What can I do with these eyelids?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm 30 years old, new to the forums and a total klutz with makeup. I'd really appreciate your advice regarding my all-time makeup problem, namely my eyelids.

When my eyes are open and my eyebrows are relaxed, my lashes touch the upper eyelids, meaning that whenever I wear mascara they get smudges on them very quickly. When I close my eyes, my lashes also touch the lower eyelid, so I get mascara smudges there too, although not as quickly as on the upper eyelid. This happens with all the mascaras I've tried (Maybelline, L'Oreal, various others where I don't remember the brands), including waterproof mascara which for some reason I was hoping would be less likely to smudge.

Also, whenever I try to wear eyeshadow, within an hour or two it has collected in the crease and so I use my finger to smudge it around again. The eyeshadows I use are MAC applied with MAC brushes, and it happens even when I use their eyelid undercoat primer (Prep and Prime Eye).

I so envy all the girls I see who can maintain made-up eyes all day and/or night - which includes all my makeup-wearing friends so I have absolutely no one with whom to commiserate!

Does anyone have experience with this problem and know how to overcome it?

Here are pictures - please forgive the shine and the poorly filled-in eyebrows!

Hi there!

For lashes, I think that maybe you are going for mascaras that are "too wet", you need one that's a bit dryer so that doesn't happen. I would recommend you use a lash primer, I really like the primer from the mascara called "l'oreal Waterproof double extend bold lash fortifier and extender mascara", you can look at it on the Ulta website. It has a blue tube and white tube, the white tube is the one with the primer. I found that the primer is very light so it doesn't weigh down your lashes, and the mascara adheres to it a lot better instead of smudging all over your eye. For mascara like I said, avoid the "too wet" formulas, I would try maybe the Rocket by Maybelline, (on top of your L'oreal primer), it's dry but it works really well with that primer. Another dry one is from Tarte, "Lights camera, lashes".

The only downside to this combo is that it's difficult to remove from your lashes, but the neutrogena makeup remover wipes do the trick every time.

As far as eye shadow, I like the primer from TheBalm, use very very little of it, or the mac pro longwear concealer (also use very very little of it and blend it out with your fingers on your lids), also maybe the way you are applying the shadows? and the brushes you have, not necessarily the quality but the exact brush # for it's purpose? I would suggest looking at tutorials from Jaclyn Hill on youtube, she is really really good!

Thanks for replying, v0ltagekid!

The L'Oreal mascara you recommend is actually exactly the one I currently use! I had high hopes for it when I bought it, but unfortunately it still smudges. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I just want to be sure I understand you correctly: Are you suggesting to use the L'Oreal primer (white tube) followed not by the black tube, but instead by the Rocket mascara by Maybelline and/or the one by Tarte?

As for application, I have checked out various eyeshadow tutorials and have also had a MAC salesperson show me how to apply eyeshadow using their brushes (which I bought). She was also the one to suggest I try their eye primer. But the eyeshadow still ends up in the crease. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I will have to try the concealer you recommend.

Yup, that's exactly right, don't use the black side of that mascara, I have always hated that brush! lol

So use the primer, and then the mascara from either Maybelline, or Tarte, or both. I sometimes use the primer, rocket and then the tarte one to add some lenghth, but you probably don't need that since they are long anyway. So just try the primer from the L'oreal you have (let it dry for a minute), then use 2 coats of the maybelline Rocket mascara (let dry for a minute between coats).

Sorry about the eye shadow.. perhaps you are applying too much product? So it moves around? You could also try as a base, the NYX pencil in Milk, eye shadow sticks to that bad boy pretty well!

I will try one of those dry mascaras - thank you for the tip!

For the eye shadow, I'm pretty sure I'm not applying too much product. I usually don't apply very much - one light base color and one dark, the way the MAC woman taught me (more than two colors was too complicated for me seeing as how I end up using my finger to smudge it out of the crease once an hour anyway!).

I think my problems both with mascara and eye shadow have to do with my eyelids being as drooping as they are. What do makeup aficianados with similar eyelids do, I wonder?

Try a different primer. I have hooded eyes like you and they're oily. The primers I use are from Urban Decay and Tart. They both work about the same for me. I have tried NYX primer. Its good but not as good for me because my oily lidss. Try a different eye shadow too. Urban Decay, tarte, Maybelline eye tattoo ones. Even Wet and Wild works. I included a picture of me. I have Sugarpill eye shadow and Urban Decay primer. I hope this helps.

Hi Bluephoeenix, thanks for the primer tips! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm not very good at these things, but it doesn't look to me like you have the same eyelid problem that I do? Maybe it's just because your eyes are partially closed since you're looking down, but it looks like you have normal eyes to me?

Your Welcome. Here is another picture. I do most pictures with me looking down so people can see the eye look. If not let me now I will take a picture without make up to show you. Here's a picture. I hope it helps.
[/img]

I used to have this issue. I have super long eyelashes. Blinc amplified is my favorite mascara and the only one that will not smudge on me. I've tried every trick in the book and went years without wearing mascara until I found it. I still try other, but nothing else works this wellfor me.

Bluephoeenix, thank you so much for posting more pictures! It's strangely reassuring to know that someone out there struggles with the same thing. How long have you managed to make your eye shadow last? And which mascara do you use?

Jamie, thank you for the mascara tip! I am ordering a whole bunch of makeup now, including the Blinc amplified. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

The thing about blinc is you won't get huge thick lashes like other mascaras, they will be nice and natural, but still long and dark. Sometimes I later blinc over something thin like cover girl clump crusher to seal it in better. I'd rather have more natural lashes than raccoon eyes though!

It's the eye shadow primers I use. And eye shadows. Mostly Urban Decay Primer Potion. As for mascara I'm still experimenting. So far Tarte's lights camera lashes works fine. Urban Decay supecurl curling mascara (works fine, wipe off excess with tissue) Revlon Lash Potion (same) benefit they're real (very wet, still working out the kinks) If you get mascara on your lids, wait. Let its dry and take off with finger nail or a damp q tip. Lightly scrape away. Or have your eyes half way open and let dry. I have been doing make up since I was 15. I'm now 40. Trail and error is part of make up. I'm glad you feel better knowing there is other hooded eyes gals out there. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

With primer. It depends on the time of year.. Summer, 5 hours max. Winter, till I take it off. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I suggest go to Ultra or Sephora and get samples of primers. That way you won't spend $20+ for primers that won't work for you. Without primer...eye shadows don't stand a chance ob my oily lids! Also look for a base such as Maybelline Color Tattoo, NYX jumbo eyeshadow pencil in Milk or any color, or eyeliner! Yes I said eyeliner. They will make the shadows pop and last even longer. Let me know if you need any thing else.

Thanks for elaborating, bluephoeenix! Unfortunately I live in Sweden where it's difficult to get Urban Decay and Tarte, but I'm fine with mail ordering. Also, I know a lot of teenage girls who are only too happy to take wrong purchases off my hands! Besides, it's a traumatic experience for me to go to the makeup counters in department stores anyway - I always feel like the salespeople, no matter how nice they are, must think I'm really weird. Whenever I do anything girly-girly, all my insecurities come out and I'm like an awkward 14-year-old again, haha!

Speaking of age... Are you really 40?! I never would have guessed! You look half that age in your pictures! Seriously, just... Wow! Talk about hitting the genetic jackpot! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Jamie: Thanks for the tips!

I'll return and let you guys know how my experiments go!

I don't know much about brands outside of USA. its hard and exspensive for everyone to get those primers. Do you know any one that is within the states that can pick them up for you and ship it to you?

I second the Urban Decay primer potion. I don't have hooded eyes, but I used to use that primer and the eyeshadow stayed on all day looking fresh. Also, maybe keep your eyes down until the mascara dries? Or, put one of those round, flat cotton pads behind your lashes until they're dry, so it catches the colour? Also sometimes if you ask on the forums, some people might be willing to buy you things you can't get hold of and ship them to you. 

Quote: Originally Posted by Sociacademic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Hi everyone! I'm 30 years old, new to the forums and a total klutz with makeup. I'd really appreciate your advice regarding my all-time makeup problem, namely my eyelids.

When my eyes are open and my eyebrows are relaxed, my lashes touch the upper eyelids, meaning that whenever I wear mascara they get smudges on them very quickly. When I close my eyes, my lashes also touch the lower eyelid, so I get mascara smudges there too, although not as quickly as on the upper eyelid. This happens with all the mascaras I've tried (Maybelline, L'Oreal, various others where I don't remember the brands), including waterproof mascara which for some reason I was hoping would be less likely to smudge.

Also, whenever I try to wear eyeshadow, within an hour or two it has collected in the crease and so I use my finger to smudge it around again. The eyeshadows I use are MAC applied with MAC brushes, and it happens even when I use their eyelid undercoat primer (Prep and Prime Eye).

I so envy all the girls I see who can maintain made-up eyes all day and/or night - which includes all my makeup-wearing friends so I have absolutely no one with whom to commiserate!

Does anyone have experience with this problem and know how to overcome it?

Here are pictures - please forgive the shine and the poorly filled-in eyebrows!

Suggestion:

• Apply mascara as you normally would.
  • With a dry spoolie (looks like a mascara wand) run it through the lashes right after you apply the mascara.
  • Allow lashes to dry and reapply mascara before using the spoolie. You may need to do this a couple of times.

If the mascara is still "too wet" you can always take a bit of black eye shadow (or brown if you use brown mascara) and mix it into your mascara to "dry it out" so to speak. This may help (I'd suggest trying this with a cheap mascara you don't mind experimenting with),

Another option is to forgo mascara altogether and switch to faux lashes. There are a short lashes on the mascara that look absolutely natural and not dramatic at all. You can then apply the lashes and blend your normal lashes in with a spoolie and lash curler and forgo mascara altogether. No mess. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back