No-Buy / Low-Buy Goals for 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Girls (and guys). I figured it was late enough in the year to start planning my low-buy goals for 2014. I actually mapped out complete financial and spending goals by considering my income and created a sort of informal contract.

But in terms of my low-buy, I thought it would be cool to post my beauty and clothing plans in hopes that others would share theirs and we could bounce ideas off each other.

My low-buy goals for makeup, hair products, skincare, nails supplies:

*Only purchase products to replenish my essential (everyday items). These products must all be work friendly.

*Shop my stash and reorganize on a regular basis to prevent hoarding and wasting.

*Create a product inventory so I know what I own at a glance.

*Minimize the amount of salon services.

My low-buy goals for clothing:

*Do not purchase anymore clothing unless I plan to toss or donate 2 equivalent items.

*A limit of 4 new pairs of shoes.

*Purchase one cold weather jacket and one pair of cold weather boots for a vacation to Washington D.C.

Exceptions to the clothing rules:

*Scrubs to replace existing ones if they get damaged.

*Up to three pairs of work shoes if they are available for 50% or more off.

I hope to see other people making plans for their no-buys and low-buys ahead of time. I feel that a year plan is easier to maintain and can then be further made more strict on a month by month basis.

-19ten20

I keep losing this thread! Next year will be a *huge* step back from 2013. Posting to put this on my radar to fill out this weekend!

Great idea!

I will allow myself 10 beauty purchases between Jan. 1, 2014 and Black Friday 2014.

This excludes nail polish remover, basic skincare, hair care, and bath & body products but I can't buy these products until I run out.

I will not buy anymore clothing until I lose a significant amount of weight (20-30 lbs) by working out & eating healthier. 

I'm saving up for a big move after graduation so I MUST stick to this.

I think I'm going to deal with this in chunks.  My goal for January through March:  Subs and basics like shampoo, toothpaste, and shower gel, but only when I'm *completely* out.  That is all, and it's entirely possible that I can get by without buying *any* of those basics considering how much of each I still currently have despite my no-buy on certain items already in progress.  I just got approval to take a few days off at a particularly nasty time of the month to go to a comic book convention at the end of March, and I know I will be wanting to spend a *ton* of money there, so I am saving with a specific goal in mind.  Espionage Cosmetics will be there, as will a whole lot of indie comic publishers I dig, not to mention a whole bunch of things I don't even know exist yet but will desperately want to buy as soon as I see them!

ETA:  I think blush needs to be on my no-buy list for all of 2014.  I started 2013 with zero blushes after decades of refusing to wear any, and now I have well over a dozen.  I've kind of gone bonkers over them.  On the up side, I have spent actual money on only three of them, and those were all essence blushes, so we're talking a total under ten bucks.  Everything else was acquired via subs, swaps, or points (Birchbox and Sephora).  I've just managed to accumulate a *bunch* of them.

I plan to go on a low buy, but I don't want it to be super strict. Pretty much, I want it to less stuff then what I buy now, so instead of spending every single dollar I get for "fun" money, I plan to save half of it and spend the other half, and not all on makeup. I'm moving, again, next summer so I need to start saving up for that! :)

The only low/no-buy I'm planning for 2014 is NO PALETTES. None. Zip. Zilch. ZERO. I have way more palettes than any person could ever need. I'm talking well over 150. It's stupid. I haven't even used half of them.. Quite sad to think what I could have done with that money I wasted on makeup. Oh well. 2014 is a new year, new me, new budget!

I am not buying any eye shadow or lip products in 2014. I really need to use up what I have!

I'm *hopefully* moving a few states away this summer and possibly buying a car. My biggest goal is to get the number of products that I own down to a reasonable amount.

• I will limit myself to five beauty/skincare purchases in 2014 and can only shop during VIB and F&F sales. I do not need anything and I went nuts November and December 2013. I can replenish some items (cotton swabs, q-tips, nail polish remover, etc.) as necessary. 
  • I want to own only one item in each of the following categories: nude lipstick, bold lipstick, lip liner, brow pencil, brow gel, face powder, blush, tinted moisturizer, concealer, face moisturizer, face cleanser, body butter/lotion, makeup remover wipes, nail polish top coat/base coat, nail polish remover, and lip balm.
  • I want a maximum of 3 items in each of the following categories: pencil eyeliners, liquid/gel eyeliners, palettes, lip gloss.
  • I want to reduce the number of nail polishes that I own to 20. 
  • February will be sample month. I will use samples for everything until they're all gone. I have several drawers of samples.
  • I will watch and "favorite" several YouTube tutorials for palettes that I already own. I will dedicate one palette for each month of the year and only use that palette that month.

Just when i swore to start my no buy  - MAC comes out with their Magnetic Nude collection (drool
12.gif
)

So I did buy 2 items today (Superb skinfinish highlighter & Sensual Sparks lipstick)  

Now that im "uber" broke.... its really time for my no buy to take effect for 2014.

Lets be honest - to not buy ANYTHING for a year or months is just not being realistic.

So here are my makeup allowances - 

• Replenish staples that I need and use everyday once I run out (foundation/concealer/powder)
  • LImited edition items
  • As Gifts for others
  • If I find it on clearance - or a real bargain - minimum of 50% off 

I think thats strict enough but not unrealistic to follow - and I need to be concentrating on more important things (like getting back into shape and eating right)

Good luck everyone!

My goals for this year are simple, I think.

I planned on going on a no-buy for 2014 but it has been changed to a very selective low-buy instead (which my hubby talked me into, as he knows there are certain things I still want). Because we've established a monthly budget, I am only allowing these purchases:

- replenishing essentials I run out of. 

- Items I absolutely want - this includes non-makeup items, so really, I am allowing myself 12 purchases for the year, if that (I will be having to save up my allowance for 2 months to purchase an item I want).

Otherwise, the other rule is: use up what I already have. This is the biggie. My stash of makeup and beauty/hair/body items has shrunk considerably but I still need it to be much, much smaller. eyeshadow count is at 120 right now. it takes me a year to finish a single eyeshadow pan x--x. I don't have 120 years of life left! lol

I also made a list that I am going to treat on a "quarterly" basis, so that it feels a lot less overwhelming than thinking about it as a whole year. These are the items I will be actively working on finishing:

They will either "go bad"/are too old, or are just items I want to finish and get out of my apartment. So I will get as much use as I can out of them until the end of April and then reassess whether I want to fully finish them up or they can just go. 

Here's the list of items:

1. Urban Decay Naked Palette
2. Mac Cream Colour Base in Pearl
3. Maybelline 24 hour Color Tattoo in Bad to the Bronze
4. Mac Blush in Dollymix 
5. Mac Studio Fix Powder Foundation in NC35
6. Tarte "Park Ave Princess" Bronzer, Deluxe Sample
7. Sephora's Concealer in Medium
8. Mac Cremesheen Lipglass in "Looks Like Sin" (still strongly smells of vanilla).
9. Loreal Color Riche in Really Rose (still strongly smells of vanilla).
10. Revlon Lip Butter in "Pink Truffle"

BONUS: Bath and Body Works Sensual Body Lotion in "Black Currant Vanilla."

Good luck, everyone! 

Okay, so I just lost my job last week so there are going to be a few modifications to my 2014 no buy goals:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19ten20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Hi Girls (and guys). I figured it was late enough in the year to start planning my low-buy goals for 2014. I actually mapped out complete financial and spending goals by considering my income and created a sort of informal contract.

But in terms of my low-buy, I thought it would be cool to post my beauty and clothing plans in hopes that others would share theirs and we could bounce ideas off each other.

My low-buy goals for makeup, hair products, skincare, nails supplies:

*Only purchase products to replenish my essential (everyday items). These products must all be work friendly.

*Shop my stash and reorganize on a regular basis to prevent hoarding and wasting. Actually, I have already gone through everything and now I only have what I truly need (My Naked Basics palette, four single e/s, two powder foundations, one blush, one Stila lip palette, one Mac l/s, and five l/g plus a few misc. products).

*Create a product inventory so I know what I own at a glance. Collection is so small this is no longer needed.

*Minimize the amount of salon services. My hair actually got fried so I had it cut into a chin length bob so there will be no more salon services!

My low-buy goals for clothing:

*Do not purchase anymore clothing unless I plan to toss or donate 2 equivalent items. I just donated a ton of shoes and clothing

*A limit of 4 new pairs of shoes.

*Purchase one cold weather jacket and one pair of cold weather boots for a vacation to Washington D.C. My ex bought the cold weather jacket and I wore a pair of Bearpaw boots that I already owned (which I have since donated).

Exceptions to the clothing rules:

*Scrubs to replace existing ones if they get damaged.  Only if I get a new job that required a specific color.

*Up to three pairs of work shoes if they are available for 50% or more off.  I already own three pairs of work shoes. Full-time in my field is generally three 12-hour shifts per week. No more shoes!

I hope to see other people making plans for their no-buys and low-buys ahead of time. I feel that a year plan is easier to maintain and can then be further made more strict on a month by month basis.

-19ten20

Honestly, I am not trying to become a "minimalist", but having only the basic things I need (and this is quite a bit more than the basic needs!) is making my life a whole lot easier. Additionally I am having a lot of issues right now (health and otherwise) so clearing out my stuff has been therapeutic. I may take a temporary job out of state so owning fewer things will make it easier to pack
yey.gif

so funny - I just put Mac color base pearl and color tattoo bad to the bronze in my basket to use up as well - lol.

I've never done this type of 'use up' makeup basket before, so it will be interesting if we can actually get through this (specifically these product - I've had the cream color base for over 6 years now - that thing just wont go away! and I want to back-to-mac real soon - so im trying to hurry it up.

good luck!

Quote: Originally Posted by jaylilee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  My goals for this year are simple, I think.

I planned on going on a no-buy for 2014 but it has been changed to a very selective low-buy instead (which my hubby talked me into, as he knows there are certain things I still want). Because we've established a monthly budget, I am only allowing these purchases:

- replenishing essentials I run out of. 

- Items I absolutely want - this includes non-makeup items, so really, I am allowing myself 12 purchases for the year, if that (I will be having to save up my allowance for 2 months to purchase an item I want).

Otherwise, the other rule is: use up what I already have. This is the biggie. My stash of makeup and beauty/hair/body items has shrunk considerably but I still need it to be much, much smaller. eyeshadow count is at 120 right now. it takes me a year to finish a single eyeshadow pan x--x. I don't have 120 years of life left! lol

I also made a list that I am going to treat on a "quarterly" basis, so that it feels a lot less overwhelming than thinking about it as a whole year. These are the items I will be actively working on finishing:

They will either "go bad"/are too old, or are just items I want to finish and get out of my apartment. So I will get as much use as I can out of them until the end of April and then reassess whether I want to fully finish them up or they can just go. 

Here's the list of items:

1. Urban Decay Naked Palette
2. Mac Cream Colour Base in Pearl
3. Maybelline 24 hour Color Tattoo in Bad to the Bronze
4. Mac Blush in Dollymix 
5. Mac Studio Fix Powder Foundation in NC35
6. Tarte "Park Ave Princess" Bronzer, Deluxe Sample
7. Sephora's Concealer in Medium
8. Mac Cremesheen Lipglass in "Looks Like Sin" (still strongly smells of vanilla).
9. Loreal Color Riche in Really Rose (still strongly smells of vanilla).
10. Revlon Lip Butter in "Pink Truffle"

BONUS: Bath and Body Works Sensual Body Lotion in "Black Currant Vanilla."

Good luck, everyone! 
so funny - I just put Mac color base pearl and color tattoo bad to the bronze in my basket to use up as well - lol.

I've never done this type of 'use up' makeup basket before, so it will be interesting if we can actually get through this (specifically these product - I've had the cream color base for over 6 years now - that thing just wont go away! and I want to back-to-mac real soon - so im trying to hurry it up.

good luck!

I am going to try not to buy make up in 2014. Only when a product is empty. 

I hope I will achieve my goal.
hehe.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by MUMami /img/forum/go_quote.gif

good luck!

Those buggers take forever! One would think cream products would go faster but with Pearl a little goes a long way. Same with bad to the bronze. We can do this! let's check back in in April and see how far we've gotten.

19ten20, I am sorry to hear you lost your job! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> and I'm kind of jealous of how small your makeup stash is. I'm hoping to get mine to that size someday, however, I hate being wasteful so I refuse to just toss items that I like and are still in good condition simply to downsize. trying to get as much use out of them as possible before I have to toss.

I have been fantastic about not buying for myself, but because 'tis the season, the poor little bank account is gravely wounded, lol.  However, my kids are so happy with OUR NEW PUPPY (omg it's so cute - a crossbreed between Maltese, Schnauzer, and Poodle for my allergies, and we managed to get the quiet, non-yappy one in the litter!) and their other gifts, that I have no regrets!
Also, a low-buy for next year should be easy.  I've finally reached saturation point on nail polishes - the only color I "need" to complete my collection is a nice bright blue.  And my husband bought me ALL OF THE MAKEUP for Christmas, so I'm not allowed to buy any type of makeup. Seriously, check this out.  He bought me:

Palettes:

-Stila "In The Garden" 

-Stila Masterpiece Eye & Cheek Palettes

-Stila Dare To Bare 

-UD Vice 2

-UD Book of Shadows 4 Redux (Which also has trial sizes of UDPP, mascara, and a full size liner pen in Perversion)

Aaaaaand the Tarte Pure Delights LipSurgence Set.  

Seriously, he just went to our local Ulta (where I'm pretty well-known) and let them pick out stuff.  He knew I wanted Vice 2 and In The Garden, and just went from there.  And then because he loves me, he asked them to pile on the samples, and now I have Stila and Smashbox foundations/BB Creams to try, and the UD B6 Vitamin Spray, and a Smashbox makeup bag, some Benefit foils... among others.  Also, I think he forgot that he got me the SiJCP Favorites kit back in Oct/Nov (with the full size Smashbox BB Cream, Benefit's They're Real mascara, OCC Lip Tar in Strumpet, UD Sin/Mushroom Duo, Nars Orgasm/Laguna duo, and Sephora Liquid Liner Pen), but I haven't forgotten where he hid it, and I'm busting that ish out tomorrow!  This is in addition to being spoiled by my Secret Santa with more makeup (Stila Not So Nude Palette, NYX Butter Glosses, Chella Highlighter, Clear Lip Liner... everything I wanted but didn't already have!)

I. DO. NOT. NEED. ANY. MORE. MAKEUP.

(still keeping my Ipsy and BB subs for next year, though.  Because, you know... priorities.)  Other than that, though, no buying makeup.  I do not have enough eyelid space to come anywhere close to using up these eyeshadows in my lifetime.  I need to keep up with the Monday Club, so I can rotate through these palettes.  And I'll probably need to be talked down from buying stuff several times next year.  At some point, I'll probably dive right off that cliff and into the arms of Naked 3.  Still, I'm proud of the self-control I've mastered in the last few months of low-buys, and I think 2014 will be much better with me controlling my makeup addiction.

Quote: Originally Posted by 19ten20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Honestly, I am not trying to become a "minimalist", but having only the basic things I need (and this is quite a bit more than the basic needs!) is making my life a whole lot easier. Additionally I am having a lot of issues right now (health and otherwise) so clearing out my stuff has been therapeutic. I may take a temporary job out of state so owning fewer things will make it easier to pack
yey.gif

When I got laid off the only thing keeping me from losing it was my makeup hobby, honestly.  Instead of getting rid of too many things, I sold old things and would get myself the occasional makeup treat with gift cards and deals I earned.  The day I had to go in and officially clean out my office, I had to take myself to the MAC store, as weird as it sounds, it distracted me enough to go in and play with some makeup so that I wouldn't just burst out in tears.  My makeup love has given me a creative outlet that I always wanted to explore more but never got a chance to (my mother was a makeup artist/sales lady for a big retail store so I've always been into cosmetics).

Quote: Originally Posted by Sumayyah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  When I got laid off the only thing keeping me from losing it was my makeup hobby, honestly.  Instead of getting rid of too many things, I sold old things and would get myself the occasional makeup treat with gift cards and deals I earned.  The day I had to go in and officially clean out my office, I had to take myself to the MAC store, as weird as it sounds, it distracted me enough to go in and play with some makeup so that I wouldn't just burst out in tears.  My makeup love has given me a creative outlet that I always wanted to explore more but never got a chance to (my mother was a makeup artist/sales lady for a big retail store so I've always been into cosmetics).
This hits home. I know when I'm stressed out I go through my eyeshadows and swatch, combine palettes, try to come up with new combinations - anything to keep me from thinking about the stressful thing and losing my sanity.

some people choose drinking, I choose swatching lol lot healthier, too. I am realizing I am comfortable with the side of my collection - I just really want to use up stuff so it doesn't "go bad." 

@magicalmom  Now that's the kinda man I'm talking about lol. A man that can shop for a woman's makeup is a keeper!

Latest posts

Back