Could someone explain lip tars to me?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZeeOmega

Zee
Reaction score
Like it says on the tin or, rather, the thread title. I've seen mention of the OOC mini set available at Sephora and am curious. Unfortunately, I don't live near a store and won't be in the vicinity of one for a while, so I'm unable to check them out in person. 

My questions are:

• What's the texture like on your lips? Is it tacky, smooth, etc.? Does it stay that way or change over time?
  • How long does it last? How often would I need to re-apply?
  • Is it like a stain? It seems pretty glossy, but I've seen mention on here of it staining for some. 

Please feel free to add anything else you think is good to know when making a decision about purchasing these.

The texture is very smooth, like a light gloss. It's not sticky either, but it gets on your teeth easily because takes a bit of time to set. It does a good job lasting, one of my favorites. And yes, it does stain at least on me. The bad thing I've found with the lip tars is that they feather quickly and heavily, even when I try to put on the smallest amount possible. You'll have to wear a lip liner with these. Sephora makes a $9 clear lip liner that I like and use with my lip tars.

I don't have a problems with feathering or getting it on my teeth (on the other hand, I've been wearing the brightest and deepest lipsticks I can get my hands on for over twenty years, so I think I have just managed to learn how to not get lipstick on my teeth), and I don't use any sort of base or primer. I wear lip balm most of the time, so I just rub it off really well with a towel or some toilet paper to exfoliate and remove the last traces of balm, apply my lip tar, and go. It stains, but that's part of the key to its longevity. I do find that not removing all traces of lip balm can lead to it not setting right, but that could just be me since I actively *do* use it for its staining powers. But definitely just use a tiny dab at first until you figure out how much you really need. It may turn out to be more, and it may turn out to be less. This stuff takes experimentation.

Quote: Originally Posted by Deareux /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The texture is very smooth, like a light gloss. It's not sticky either, but it gets on your teeth easily because takes a bit of time to set. It does a good job lasting, one of my favorites. And yes, it does stain at least on me.

The bad thing I've found with the lip tars is that they feather quickly and heavily, even when I try to put on the smallest amount possible. You'll have to wear a lip liner with these. Sephora makes a $9 clear lip liner that I like and use with my lip tars.

Thanks, that's all good to know! 

One more thing: is product transfer an issue? Like, will I be passing on the lip color to glasses and my husband? I think the inanimate objects wouldn't object, but I'd feel bad about leaving a mark on him. 
rolleyes.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't have a problems with feathering or getting it on my teeth (on the other hand, I've been wearing the brightest and deepest lipsticks I can get my hands on for over twenty years, so I think I have just managed to learn how to not get lipstick on my teeth), and I don't use any sort of base or primer. I wear lip balm most of the time, so I just rub it off really well with a towel or some toilet paper to exfoliate and remove the last traces of balm, apply my lip tar, and go. It stains, but that's part of the key to its longevity. I do find that not removing all traces of lip balm can lead to it not setting right, but that could just be me since I actively *do* use it for its staining powers. But definitely just use a tiny dab at first until you figure out how much you really need. It may turn out to be more, and it may turn out to be less. This stuff takes experimentation.

I think it might take a bit more. My lips are fairly pigmented on their own. I like the idea of how the set includes a few shades that I can mix together and play around with more. 

Depending on if product transfer is an issue, I might pick these up by the end of the month. I've been really debating trying these or the UD Revolutions. I've heard great things about those, but for some reason UD products just never really work out for me.

I think it might take a bit more. My lips are fairly pigmented on their own. I like the idea of how the set includes a few shades that I can mix together and play around with more. 
These things are *extremely* pigmented. And, aside from the Stained Gloss line, opaque. The real issue that will drive how much to use is how large your lips are.

I find that they transfer easily when I've used them, usually on cups and on straws. They're easy enough to wipe off at the end of the day, although your lips may be left tinted temporarily (black metal dahlia leaves behind the prettiest red flush).

Lip Tars are amazing.I have and use every color, they are great for mixing such as adding a dab of the black to pink or red to get a deeper shade.Ive used em on clients and they love the pigmentation as well as the smell and taste lol minty

I think I'll crosspost this in the Sephora Active Codes thread since there's a discussion on these over there as well, but it's even more relevant here!

Ooh, I just came across a tutorial on how to make a lip tar into a lipstick/balm!  Basically, three parts melted lip balm, two parts lip tar.  You can melt the balm in a microwave or over a candle.  I was wondering what the consistency would be like, and it looks like it will just make the balm a little bit softer since the lip tar is basically nothing but oil.  And you're going to probably end up with two containers of it unless you start with a partially-used tube of balm, so you could have a tube *and* a jar of the same color.  I like that idea because that means multiple containers to keep in different places -- one at home and one in my makeup bag, for example.  I did put some lip tar in a clamshell, and that's nice, but being able to use it from a lip balm tube is even better for me.  I just prefer applying lip product from a stick like that rather than with a lip brush.

0.jpg

Double-posting to try to put this post on anyone else's radar!  I've been wearing benefit coralista blush all week due to the Monday Club, but it's way too warm for the lip tars I currently have, so I haven't been wearing any this week.  But!  My twelve-pack plus Power Plant plus Black Metal Dahlia should be delivered tomorrow, and my week with coralista ends Sunday, so I'm looking forward to having warmer lip tars that will go better with coralista and -- even better -- wearing a different blush next week (this one will need to go in the spring box because it's just not going to work for me until then.  I have very seasonal stances on colors!).

@meaganola (oooh, I love how it suggests names for that @ thing) - How do you find the transference of the lip tars onto other things like cups, etc? I know it seems crazy that I'm still debating this, but the purchase was always going to have to wait until November. Until then, I keep taunting myself by online window shopping.

Quote: Originally Posted by ZeeOmega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  @meaganola (oooh, I love how it suggests names for that @ thing) - How do you find the transference of the lip tars onto other things like cups, etc? I know it seems crazy that I'm still debating this, but the purchase was always going to have to wait until November. Until then, I keep taunting myself by online window shopping.
I'm the wrong person to ask about this.  *Everything* transfers for me -- even Stainiac.  Lip tars do dry nicely enough that my hair doesn't stick to them once they set, but they're not drying enough to make me reach for lip balm, although I do reach for it anyway because I have a serious lip balm addiction.  Even when I'm already wearing lip balm and can feel it, I will reapply just because it's been twenty minutes since my last application!  The key for me is that lip tars stain, so the color is still there even after the tar part wears off, so I can just add some gloss/balm, and I'm good to go.

Quote: Originally Posted by nichayes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wow Ive never tried lip tars were can I buy them?
Sephora or Sephora in JC Penney, or you can order them directly from OCC.  I think Sephora is the only retailer authorized to sell them.  You might be seeing some pop up on swap lists here on the forum shortly once those of us who are already addicted start receiving our mini sets with duplicates of shades we already have in full-sized versions.  Many 4-packs are already in-hand, and the 12-packs start landing tomorrow!

If anyone has a mini (or F/S!) lip tar from one of these sets that they don't want please PM me! I'll take it off your hands, unless I already have it, even if it's swatched! I'll trade handsomely! ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm the wrong person to ask about this.  *Everything* transfers for me -- even Stainiac.  Lip tars do dry nicely enough that my hair doesn't stick to them once they set, but they're not drying enough to make me reach for lip balm, although I do reach for it anyway because I have a serious lip balm addiction.  Even when I'm already wearing lip balm and can feel it, I will reapply just because it's been twenty minutes since my last application!  The key for me is that lip tars stain, so the color is still there even after the tar part wears off, so I can just add some gloss/balm, and I'm good to go.

Hmmm, since both you and @Deareux had product transfer, I will assume that that's just part of it. I also suffer from Transfers to Everything Syndrome. The only success I've had is with allowing a stain to set for like 5 to 10 minutes without letting anything else touch my lips. Seeing lip marks on things I drink and such just make me sad and compulsive. 

Still, for $20 this does sound like a good deal to try out. Just wish I had a Sephora near so I could see them in person before spending on shipping.

I don't have *too* much trouble with transferring so long as I use the right, tiny amount of product and as long as I blot right after! I also give it a minute or so to "dry" down. If I'm swearing a lip tar and smooch my boyfriend with freshly lip tarred lips, he will also be wearing some lip tar ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> So waiting and blotting is necessary IMO.

I had transfer and feathering the first time I used it. The key is using way less! You don't need as much as you'd think. I use a dot about the size of a pencil lead and apply to my bottom lip then press my lips together and use my lip brush to even out the edges then a light blot.

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't have *too* much trouble with transferring so long as I use the right, tiny amount of product and as long as I blot right after!

I also give it a minute or so to "dry" down. If I'm swearing a lip tar and smooch my boyfriend with freshly lip tarred lips, he will also be wearing some lip tar
wink.gif
So waiting and blotting is necessary IMO.

Quote: Originally Posted by MzKayleeJames /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had transfer and feathering the first time I used it. The key is using way less! You don't need as much as you'd think. I use a dot about the size of a pencil lead and apply to my bottom lip then press my lips together and use my lip brush to even out the edges then a light blot.

Thank you both! Hmmm... resolve dwindling.... beginning of November looming closer...

Back