Foundation Brush...HELP!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do any of you have any advice on how to get the best results out of a foundation brush? 

I just purchased the Tarte Beauty without Boundaries collection on QVC, and love it! I've never used a foundation brush prior to getting this collection and it's not going so well.  I typically use a beauty blender with my BB cream for nice, sheer coverage. When I use the foundation brush with the same BB cream, I feel like the coverage is way heavier and even sort of goopy, for lack of a better word.

I've temporarily switched back to the blender until I can figure out how to get a better result with the foundation brush.

Any advice, ladies? Thanks! 
confused.gif

If your brush looks like this one:
Take the brush and using ONLY the top 1/4 bristles, you gently swipe a bit of foundation (about 1/2 size of a quarter - never more, a dime sized amount is ideal) on to it, on only ONE side. Then you take the brush at an angle where just the top 1/4 bristles touch your face, and you gently pat (stipple) the brush on to apply your foundation. Then repeat until you're done. Remember: less is more. If you see any streaks or when it comes to blending the edges, flip the brush over to the clean side and again using the top 1/4 bristles, you gently pat (stipple) the edges away. Never use a sweeping or swiping motion as this will leave streaks, also never over load your brush with foundation or load up the whole bristles as this will cause goopyness and blending will be very messy. Now if your brush looks like this one:
Take a quarter (25c) sized amount of foundation and using a spatula, spread it evenly across a palette so that the area is larger than the top diameter of the brush. Take the brush and gently press the entire top of the bristles onto the spread foundation, make sure that ONLY the very tips of the bristles are covered and not the bristle or fibre shafts. Take the brush and gently and evenly stipple the flat top onto your face. Make sure the brush top remains flat at all times, including on and around the nose area, (the fibres will get into these hard to reach areas). Never over press, bend, twist, or angle the brush during application as will cause streaks and uneven coverage. Again, repeat until you're done. Remember, less is more. If you over load this type of brush, the foundation will dimple or peak on you. It's not recommend to blend with this brush when wet. Also there should be no streaks or edges using this brush / technique, hence no blending is required due to the circular arrangement of the bristle fibres. On a side note, this brush is actually made for buffing highlighters. But as with all tools in make-up, it has a dual purpose. Patience is key to both application techniques. The more you practice, the more proficient you will become. Never overload your brush or product as this will not make things go faster.

@vogueboy...thank you SO MUCH! Your instructions are so detailed...I had great results when I followed your lead. I actually have a dual ended brush that has both types of brushes...so I really appreciate you going though how to use both.

THANK YOU!! 
icon_cheesygrin.gif

To jump off of vogueboy's good advice, I use the method he described for the duo fiber brush with this Sonia Kashuk brush.
Umm, I kinda surprised the duo fibre brush technique worked with the domed brush. Since natural bristle brushes are meant for dry / powder products. Just make sure to deep clean the brush after each use due to rapid bacteria growth that will occur. Here-in lies the problem of unnecessary work when using the wrong tool. But if you don't mind the extra steps, and if the brush works for you... Great. But I wouldn't recommend this type of brush (natural hair bristle) for wet foundations.

@vogueboy...thank you SO MUCH! Your instructions are so detailed...I had great results when I followed your lead. I actually have a dual ended brush that has both types of brushes...so I really appreciate you going though how to use both. THANK YOU!! :icon_chee
;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by vogueboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Umm, I kinda surprised the duo fibre brush technique worked with the domed brush. Since natural bristle brushes are meant for dry / powder products. Just make sure to deep clean the brush after each use due to rapid bacteria growth that will occur. Here-in lies the problem of unnecessary work when using the wrong tool. But if you don't mind the extra steps, and if the brush works for you... Great. But I wouldn't recommend this type of brush (natural hair bristle) for wet foundations.

I have sensitive skin and always wash brushes after each use.

And that brush is synthetic, not natural bristle.

I have sensitive skin and always wash brushes after each use. And that brush is synthetic, not natural bristle.
Yeah, I was just making a suggestion to others who will come across this thread. And you're right... That brush is synthetic. (That's what I get when I do a couple of things at once on set...)

Thanks vogueboy for the info. I use a flat top brush and am quite adept at it now but I also have one like the first pic and wasn't exactly sure how to use it. Let's just say that my one and only attempt using the foundation brush in the first pic didn't turn out well because I was swiping on the foundation like you'd paint a wall, ha ha 

Latest posts

Back