The Monday Club

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meaganola

Uh Huh Her
Reaction score
So @Kristine Walker (I don't know if the @ thing works if there's a space in your name!) had a *fantastic* idea:  Each Monday, shop from your stash for one thing to use every day for that week.  I've got a sizable sample stash of things I do want to try "some day," so that's my focus:  My unused samples.  "Some day" is now.  I was going to pick my new item on Monday nights due to work ick, but then I realized that Mondays are just as bad as Tuesdays because of the way work comes in, so I'll be picking on Sundays to put that item into use on Monday (if I don't pick on Sunday, I won't get it into position to be used on Monday)!     

ANYWAY.  This week, my sample is benefit Coralista blush!  This is from my benefit advent calendar (advent isn't a big thing for me, but makeup samples are, so I bought this with the intent to put it into use right away!).  A full-sized version is 0.28 oz, and this one is 0.1 oz, so it's a really good-sized sample I am in no danger of using up this week.  I actually tried it on my bare skin today just to see what it was going to look like so I could figure out whether to adjust my eyeshadow selections for the week, and it didn't seem to show up at all, so this is clearly going to be a very natural cheek week for me.

What is everyone else giving a whirl this week?

I'm going to use my Vivant Skincare Green Tea Antioxidant Cleanser sample that came with a birchbox order. It's only 4.5 ml so hopefully I can use it up and get it out of my life. I have far too many deluxe samples that I never use and are just taking up space.

I brought out a UD lipstick I've been ignoring. It is a deep blackberry shade and I like it for a night out but with three kids, nights out are few and far between. However, if I layer a nude over this lipstick it softens up the color and I like it for day wear. 

I'm also doing a weekly foil packet grab. I have a small makeup bag (ipsy size) of foil packets and I'm taking one out a week to use. This week is an exfoliating cleanser from Fresh. It is good size so probably two uses. I've heard good things about this brand so I'm excited to give it a go. 

I'm going to use my L.A. Colors Traditional Palette this week. I brought it about 6 months back, and still haven't used it. This is going to be a neutral eye week for me.

Quote: Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  loove this idea. This week I'm going to use my Lorac pro palette that never gets touched.Do palettes count? lol
I'm using a palette that I usually only touch once a week.

I'm using my Kat Von D Ladybird palette and UD Glinda lip pencil everyday this week. 

Thanks for starting this thread! Today I unearthed my Black Honey duo ( gloss on one end, almost lipstick on other) I plan to use it everyday this week. I'm thrilled to hear what everyone else is choosing!

Very cool idea. I pulled out some shampoo and conditioner samples, a benefit chacha tint, Napoleon perdis auto pilot primer and sole goddess foot treatment. Oh and a new cleanser because mine is running out. I bought the whole Paula's choice balancing system but am not allowing myself to use it until I go through some of my older items

Such a fun idea! This week, I pulled out my Nars Orgasm/Laguna duo that is almost used up. I'd really like for this to be gone soon. So everyday this week I will use it.

This is a great idea! This week I'm going to use my benefit eye cream and my NARS laguna bronzer. Both are getting close to being finished, so I just have to commit to finishing them, then I can move onto new products!

This is a good idea! I hoard my samples like I'm waiting for some special occasion to use them, and I just have boxes and boxes of things stashed in my closet, with more coming in every month! So, I've tried a bunch today: I started using my Michael Todd True Organics Jojoba Charcoal Facial Scrub from Ipsy. I think I really like it! I also tried the Intelligent Beauty Labs Rescue Rapid Hair Mask from my first Blush box. I'm not sure I like this, but it may have just been a bad hair day - this is where trying for a week comes in, I suppose. Then I cracked open the Fresh Umbrian Clay Mattifying Serum from the Man Repeller Glossybox. That I don't think I like - I don't see any mattifying effect whatsoever. Additionally, I tried the Anastasia Lash Genius "topcoat" on my mascara (I think this was from Blush?) and I can't tell if it makes a difference or not yet.

I know what you mean Amy! I have a terrible habit of not using things because I'm saving them for something special, or I just don't want to mess them up and lose that new look. Crazy huh?

I know! And I keep telling myself I'm going to quit some subs and re-join later, maybe, but I still have 5 of them...ridiculous.

Quote: Originally Posted by page5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I brought out a UD lipstick I've been ignoring. It is a deep blackberry shade and I like it for a night out but with three kids, nights out are few and far between. However, if I layer a nude over this lipstick it softens up the color and I like it for day wear. 

I just needed to play with this lipstick! If I dab it on and apply it lightly I don't even need the nude lipstick over it. I'm loving it and the formula is great - minimal transfer to my coffee cup. 

That's great Page5!  Lipsticks are my fave because they are so versatile.

1.One sheer coat, casual.

2.Apply, blot, apply, blot down until a stain

3.Two or more coats richer color,

4.Dot on cheeks for matching blush

5.Dig out remnants from tube, melt with vaseline or coconut oil for a tinted gloss/balm

6. Mix remnants to create a new color

I'm sure there are many other uses I've forgotten

I know I'm late on this train, but for the rest of the week I'll use Physicians Formula Happy Booster Blush in Pink. It's a very natural looking blush, and I usually like a little more color.

Okay, it's only Friday, but coralista is going into the Spring box now!  I'm getting my hair colored tomorrow, and I don't want to go in wearing it because I don't want the stylist to think that I normally wear that color of blush because it might mean a hair color that turns out to be too warm for my comfort, plus I just got a certain sub box that sent me a blush palette that included exactly the color I've been coveting for fall, so I'll break that out tomorrow.  But I'll go ahead and pull my item for next week now so I can think about how I will incorporate it into my routine next week.  That item is...  (I'm actually headed to the other side of the apartment now to get the Monday box!) benefit girl meets pearl.  I'm going to have to do some research on this one and figure out how to actually use highlighters.  Side benefit of this project:  I'm going to actually *learn* how to use this stuff instead of just guessing how it's supposed to be used and abandoning it after not being able to figure it out after two tries.

(I also just received a benefit creaseless cream shadow deluxe sample in no pressure, but I got it specifically to use *now*, so it's not going into the Monday box.)

I love this idea!  My biggest problem is that I cannot stop buying makeup but never ever get up early enough to actually DO my makeup M-F!  I just got the UD Vice 2 palette so my goal this week is to get up early enough to do a different eye look with that palette every day!

Quote: Originally Posted by donutbaby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I love this idea!  My biggest problem is that I cannot stop buying makeup but never ever get up early enough to actually DO my makeup M-F!  I just got the UD Vice 2 palette so my goal this week is to get up early enough to do a different eye look with that palette every day!
I've found that playing with things on the weekend helps me figure out how to shave the time down during the week.  I have my bathroom routine -- and that's  *everything*, including brushing my teeth and dealing with my hair (which I refuse to do anything more than brush, so we're not talking about anything resembling styling going on here) -- down to fifteen minutes, but I have to curate my colors every weekend.  I typically use loose pigments instead of pressed shadow, so everything is in single-color pots.  I get overwhelmed with choice in the morning and just can't decide what colors to use if I have more than five or so to choose from.  I have the UD Alice in Wonderland palette, and I can use that one pretty much only on the weekends because I will just stand there and *stare* at the colors for ten minutes trying to decide what to use that day.  

But if I only have five shadows in the rotation box, I go from "Which colors will I wear today?" to "which colors will go with today's outfit?" -- and that is a much easier choice for me since my only real decision here is which top to wear since I wear black pants to work four out of five days a week, and I tend to wake up *knowing* what I want to wear to work that day, and that speeds things up because I tend to wear certain colors with certain shirts (hello, OCD!), so if I only have one or two of those colors in the rotation box, boom!  No decision necessary!

(The key to this for me is the rotation box.  It has my currently-in-use primer, shadow, liner, and mascara, right there and ready to use at ass o'clock in the morning.  I mean 5am.  It usually also has blush, but this week, I'm using a palette that won't fit in the box.  The rotation box also basically forces me to think about changing up my colors each week and using things I haven't used in a while, and it also helps me figure out the colors I *really* like because I will sometimes be sad to see a color move out of the box because it just *works* for me.  I've been *really* surprised at some of the colors that I've been sad to see go.)  

I've found that playing with things on the weekend helps me figure out how to shave the time down during the week.  I have my bathroom routine -- and that's  *everything*, including brushing my teeth and dealing with my hair (which I refuse to do anything more than brush, so we're not talking about anything resembling styling going on here) -- down to fifteen minutes, but I have to curate my colors every weekend.  I typically use loose pigments instead of pressed shadow, so everything is in single-color pots.  I get overwhelmed with choice in the morning and just can't decide what colors to use if I have more than five or so to choose from.  I have the UD Alice in Wonderland palette, and I can use that one pretty much only on the weekends because I will just stand there and *stare* at the colors for ten minutes trying to decide what to use that day.   But if I only have five shadows in the rotation box, I go from "Which colors will I wear today?" to "which colors will go with today's outfit?" -- and that is a much easier choice for me since my only real decision here is which top to wear since I wear black pants to work four out of five days a week, and I tend to wake up *knowing* what I want to wear to work that day, and that speeds things up because I tend to wear certain colors with certain shirts (hello, OCD!), so if I only have one or two of those colors in the rotation box, boom!  No decision necessary! (The key to this for me is the rotation box.  It has my currently-in-use primer, shadow, liner, and mascara, right there and ready to use at ass o'clock in the morning.  I mean 5am.  It usually also has blush, but this week, I'm using a palette that won't fit in the box.  The rotation box also basically forces me to think about changing up my colors each week and using things I haven't used in a while, and it also helps me figure out the colors I *really* like because I will sometimes be sad to see a color move out of the box because it just *works* for me.  I've been *really* surprised at some of the colors that I've been sad to see go.)  
I really need to start using a rotation box like this, what a genius idea!

Latest posts

Back