Makeup Practise

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, This is a silly question but i'd rather ask.I recently got my makeup artist certificate and want to start freelancing for bridals and such but,as you all know, Practise is the key. I really do not have many people around me at the moment to whom i can ask to be my practise model. And its different what you do on yourself and then on other person. I may have one or two people at time but i really do not know how should i practise my looks.make face charts or just do on myself. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I know this sounds redundant, but networking with your former classmates, and with family and friends is a good place to start, like your mom and her friends, and you only need one person to start the ball rolling. For me when I was in your shoes, I practiced on my gf at the time, and her friend. Then I worked in retail (Lancôme), which was about 1-2 months after I graduated, and there you have lots of faces to "work" on, as in practice.

Thanks for reply! Reason i don't want to start freelancing just after getting certificate. Because one mistake and clients wont come back.but yes i have few people to practise on. But really want to try on different eye shapes and face shape. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Though this isn't coming from the perspective of someone who is a professional in your specific field, I do have an idea. If you are at the point that you have fully applied the advice of vogueboy (or you cannot get the faces you want using that approach, and aren't in a position to work at a counter, etc.), you can start a promotional period for your business, and use it as a means to get many 'practice faces' :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. By presenting the offer in a context where there are trials prior to the 'real thing' for the client, you can ensure that you get feedback from the client on your work, so you lessen the risk of them being dissatisfied. You could offer coupons for "free makeovers," "$10 makeup applications," [make certain you limit the number you produce to a number you can manage!!] or  something like "buy a voucher for $25 for a special event, and come in twice before the event for a free makeup trial", or "whatever set-up appeals to you" with a presentation of major savings in contrast to your regular rates. Make sure those rates are also on display. Make sure these offers have a limited time-frame. Ensure all printed material has been carefully edited by a third party before printing! Such offers will draw in more people because they feel they are getting a deal rather than doing you a favour, you will start to build up a future client database, and will be marketing your service. You should also be able to get a diverse group of people in this way. Good luck!

Yeah... Bridal trials are a bit tricky to begin with, and to start a promotional period may sound like a good idea to get practice in, but in reality, in terms of marketing yourself, you need to promote yourself in a confident way. If you start offering free trials or money discounts, this will just send the message to any potential bridal customer that this MUA is new or not confident, so they will just end up going to the competition instead, in a heartbeat. Also she'll end up low balling the wedding industry and the wedding MUA's will just squeeze her out, as word-of-mouth is very effective. And wedding MUA's are a very small community in any city. Trust me on this, brides want the consultation done right the first time. Ever. Most times their "second opinion" will be there... As in their bride maid. Even then, there is a 30% chance they will go to another MUA. I also disagree with offering free make-up at events. Because make-up is expensive to begin with, especially when you're a free-lancer. The only time you see this type of promotion at events is when a make-up brand is a sponsor. And there are ways of getting into this as well, but too long for this post. I agree with the last part of displaying your rates and offering group discounts, however, this is best negotiated with each bride. I say let missyxoxo get her practice in on the one to two people she is doing now, who knows, in two months from now she could be working at a counter gaining experience, getting paid, and building her kit, and she could be doing bridal consults and weddings on the weekends... As there are a lot of potential new brides that visit counters... Good effort though on how do I make money as a fresh newbie option. Perhaps at festivals and at special community events, but not for bridal consults... Too risky to loose this cash cow in the beginning.

Thanks Monika1 i really appreciate your response.

Although Vogueboy ,i really am planning to apply to counters for this.

Last month i did makeup on many model all from different part of world in a hairworld event.glad i have loads of practice onAsian eyes too.

And also do not want to keep my rates low in the start as that may affect the clientele in nearby future when i increase the prices.

Working at makeup counters are GREAT practice! Hopefully you can get in on that. I agree with both posters above.. You don't want to advertise free or heavily discounted makeovers but use your friends and family as models and maybe do a giveaway to WIN a free makeover. This is pretty much how I started out. Afterwards a local salon owner found me and offered a business partnership. Just make sure you take pictures of all these models you practice on, they can be a great marketing tool!

Latest posts

Back