SquareHue October 2013 (SPOILERS)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meaganola

Uh Huh Her
Reaction score
It's almost here!  I'm thinking that we might be seeing an orange foil (the color of the helmet in the preview photos), a black pearl (that gas tank), and a brushed chrome silver (all of those pipes!) or a sand (the dirt road).  Those colors would fit the theme, the preview photos, and the fact that October includes Halloween.  I think of purple and green as the best Halloween combination for some reason, but orange and black is the traditional combination, so I can easily see this happening.

And I've been thinking about all of the problems over in the Bondi sub thread, and this one has none of those problems.  It seems like the subs where you pick the colors -- first Julep, now Bondi -- are the ones where there are delays and debacles galore.  This sub is basically my happy place.  I know I will get charged on a certain day at almost exactly a certain time, and my shipments will go out almost exactly on the first of the month.  Usually earlier, although I think there was one month when it went out on the 2nd, but that was probably because of a weekend or a holiday (can't remember for sure).  

And I might not get to pick out my colors, but I can be assured of smooth sailing operations-wise -- and there are typically colors sent out that I probably should already own but that I tend to pass over for my usual colors.  In September, those two colors were savanna sundowner and swahili charm.  Strangely, I already had one or two colors very close to grassland safari.  I love savanna sundowner to a bizarre degree, and that nice deep brown is just a good basic color to have for autumn.  I also really like how the colors in each SH box work together to tell a story.  It just feels a lot more cohesive and thought-out than the collections that have more colors to choose from.

I waffled back & forth, back & forth, but finally decided not to get the October SqH box.  If there's a black or very dark gray, and/or an orange, I just don't need more polishes that color.  I have several but they don't look good on my skin tone.  Still, I am very much looking forward to seeing what subscribers get, and also to seeing the November preview picture.  :)

Hi ladies! This will be my first month with Squarehue! I'm also subscribed to Bondi, not sure if I'll be sticking with both, but I love the idea of surprises! I'm hoping to get my box in the next couple days (maybe tomorrow!!!)

I should have my box tomorrow around noon EDT!  I'll be sure to post spoilers.

I completely agree.  Squarehue has consistently been reliable.  I don't mind that I don't get to pick the colours and am always happily surprised.  I've liked them all...including Patriot which everyone I know said they hated lol.  I never have any problems with SH.  I hope someday they might offer past colours for sale.  That would be awesome.  They deserve way more attention than they get.  

I don't think I'll continue with the Bondi sub but I will definitely buy individual colours like Haters Gonna Hate.  Otherwise, Color Me Monthly and Squarehue will continue to be my go-to monthly polish subs.

I'm keeping an eye on Cult Cosmetics too.  They recently released their own line and are moving away from the Essies and Color Clubs.  I didn't get in in time for October but I might go in for next month to see how they are.

Quote:

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And I've been thinking about all of the problems over in the Bondi sub thread, and this one has none of those problems.  It seems like the subs where you pick the colors -- first Julep, now Bondi -- are the ones where there are delays and debacles galore.  This sub is basically my happy place.  I know I will get charged on a certain day at almost exactly a certain time, and my shipments will go out almost exactly on the first of the month.  Usually earlier, although I think there was one month when it went out on the 2nd, but that was probably because of a weekend or a holiday (can't remember for sure).  

And I might not get to pick out my colors, but I can be assured of smooth sailing operations-wise -- and there are typically colors sent out that I probably should already own but that I tend to pass over for my usual colors.  In September, those two colors were savanna sundowner and swahili charm.  Strangely, I already had one or two colors very close to grassland safari.  I love savanna sundowner to a bizarre degree, and that nice deep brown is just a good basic color to have for autumn.  I also really like how the colors in each SH box work together to tell a story.  It just feels a lot more cohesive and thought-out than the collections that have more colors to choose from.

Got it!  I am really, really happy with this month's box.

Iron Horse - black high gloss creme Oil Slick - Grey/green/purple duochrome Desert Grit - medium orange textured  

I am in love.  Iron Horse is somewhat smokey...not quite but close to a true black.  The Oil Slick is OMG to die for!  It's my favourite.  It seriously does look like oil on the ground.  The Desert Grit is a medium, not too bright umber. It's texture is not sandy and it has no glitters.  It looks awesome on my swatch sticks.

Ooh, very pretty colors and totally appropriate for Halloween yet I'm glad I skipped since I wouldn't wear them much.  Hope SqH tapers off on the oranges and yellows for a few months.  Am looking forward to seeing the November preview pic and hopefully reactivating my subscription.

Are you going to swatch these?  I'd love to see them!  How does Desert Grit compare to August's Scorched Summer?

Definitely close call on the colors this month! I can never have enough black polish since I use it as a base for my duo/multichromes, I'm intrigued by the idea of the orange textured polish, and since I'm limiting myself to Halloween shades this month, it's the perfect color.

I'm kinda torn on November though - the theme is The Coastal Collection with the picture showing pastel blues, and muted yellows. I'm not sure if I want to skip this one or not, but I'm a sucker for blues so I probably won't.

It's so hard to get a good shot of the duo chrome.  It's a green/grey/silver/purple that looks completely different depending on the lighting.  A photographer I am not.  No top coat on any of these.  Scorched summer doesn't even come close to desert grit.  Desert grit is a light texture, not like liquid sands...not as gritty, know what I mean?

Quick swatches! Iron Horse is a really nice black, Oil Slick is lovely and this swatch doesn't do it justice (there's more green and purple in there), and Desert grit is very nice even though I don't see myself wearing it often.

All of these are two coats, no top coat.

Quote: Originally Posted by DonnaD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Here's the scorched in comparison.

Thanks for the comparison!  Somewhat similar in shade and color value, but completely different finish.

I think I have at least two other polishes that are the exact same shades as Oil Slick. But... I love Square Hue's bottles so much that I just regret owning the other two! (For the record, the other two are essie for the twill of it and OPI Peace Love & OPI. The essie might as well go up for swap/into my Secret Santa potential giveaway stash since I haven't used it, and the OPI will undoubtedly be neglected because if two colors are identical, I'll go with the Square Hue because I love their bottles!) And I'M ON VACATION NOW! A week and a half of nothing much to do but my nails! I'm going to go to Fred Meyer and see if I can find some striping tape. I have some Ideas of things to do with these colors! ETA: Yeah, dupe alert!
Essie for the twill of it (which is a dupe if OPI Peace Love and OPI) and SquareHue oil slick. Personally, I can't tell the difference, at least in this lighting. They might look different in daylight, but as of now, I'm calling them identical.

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think I have at least two other polishes that are the exact same shades as Oil Slick. But... I love Square Hue's bottles so much that I just regret owning the other two!

(For the record, the other two are essie for the twill of it and OPI Peace Love & OPI. The essie might as well go up for swap/into my Secret Santa potential giveaway stash since I haven't used it, and the OPI will undoubtedly be neglected because if two colors are identical, I'll go with the Square Hue because I love their bottles!)

And I'M ON VACATION NOW! A week and a half of nothing much to do but my nails! I'm going to go to Fred Meyer and see if I can find some striping tape. I have some Ideas of things to do with these colors!

ETA: Yeah, dupe alert!

Essie for the twill of it (which is a dupe if OPI Peace Love and OPI) and SquareHue oil slick. Personally, I can't tell the difference, at least in this lighting. They might look different in daylight, but as of now, I'm calling them identical.

I wasn't impressed with For The Twill of It - the duochrome shift wasn't really there for me, but I hear ya on the multiples of similar shades. But there's some part of me that is obsessed on having All The Purple/Green Duochromes, and I must have at least half a dozen variations as a result.

If you're looking for striping tape to mask off lines (and not to leave on your nails), I have the best luck with thin model masking tape, which is designed to peel off of paint without peeling paint in the process. Hobbytown usually has at least a couple different widths at any given time.

Quote: Originally Posted by TheSilverNail /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for the comparison!  Somewhat similar in shade and color value, but completely different finish.
Actually it's not.  Scorched is a deep orange/umber and Grit is a brighter orange.  At least 2 or 3 shades lighter.

Actually it's not.  Scorched is a deep orange/umber and Grit is a brighter orange.  At least 2 or 3 shades lighter.
Agreed. I would call Scorched a burnt sienna while Desert Grit is pumpkin. They're wildly different.

Quote: Originally Posted by DonnaD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, OK.  Must be my monitor.  Thanks!

What does everyone think of the November preview picture?  Doesn't grab me, personally.

I'm hoping that teal that's on all the doors is in there, and I'd like to see an off-white or eggshell color too.

Latest posts

Back