Who subs to Ophelia's Apothecary?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just joined based on reviews from other bloggers and I just got my first monthly box

I would like to know if other folks have gotten their October box to compare - I just feel a bit disappointed by my items right now.  I looked at other boxes in the past with lip balms, for example.  She always put the lip balm in a lip balm type tube.  This month was a teeny tiny lip pot and I have to dig at with my fingers.

I am not keen on the scent either, I mentioned that I was allergic to some scents (as she does do a profile) but it seems that it didn't matter for this month.  The perfume oil is "pink" and I have no idea what is in it other than I sneeze horribly and it is overpowering (something I also mentioned was a no-no for me in the profile - I get headaches)

I just feel really let down after seeing the GREAT boxes that where done in the last few months, which is why I joined.

I am in a long term sub with her, so maybe this was just a really bad month for her....

This will be my third and final month with this sub and I think it's just ok. I don't think it really gets customized from what I can tell. I've got some items I've enjoyed, but also some that didn't really interest me such as scented powder and pumpkin mask, which was no good for my sensitive skin. Last month there were customized pendants which were cute.

I was interested and she never replied to my email...so I kind of forgot about her sub.

Quote: Originally Posted by centaur74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  This will be my third and final month with this sub and I think it's just ok. I don't think it really gets customized from what I can tell. I've got some items I've enjoyed, but also some that didn't really interest me such as scented powder and pumpkin mask, which was no good for my sensitive skin. Last month there were customized pendants which were cute.
that is too bad about the customization - I mean, why ask if you are allergic or sensitive to things then? 

let me know what your thoughts are on the October bag.  I am still very confused about the lip balm, because I am not sure what the heck it is supposed to taste like (tastes like perfume, quite frankly, if I had to choose) and about its container.   

Hmm I was really interested in this one based on blogger reviews too. Was everything you received strongly scented? I don't love really strong scents in my face care product though I'm generally not allergic.

Quote: Originally Posted by had706 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hmm I was really interested in this one based on blogger reviews too. Was everything you received strongly scented? I don't love really strong scents in my face care product though I'm generally not allergic.
yes, this month WAS very strongly scented.  The pink oil just seemed to overpower everything and I cannot find it on her facebook page to see what it is made of.   All I know is that I am allergic to something in it, because I sneeze like crazy and get a headache.  Same with the pink sugar items.

the theme was "pink" for breast cancer and I hate to complain, as the owner/creator is going thru treatment for cancer...

This is what I got this month - the pink ribbon is counted as an item.  When you compare that to last few months (based on blogger's reviews), I am underwhelmed here.   For size reference, that unmarked tub (which is what my lip balm came in!!) is bigger than a nickle but way less the size of a quarter. I am not sure how this is 60.00 worth of product this month...maybe the bracelet or something?  Which I won't wear, but that is my own personal taste and not her fault.

handmade card (this was very pretty, made by her sister), the pink ribbon, a tiny sample of pink sugar body cream, the angel bracelet, a tiny tiny tub of pink frosting lip balm (which I have  a hell of  a time even getting out of the tub, let alone putting it on - it is too hard.  It should be in her normal lip balm containers, but it is not this month), a heavily scented perfume oil in pink, and a mist body spray in pink sugar.

It is all heavily scented and not in a good way, imho.

I was interested and she never replied to my email...so I kind of forgot about her sub.
I tried to sub the other night, and I kept getting an error message when I tried to add the sub to my cart. I called it a sign that I'm not supposed to subscribe and didn't bother emailing for help.

her email doesn't seem to work properly - I never get an email from her except when paypal sends it out - lol.    I have to communicate with her on facebook.  She is going thru treatments right now, so perhaps this was just a really rough month.  I so want to give her sub a fair chance, so I did message her privately on FB to let her know of my concerns and issues.

Oh yeah I would only possibly use the scrub and lip balm out of that box. I'm still interested but think I'll wait another month and see what's in the next box.

I have subscribed for 3 months, not counting October, and have been consistently impressed with the boxes, I haven't received my October box yet (expected to be delivered tomorrow).  Based on the image posted above, I really don't think it's a bad box, especially considering every item I've received from her has been great quality.  I think the mistake is (from my understanding?) including two pink sugar scented products, since that is such a polarizing scent in the first place.  The lip pot issue honestly just sounds like a personal preference, which is just part of the sub box game.

She has been quieter than usual on Facebook and I do think it's possible that she is having a rough month.  With an indie company like OA I'm much more forgiving than I would be if Birchbox or Ipsy had a "fail" month, because there are many people behind them whereas OA is 1 or 2 people running the whole show.   With that said, I don't consider this month a fail based on the photo, but for others it certainly could be.  When I receive my box I'll let you know if my opinion has changed!

Quote: Originally Posted by biancardi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  her email doesn't seem to work properly - I never get an email from her except when paypal sends it out - lol.   

Definitely agree-- when I first subbed I did it through email and didn't hear back.. I contacted her on Facebook and the response was super fast.  

she was super sweet on fb - she missed my allergies issues and will be sending out something with my pumpkin trio that I ordered ships out!!

I hope she also gives credit to the blogger about my sub and also my free gift!!

Quote: Originally Posted by Jeaniney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I have subscribed for 3 months, not counting October, and have been consistently impressed with the boxes, I haven't received my October box yet (expected to be delivered tomorrow).  Based on the image posted above, I really don't think it's a bad box, especially considering every item I've received from her has been great quality.  I think the mistake is (from my understanding?) including two pink sugar scented products, since that is such a polarizing scent in the first place.  The lip pot issue honestly just sounds like a personal preference, which is just part of the sub box game.

She has been quieter than usual on Facebook and I do think it's possible that she is having a rough month.  With an indie company like OA I'm much more forgiving than I would be if Birchbox or Ipsy had a "fail" month, because there are many people behind them whereas OA is 1 or 2 people running the whole show.   With that said, I don't consider this month a fail based on the photo, but for others it certainly could be.  When I receive my box I'll let you know if my opinion has changed!
I just was a little taken aback because past reviews show the lip balm in a twist up tube.  The balm is not a soft one, but very hard and it seems that doesn't lend itself well to a lip pot.

I have no issues with the lip pots in general, but my experience has been that a softer type of product is in a pot, not a rock hard product.

So I got mine early!  It came today, with the same contents as yours.  The bracelet is too big and falls right off my wrist, but I will either regift it or remove the little pendant and put it on a chain as a necklace.  I'm very satisfied with my beauty products though.  I think the scents are nice, but they are not my favorite either -- not especially overwhelming as individual items, but a little bit of sugary sweet overload when combined together all in one package.  My lip balm was hard when I took it out of the mailbox (it's chilly out!) but it's been on my counter all day and isn't any harder than say, mox lip butter, for example.  It's definitely not as convenient as a tube, but I didn't have an issue applying it to my lips due to the hardness as you described (but my house is currently 73 degrees which probably helped it soften up a bit).

Regarding your comment that the ribbon counts as an item-- I don't think that's the case (?).  She promises 4-5 sample size products, and we received 4 beauty items + bracelet + the handmade card.

It's so interesting how the same products can be perceived differently by different people, which I think is a good thing!! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

hi jeaniney, for me the problem was the scents.  I did track down the notes and 2 of them were on my allergy list and the 3rd was a new one for me, as I never owned any perfume with peony.  I also did say that notes that I disliked were overly powdery floral types, so I guess I *knew* already that those scents are ones that make me sick.

It also didn't help that the pink oil leaked all over and the smell was on everything.  I think that if the scents were different and not ones that I was allergic to, I would be fine with the bag.

my lip balm has not softened and it is 77 degrees in my home -lol

you are right about the ribbon!!  I think because of my allergies, it "colored" my perception :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  She is really super sweet and said that she overlooked my allergen issues and will ship out something different on monday.  I am not sure if it will just be the oil or a couple of the products.

the pink theme could have included scents like pink lemonaide or pink peppermint, which citrus and mints are scents that I am not allergic to....but it was a strong floral month this time around - at least for me.  I didn't pick up on the sugary sweet notes, just the strong floral, but that is probably because I am allergic to the notes in this box and why I felt it was overpowering..

I am so happy, she is going to send out replacements on monday with my free roller ball perfume

I also ordered a bunch of stuff from her as I am very interested in her products

I did the flash on her facekit, which is a great deal, also did the pumpkin trio + pumpkin cheesecake lip gloss, her flash on 3 lip balms and the dirty peppermint facial scrub!!!

I want to do the blueberry & lemon cleanser, but I am maxed out right now!!  Maybe in a couple of weeks :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by biancardi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I am so happy, she is going to send out replacements on monday with my free roller ball perfume

I also ordered a bunch of stuff from her as I am very interested in her products

I did the flash on her facekit, which is a great deal, also did the pumpkin trio + pumpkin cheesecake lip gloss, her flash on 3 lip balms and the dirty peppermint facial scrub!!!

I want to do the blueberry & lemon cleanser, but I am maxed out right now!!  Maybe in a couple of weeks :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Nice!!  I got a mini of the Blueberry Lemon face cleanser in a previous box and it's awesome!  One of those things you just can't find anything like in a major retail store.  The facekit looks great too, I saw her facebook post and was so tempted.  You'll have to let me know how you like it!

Quote: Originally Posted by Jeaniney /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nice!!  I got a mini of the Blueberry Lemon face cleanser in a previous box and it's awesome!  One of those things you just can't find anything like in a major retail store.  The facekit looks great too, I saw her facebook post and was so tempted.  You'll have to let me know how you like it!
will do!  I guess we can keep this thread going for OA sub and products :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I subscribe to her and have since June or July. I am always impressed with her boxes. This month wasn't my favorite, but it was still pretty good! I've never had any problems with her not emailing me back, but maybe she is having a rough month.

I am so happy to hear from others who have subs with OA.  She is really super sweet & I do follow her on FB, so she has been responsive that way.

Both of you sound like you are happy with her sub, so I think this month's box I can chalk up to my allergies :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back