enough and it's getting on my nerves) would be helpful! ETA: I don't really have access to a gym. No money for memberships anywhere and the military gym I would have access to is closed to be remodeled. And I'm moving in one month. When we get where my hubby is being sent I SHOULD have access but moving is hectic so it could be a month and a half to two months before I can access a gym and since that's the case, my favorite low impact asthma safe exercise of swimming is out since it's not warm enough yet.
Maybe you should try yoga? YouTube has a lot of fitness workouts, even the real-time ones

Maybe you should try yoga? YouTube has a lot of fitness workouts, even the real-time ones
I tried yoga back before I got hurt and I couldn't get into it. It really hurt my joints on my wrists then and it was beginner's yoga too. I really like High Intensity Interval Training but I don't want to rush my ankle into that ya know? I just don't know any low impact stuff. Maybe I should call my sis in law and have her ask her trainer...

I LOVE hiit, its the only exercise I seem to stick with and not get bored of. Other than ballet, which is imo the hardest workout of all, even for a former ballerina. I'm on phase 2 of 30, day shred and loving it! This is a tougher workout for me than p90x was. Love that it takes 20 min. If I want to do more I can and if not, I still worked my butt off. I wish I would have started working out in my late twenties. I always thought "I'll be a size 0 forever!" Yea right. Being short, every extra pound is really visible to me and I just dont feel good. I just need to tighten up. I sat on my butt for too long! And I esd just diagnosed with scoliosis, so exercise is the only means of pain relief. I'm going to try pilates mixed in with my 30 day shred.

I LOVE hiit, its the only exercise I seem to stick with and not get bored of. Other than ballet, which is imo the hardest workout of all, even for a former ballerina. I'm on phase 2 of 30, day shred and loving it! This is a tougher workout for me than p90x was. Love that it takes 20 min. If I want to do more I can and if not, I still worked my butt off. I wish I would have started working out in my late twenties. I always thought "I'll be a size 0 forever!" Yea right. Being short, every extra pound is really visible to me and I just dont feel good. I just need to tighten up. I sat on my butt for too long! And I esd just diagnosed with scoliosis, so exercise is the only means of pain relief. I'm going to try pilates mixed in with my 30 day shred.
Is pilates a low impact exercise? I've heard good things about pilates. I'd be willing to give that a go ifit is. I'll ask a friend who does pilates. She has a bit of a bad knee and some other ristrictive stuff so who knows.Thanks for mentioning pilates I'd forgotten about that!
  • Like 1

It seems like you could customize pilates more than most exercises for injuries. I also like seated or swatting punches to kick up heart rate when I'm inured.

It seems like you could customize pilates more than most exercises for injuries. I also like seated or swatting punches to kick up heart rate when I'm inured.
Not sure I've heard of that or seen it done... might be something I can do to help burn some calories. I do love my cardio but my lungs don't haha...but I think I will definitely try the pilates! And hopefully I'll be able to kick my eat healthier campaign off tonight since I'd already made out to lunch and movies plans with friends so I can see them before I move away. Time to figure out how to calculate the calories in my made from scratch meals!

Hi everyone. It's been a long time since I checked in, but I want to start posting more regularly here to keep motivated. I got engaged in February and that really derailed my fitness goals (wanted to lose 5 lbs in February, gained 5 lbs instead, eeeeeekkk). I'm back on a clean eating plan (high protein, low sugar, lots of plant based nutrients and whole unprocessed foods) and back down to my Pre-engagement weight, and down a pound from there. I walk to work each day ( about 30 mins round trip) but I need to tone up and I'd like to lose and maintain about 20 lbs...in the last year I've lost a total of 30 lbs (started in April of 2013, went down consistently until October at about 40 lbs lost, gained back 10 over the last few months/over holidays) I'm 5'10, and this would put me at 135 (I'm 154 right now). I gain weight easily in my middle so I need to tone there, but I'd also like to develop and sculpt my legs and arms. My motivation is a potential TV appearance this summer as well as an upcoming wedding, eeeekk!! I'm just struggling to stay motivated amidst writing my dissertation, working, and just not generally being in the habit of working out (my job is very active and I walk a lot, but I generally feel quite flabby these days). Just wanted to check in and say hi, because coming here and writing it down makes me feel motivated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallison View Post

Hi everyone. It's been a long time since I checked in, but I want to start posting more regularly here to keep motivated. I got engaged in February and that really derailed my fitness goals (wanted to lose 5 lbs in February, gained 5 lbs instead, eeeeeekkk). I'm back on a clean eating plan (high protein, low sugar, lots of plant based nutrients and whole unprocessed foods) and back down to my Pre-engagement weight, and down a pound from there. I walk to work each day ( about 30 mins round trip) but I need to tone up and I'd like to lose and maintain about 20 lbs...in the last year I've lost a total of 30 lbs (started in April of 2013, went down consistently until October at about 40 lbs lost, gained back 10 over the last few months/over holidays)

I'm 5'10, and this would put me at 135 (I'm 154 right now). I gain weight easily in my middle so I need to tone there, but I'd also like to develop and sculpt my legs and arms. My motivation is a potential TV appearance this summer as well as an upcoming wedding, eeeekk!! I'm just struggling to stay motivated amidst writing my dissertation, working, and just not generally being in the habit of working out (my job is very active and I walk a lot, but I generally feel quite flabby these days). Just wanted to check in and say hi, because coming here and writing it down makes me feel motivated.

Congrats!

Glad to see ya back and back on the wagon =p :)

I did it-  I signed up for the 21 Day Fix. I'll let you all know how it is when it gets here! I'm excited 

My stomach has been so sensitive lately... guess it's time to start eliminating things to figure out what's hurting it. All I wanna do is lay curled up in a fetal position. No work out for me today, but it's ok since I don't think I can physically handle eating much of anything. :,(

I'm new to this thread but not to trying to lose weight. I'm a yo-yo dieter. I have a fun/exciting/special even coming up, I lose weight. The event is over I gain weight. It's bad. I went on a cruise in 2011 and 2013 and lost around 30 lbs for each cruise but gained it back once i was home. Now, I have to stop being mad at myself and lose weight for good. I've gained a lot of weight over the past year because I have chronic low back pain and there are days that it hurts to walk, stand, sit or lay down. So on those days working out is out of the question. The pain hasn't been as bad lately so I've been back on track.

I like to switch my workouts up to keep my body guessing. I don't go to the gym because I have hundreds of workout dvd's. I have dvd's that either came as a system or I grouped them together to make their own system. I tend to do about a month long rotation with each set then move on to something else. My current workout is The Firm Cardio Weight system. It's a mixture of cardio and circuit training. I really like it. I also try to get in my 10,000 steps a day.

My biggest vice is food, mainly chocolate and bread. I'm trying to get better about what I eat and include more fruits and vegetables in my diet. It's a work in progress but I hope I can stay motivated. :) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinka View Post

My stomach has been so sensitive lately... guess it's time to start eliminating things to figure out what's hurting it. All I wanna do is lay curled up in a fetal position. No work out for me today, but it's ok since I don't think I can physically handle eating much of anything. :,(

Aww, Slinka! Feel better!

I'm kind of with you. I have Celiac's, but usually my tolerance to gluten is pretty strong. But it's been bothering me like crazy these past few weeks.

I hope you figure out what's up with your tummy. (Ɔ˘⌣˘)(˘⌣˘)˘⌣˘ C)

I did it-  I signed up for the 21 Day Fix. I'll let you all know how it is when it gets here! I'm excited 
I was thinking of you! Lol now I wanna sign up for it too... which one did you sign up for? I saw there was one on one site that was $60 and another that's $160

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrookeb View Post

I'm joining this group! I have about 16lbs I'd like to shed and need some support beyond my husband. smile.gif

Welcome!! I'm with you, except my husband is not much help. The other day I came downstairs after I got ready to go out, and I was like "Do I look ok?" and he just SHRUGGED HIS SHOULDERS!!!!

I was not happy.

When I'm trying to get back in shape I start slow - this time I started eating healthier breakfast (aka no McDonalds or Tim Hortons every morning...gross to admit but it happens!), cut down on pop/caffeine (from 1 pop a day to 2-3/week now), and pack my lunch. It's only been 2 weeks and I already feel better every day and have lost 3lbs. I think you just need to do what works for you. I know that if I try to set crazy goals I never achieve them. I know that I won't work out every single day - but if I start with a goal of 2/week then add on, it's much more likely to be accomplished!

Most importantly though, GOOD LUCK! And come share what is working for you!

• Like 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by usofjessamerica View Post

I was thinking of you! Lol now I wanna sign up for it too... which one did you sign up for? I saw there was one on one site that was $60 and another that's $160

I signed up for the $160 one because that one has a month of Shakeology. I figured why not try it since I heard its good at helping you stay full and curbing your sweet tooth (which I totally need). I was kinda iffy on trying it cause if I like it then its like $130 a month!!!! I'm waiting very impatiently for my 21 Day Fix to ship. But I'm eating all my junk food now while I wait, LOL. I'm terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheeeeeelby View Post

I signed up for the $160 one because that one has a month of Shakeology. I figured why not try it since I heard its good at helping you stay full and curbing your sweet tooth (which I totally need). I was kinda iffy on trying it cause if I like it then its like $130 a month!!!! I'm waiting very impatiently for my 21 Day Fix to ship. But I'm eating all my junk food now while I wait, LOL. I'm terrible.

i think i might get the one sans-shakeology...maybe. there's a beachbody coach on instagram who i really like and i know she's gonna try to get me to get the highest one. i'm really curious to see what shakeology tastes like, i just dont wanna get hooked at pay $130 for shakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usofjessamerica View Post

i think i might get the one sans-shakeology...maybe. there's a beachbody coach on instagram who i really like and i know she's gonna try to get me to get the highest one. i'm really curious to see what shakeology tastes like, i just dont wanna get hooked at pay $130 for shakes!

I know, thats why I was iffy on doing it with shakeology! Oh well. I might not even like them haha. I found my coach on IG! She's a fellow daschund owner & she had posted her before/after photos with the program, which totally made me want to do it. So She's my coach. She has a group on facebook with other ladies to support each other.

I know, thats why I was iffy on doing it with shakeology! Oh well. I might not even like them haha. I found my coach on IG! She's a fellow daschund owner & she had posted her before/after photos with the program, which totally made me want to do it. So She's my coach. She has a group on facebook with other ladies to support each other.
One of my friends is doing T25 and is planning on adding shakeology to her routine but it's just SO SO expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheeeeeelby View Post

I've tried Shakeology before (free pack to try from a BB coach) and didn't like it at all. I couldn't even drink the whole thing. But, I'm a very picky eater and don't like a lot of things. I'm glad I didn't pay for it. If you try it I hope you like it. I've heard good things about it, I just couldn't handle drinking it.