Piercings, piercings,piercings!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm not sure if there's a recent thread about this, I honestly didn't check but lately I have been having a piercing craving! I'm considering getting my septum pierced but I don't know if I would suit one. There are a few others I'd like to have but I'd have to move out for all of that,sadly. 

Any of your girls or guys have piercings? or wanted any?

I got tons, and retired many more (not by choice...long story involving getting hurt and them getting pulled roughly and thereby getting infected...ugh).

I'm so bored lately, I'm considering just piercing random things on me. (I've worked as a piercer and have professional equipment...I do NOT condone piercing yourself/using the wrong equipment!) I really wanted a third tongue ring but my tongue just isn't built for more than 2. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

If you want your septum done, go for it! Nose piercings are never comfortable, but the septum is nice after it heals since it is so easy to hide! You can hide it for a more soft look, or look more badass and let it hang down. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I pierced mine for badass points, I don't show it a lot of the time since I don't think it's the cutest thing on me, but I love having it there when I do rougher looks. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've got four. 2 nipple rings; both are 10 gauge niobium, with hematite balls. I got the left one done in 1989, the right one in 1990. Both were 14 gauge. I got them both stretched in 1993 to the current 10 gauge. 1 tongue surgical stainless steel barbell, 10 gauge. I got this one in September of 1998. 1 Prince Albert, 8 gauge surgical stainless steel. I got this one in December of 1995. This one is by far my fav body piercing ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have a bar that goes vertically through the "conch" part of my ear (Absolutely the most painful thing I've ever gotten done), 2 tongue rings, septum, nostril, lobes, 2 cartilage.

I had to retire 12+ on each ear (trag, lobes, etc), an industrial, the dermal on the back of my neck, and the one between my eyes.

I voluntarily retired two lip piercings and an eyebrow (got tired of them).

But I sorta want the pain again. Happens when I get bored, lol.

You guys have tons! I only have two apart from my ears. I have my conch done also but that one was less painful than when I got my rook done. (I had a time with that..)

Quote: Originally Posted by LaurenElle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  You guys have tons! I only have two apart from my ears. I have my conch done also but that one was less painful than when I got my rook done. (I had a time with that..)

Rooks aren't fun, lol, I feel ya!!

I feel like such a newbie lol I still have to get my ears pierced.  I've had a couple friends say to go to a professional as opposed to one of those places in the mall with the piercing guns (I guess it depends on what part of the ear is it too).  A friend also told me that I'd have to leave the studs in for quite a while before getting heavier earrings.  But yeah, piercings are definitely a cool way to express yourself so maybe once I find a decent place I'll explore ideas some more :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by CaseyR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I feel like such a newbie lol I still have to get my ears pierced.  I've had a couple friends say to go to a professional as opposed to one of those places in the mall with the piercing guns (I guess it depends on what part of the ear is it too).  A friend also told me that I'd have to leave the studs in for quite a while before getting heavier earrings.  But yeah, piercings are definitely a cool way to express yourself so maybe once I find a decent place I'll explore ideas some more :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
If you want a piecing, please do yourself a favor and go to a reputable parlor with a piercing professional and do not go to the girl-with-a-gun at the mall. You do not want a gun piercing. I wish they'd do away with those damn things already-especially since they let them pierce cartilage (aka the worst idea ever).
Let me put it this way- A gun pushes a blunt/dull stud violently through the ear. The skin is just shoved around, the stud tears its way through which can lead to nastiness (especially cartilage...if you want the nastiest looking bump around your piercing, go this route.). And they typically give you outdated care info.
A proper piercer will use a hollow needle, sterile tools and tons of experience- The hollow needle removes that section of skin and leaves a hole for which your jewelry to reside and its a clean wound for the skin to heal.
And yes, you'll leave your jewelry in for a while. Your piercer will give you all the info you need- and you should follow it.

Hope this helped! Have fun if you decide to take the plunge into pierced-bliss =p

Quote: Originally Posted by slinka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  If you want a piecing, please do yourself a favor and go to a reputable parlor with a piercing professional and do not go to the girl-with-a-gun at the mall. You do not want a gun piercing. I wish they'd do away with those damn things already-especially since they let them pierce cartilage (aka the worst idea ever).
Let me put it this way- A gun pushes a blunt/dull stud violently through the ear. The skin is just shoved around, the stud tears its way through which can lead to nastiness (especially cartilage...if you want the nastiest looking bump around your piercing, go this route.). And they typically give you outdated care info.
A proper piercer will use a hollow needle, sterile tools and tons of experience- The hollow needle removes that section of skin and leaves a hole for which your jewelry to reside and its a clean wound for the skin to heal.
And yes, you'll leave your jewelry in for a while. Your piercer will give you all the info you need- and you should follow it.

Hope this helped! Have fun if you decide to take the plunge into pierced-bliss =p

Thanks!  Maybe there was something that seemed a little off about having my ears pieced at the same place where I buy my false lashes... Glad I didn't go that route!

I'll ask people I know around here where they go.  I'm sure if the places they go can handle the more skilled piercing procedures, they can definitely do my more basic requests to get my foot in the door :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by CaseyR /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks!  Maybe there was something that seemed a little off about having my ears pieced at the same place where I buy my false lashes... Glad I didn't go that route!

I'll ask people I know around here where they go.  I'm sure if the places they go can handle the more skilled piercing procedures, they can definitely do my more basic requests to get my foot in the door :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Oh yeah- Basically any tattoo parlor (or whatever you call them in Toronto, lol) should be able to EASILY handle your request! Just make sure you like the place, and you should be able to see the needle in it's sterile packaging (they'll open it in front of you) and just don't be scared to ask how they sterilize their equipment. And of course your friends might have input! Good luck :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Haha...Definitely a good point about the getting a piercing where you buy your false lashes, lol!

I think they're also called tattoo parlors up here too, or maybe tattoo parlours (we have to add a 'U' to everything like "colour", or we just say it backwards to be more confusing hah).  Looking forward to ditching my annoying/painful non-pierced earrings, finally lol Yay! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Hey CasyR, there's a couple of good shops on Yonge between Gerrard and Wellesley. There's a good one at King / Bathurst, and new shop just recently opened on Roncesvalles / Dundas. So lots of good ones to check out.

I have an industrial in my right ear I've been considering getting a conch piercing in that same ear. I just can't decide if I should get it done now or after Christmas because I know I'll be swimming/snorkeling a lot over Christmas and a fresh piercing wouldn't like that too much, but I also want to maximize the healing time before I head off to Germany for a graduation celebration with my friend in July.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slinka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm so bored lately, I'm considering just piercing random things on me. (I've worked as a piercer and have professional equipment...I do NOT condone piercing yourself/using the wrong equipment!) I really wanted a third tongue ring but my tongue just isn't built for more than 2. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Do you have any recommendations on getting rid of a small bump surrounding a cartilage piercing? The top hole of my industrial has had what I believe is a small cyst for probably 10 out of the 11 months I've had it pierced. It's very, very small and sometimes flattens out, but never fails to come back. It doesn't really hurt at all and isn't swollen - the curved barbell I currently have in it can move freely and will shift if I tilt my head, but it's still constantly crusty. I know it's not a reaction with the jewellery because the other hole is 100% healed. Sea salt soaks/chamomile compresses haven't helped at all and I have a sensitivity to tea tree oil, so I don't really know what to try next. I should just go back and ask my piercer to take a look at it but I really hate their crappy parking situation lol.

I have my nose pierced, ears and cartilage gauged. Also had a below the belt piercing but did away with it. I cannot stand needles but I love tattoos (have 4) and piercings. Stupid, I know. Lol

Quote: Originally Posted by vogueboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hey CasyR, there's a couple of good shops on Yonge between Gerrard and Wellesley. There's a good one at King / Bathurst, and new shop just recently opened on Roncesvalles / Dundas. So lots of good ones to check out.
Awesome.  Looks like I'm all set now :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Thanks!

Quote: Originally Posted by slinka /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh yeah- Basically any tattoo parlor (or whatever you call them in Toronto, lol) should be able to EASILY handle your request! Just make sure you like the place, and you should be able to see the needle in it's sterile packaging (they'll open it in front of you) and just don't be scared to ask how they sterilize their equipment. And of course your friends might have input! Good luck :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Haha...Definitely a good point about the getting a piercing where you buy your false lashes, lol!
I think they're also called tattoo parlors up here too, or maybe tattoo parlours (we have to add a 'U' to everything like "colour", or we just say it backwards to be more confusing hah).  Looking forward to ditching my annoying/painful non-pierced earrings, finally lol Yay! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

(Sorry, I think I double posted - still getting the hang of replying on threads :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />)

I had my septum pierced and loved it. I loved that i could leave it down when I wanted, and then flip it up when I wanted to hide it. My mom never knew I had it. She found out about my belly button ring (now retired) when I had appendicitis - the nurse mentioned that my jewelry and belly button ring were in a container and well, mama was standing right there. Whoops!! My favorites were my microdermals. I had three on my upper sternum. I've really been debated getting them re-done or getting some on my side.

Hey! 

Well the piercings I have are the belly button one, the nose ring, & the regular ear ones...I used to have the lip ring (ugh got tired and sick of it), one in the cartilage of the ear (got infected, had to take it out) & a dermal anchor on the middle of the sternum area (after a year I had to rip it off because it got infected...yeah it hurt even more than going to the tattoo shop instead ugh)

I think that's pretty much my piercing history.

I got my eye brow pierced when I was 12. (I don't recommend this, it leaves a mark and semi closed hole that make up gets in to) Tongue when I was 13. (Still have it. Although, I've thought seriously of removing it several times. At this point, I've had this for almost half my life) Labret - Chin when I was 15. (I liked this, I could put a hoop or a stud in it, but when I was 20 I lost the ball to the stud and decided it was time to get rid of it.) Nose when I was 16 (nose piercings just look wonderful on everyone!) Top ear cartilage on both ears when I was 18 (I don't recommend this. You should only do one at a time, and they take a long time to heal. You need the ability to lay on at least one of your sides. I woke up to one very swollen ear, and removed the left earring. Never got it repierced.) Belly button when I was 20 (this was a drinking, on the boardwalk at the shore adventure. It's pretty, I like it.) I've always wanted to get my Monroe pierced. But I'm nervous about having more holes in my face since I have the scars from the eye brow and chin. So for now I have a tattoo addiction, 9 and counting since I was 20. I'm 27 now. By the way, my piercings as a young teen were before the law that you have to be 16. I actually ran into some trouble trying to get my nose pierced because it was the year they passed that law.

Do you have any recommendations on getting rid of a small bump surrounding a cartilage piercing? The top hole of my industrial has had what I believe is a small cyst for probably 10 out of the 11 months I've had it pierced. It's very, very small and sometimes flattens out, but never fails to come back. It doesn't really hurt at all and isn't swollen - the curved barbell I currently have in it can move freely and will shift if I tilt my head, but it's still constantly crusty. I know it's not a reaction with the jewellery because the other hole is 100% healed. Sea salt soaks/chamomile compresses haven't helped at all and I have a sensitivity to tea tree oil, so I don't really know what to try next. I should just go back and ask my piercer to take a look at it but I really hate their crappy parking situation lol.
I think it's called a keloid and it's pretty common with piercings.

Quote: Originally Posted by HHummel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think it's called a keloid and it's pretty common with piercings.

From what I understand, keloids are basically scar tissue and don't bleed or have any sort of discharge. They're often confused with hypertrophic scarring, which also doesn't bleed, except they can be treated and don't need to be surgically removed. My bump actually looked like a whitehead the other day, it was pretty nasty so I soaked it and put some pressure on it with a qtip to drain it and now it actually looks like it's receding for good. Hopefully it stays that way so I can finally change my jewellery out without agitating it.

Back